• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Education Reformers Alert

Started by Rosie the Riveter, March 16, 2007, 08:26 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie the Riveter

I like this school choice issue --so I think some LTEs and a round of letters to the school board members is in order  ;) Thanks for all the support.

Rosie the Riveter

I am happy to report someone is singing my song -- This just showed up in the Union Leader  ;D

1 hour ago

TEACHERS AT Manchester High School West oppose moving middle school students there to make up for the more than 900 Bedford students who will leave to be educated at Bedford's new high school. Many parents oppose redrawing district boundaries to change the distribution of students to West, Central and Memorial. There is a third, better, option.

Each city high school should be made a magnet school. Instead of the city telling parents where their children have to go to school, students and parents can choose what school best suits their needs and ambitions.

Each school would house a different magnet program, say science and math, liberal arts, and performing arts. The schools would offer all of the regular high school courses, but students who really wanted to concentrate on robotics would choose one school, music another, and writing or foreign languages another.

The idea is to fill each building by using the minimum amount of government force, and to enhance the learning experience for everyone.

When the city's high schools have to compete for students, the students will get a better education and parents will be happier knowing that their children are not trapped by district lines into a school that does not fit their needs.

http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=A+solution+for+West%3a+Magnet+programs+for+everyone&articleId=09353535-aefd-4e7f-aa0a-025de1ac7182

ny2nh

Kate - I read that this morning and wondered if it was from you - it sounded right in line with what you want.

error

An unsigned editorial is the official opinion of the newspaper.

CNHT

Quote from: error on March 26, 2007, 04:25 PM NHFT

Usually it's a combined effort of the editorial 'team'.
Here is a good LTE from our friend former Rep Paul Mirski:

RE: HB 927 - ?Adequacy,? taxes and the future of education in NH

Editor

According to CBN News, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce has just ranked New Hampshire among the top ten states for education quality.  Education in New Hampshire is still a local function, driven by parent input and administered through local school boards.  The cost is still paid for through local property taxes. 

In its 1993 Claremont I decision, the N.H. Supreme court decided to change N.H.?s historic education formula when it ruled, ? ... that encouragement of literature clause of State Constitution imposes duty on state to provide constitutionally adequate education to every educable child in public schools in state and to guarantee adequate funding.? (Emphasis mine).

The Court?s word  ?provide,? means the state must assume responsibility for all of the elements of education now accomplished by local school districts including the hiring of teachers, providing and maintaining school buildings, bussing, etc.  The implications of state takeover have been studiously avoided by governors and legislatures since the Court?s 1993 ruling.

In December of 1997, the Court further determined that local property taxes can?t be used to pay for what the Court described as the state?s ?guaranteed funding,? obligation.

Those happy to dispense with local control and especially with local school property taxes might want to think again. The centralized education model which the Court prescribed for New Hampshire is similar to systems employed by California and Hawaii. California and Hawaii scored dead last in U.S. Chamber education rankings.

Democrats in the N.H. House and Senate have embraced the Court?s education concept. Governor Lynch has embraced the N.H. Department of Education model for education  ?adequacy.? Lynch?s ?adequacy,? preference will cost about $9,000 per child and will require 1.2 Billion Dollars in new state spending. Lynch?s new, guaranteed-to-fail, state-run education system will require the  imposition of state sales and income taxes because proposed revenue from other sources, including gambling, won?t produce enough money to fund all this.  And, all this, is what Governor Lynch and his legislative leaders are working enthusiastically to achieve.

If  you care about quality education for New Hampshire?s kids you should be fighting state takeover tooth and nail.

Sincerely

Paul Mirski
POB 190
Enfield Center, N.H.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: error on March 26, 2007, 04:25 PM NHFT

Well then-- at least the UL agrees with me.

CNHT

Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on March 27, 2007, 01:56 PM NHFT
Since I was the only speaker at the public forum they have scheduled another one -- Tonight at 6:00pm at West High School in Manchester.

Let's see if I am the only speaker this time  ;)

Kate -- what meetings are you referring to? I don't have it on the calendar, can you clue me in?

