• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I hope this is the right place to post this!

Started by Raineyrocks, March 20, 2007, 11:09 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

I found a link about a lot of sustainable communities and here's one that's in NH, what do you think?  I mean if anyone is interested in this kind of thing. I think there may be a couple more if anyone wants me to I will post the direct link but then you have to find the ones in NH.

Atlantis Rising, Inc.
Bradford, New Hampshire,
United States
We are a small community in a very quiet, secluded, rural location. There are presently two member families. We have a mixture of community-owned and private lands totaling 220 acres. We adjoin the 1,760-acre Low State Forest. Our mission is to practice sustainable agriculture, agroforestry, and silvaculture. There are presently two homes and one under construction on the land. A blacksmith shop is nearly complete. Future plans include selling hardwood lumber to cabinetmakers and building a woodworking shop. There is an established fruit and nut orchard. We may take on new members and purchase nearby lands. Long-term timber income is a community objective. Current member interests include Reiki, intuitive readings and healings, herbalism, organic grains, history, blacksmithing, sand and gravel pits, bioregional and watershed politics, libertarianism, community self-reliance, biodiversity preservation, solar energy, real estate, books and antiques, football, hiking, camping, moviemaking and movie watching, guitar, and traveling. Future plans include building a pond and sauna, large livestock, and possibly establishing a community branch in New Mexico.

PO Box 154
Bradford, New Hampshire 03221-0154 United States
Phone: 603-938-2723 (Bad phone number)
This data is based on the FIC's Communities Directory 2000 edition, www.ic.org, and/or cohousing.org.

Visitors Accepted
Population
Adult Members:
Child Members:
Open to new adults:
Yes
Open to new children:
Yes
Gender Balance:
50% M 25% F

Government
Decision Making:
By majority rule
Identified Leader:
No
Leadership Core Group:
No

Labor and Money
Financial Style:
Members have independent finances
Financial Style:
Other
(Local taxes on community owned real estate are levied upon the shareholders.)
Join Fee:
Yes
(A share is bought by the new member for the approximate market value of the corporation's assets that a share represents.)
Land and Buildings
Rural
Area:
220 acres (89.0 hectares)
Land Owned By:
The community
Land Owned By:
Individual community member(s)
Number of Residences:

Food, etc.
Percentage of Food Grown:
6-20%
Share Community Meals:
1 time/week
Dietary Choice or Restrictions:
Diet is up to each individual
Dietary Practice:
Omnivorous
Alcohol Use:
Used occasionally
Tobacco Use:
Seldom used

Social Factors
Open to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and/or Transgender members:
Yes
Educational Style(s):
Private school off the property
:: Public schooled

cathleeninnh

If you keep searching, you will find a number (<12 IIRC) of NH intentional communities. Most are like this one, a couple of families with an arrangement that works for them. If anyone is serious about creating another one or joining an existing one, I would recommend visiting and contacting as many as possible. Do lots of research. Don't start from scratch. Many