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: CNHT on March 27, 2007, 03:15 PM NHFT
Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on March 27, 2007, 01:56 PM NHFT
Since I was the only speaker at the public forum they have scheduled another one -- Tonight at 6:00pm at West High School in Manchester.

Let's see if I am the only speaker this time  ;)

Kate -- what meetings are you referring to? I don't have it on the calendar, can you clue me in?

Well -- since your lovely town of Bedfud is pulling the kids out of West. The manch educrats are trying to figure out what to do with West.  They held a public forum, last week, at which was not well publicized. Since I was the only speaker they then opened another forum, that was supposed to be for West parents to the entire community. I am glad to report I was not the only speaker this time.  One of the "Future of West" committee recommendations was to create magnet schools and let parents choose which high school to send their kids to --

Since I see school choice as in incremental way to give parents more power in our current education system -- I had to go out and speak in favor of this idea.

CNHT

Oh yes. Well you will be happy to know that I retain the title of 'most hated woman in Bedford' because I stopped the building of that Taj Mahal ($79M) because there was no need for it, for about the last 10 years. Each time I had more and more bad things happen to me, but it was worth it. Finally the spenders either harassed or threatened enough people, their businesses and their children to make them vote  with them, or they ran them out of town altogether..... <sigh>

So, when that fight was lost, I moved on up to CNHT, because I know every trick in the book, having been attacked verbally and physically, and physically threatened as well.

We had a great thing going at West, with a very reasonable tuition. But the snobs here did not want their kids mingling with the 'lower class' you see? A crack the wall was not good enough for their precious kids. Ed calls schools like this one 'football fields with a library attached'. LOL And my taxes went up about $2,000 ------ so far...

Anyway, I worked at 'magnet' schools and you know what? It was a sham, because even though it gave you the impression that the parents and teachers had input, it only SEEMED that way at first. In the end it was really all the same... because it is run by the same system, after all, n'est ce pas?

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: CNHT on March 27, 2007, 09:23 PM NHFT

Anyway, I worked at 'magnet' schools and you know what? It was a sham, because even though it gave you the impression that the parents and teachers had input, it only SEEMED that way at first. In the end it was really all the same... because it is run by the same system, after all, n'est ce pas?

Magnet schools would give parents a choice -- and some choice is better than none.

powerchuter

Ah, the illusion of choice...

Which peanut in the bag should I eat first...

Is that a real choice?

CNHT

Quote from: powerchuter on March 28, 2007, 10:05 AM NHFT

Is that a real choice?

We soon found out it wasn't. Real choice would mean NOT gov't education.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: CNHT on March 28, 2007, 10:45 AM NHFT

Real choice would mean NOT gov't education.

Yes and there will be many intermediary steps to get the titanic education system there... I am looking at the big picture.

Rocketman

Quote from: CNHT on March 28, 2007, 10:45 AM NHFT
Quote from: powerchuter on March 28, 2007, 10:05 AM NHFT

Is that a real choice?

We soon found out it wasn't. Real choice would mean NOT gov't education.

Well, if there's even a little choice, it can mean that if a family draws the peanut that looks and smells especially like a little peanut-shaped turd, they don't necessarily have to eat it.

I think Rosie is thinking of the kids who might be "less screwed" if West became a school of choice.  And because she does the things she does, she actually has credibility with parents, the schools, and the media.  I say great work, Rosie!  If I was a kid in Manchester schools, I would be praying for this increment of reform.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Rocketman on March 29, 2007, 07:29 AM NHFT
Well, if there's even a little choice, it can mean that if a family draws the peanut that looks and smells especially like a little peanut-shaped turd, they don't necessarily have to eat it.

I think Rosie is thinking of the kids who might be "less screwed" if West became a school of choice.  And because she does the things she does, she actually has credibility with parents, the schools, and the media.  I say great work, Rosie!  If I was a kid in Manchester schools, I would be praying for this increment of reform.

I also think that parents getting used to actually having a choice can help in the long run.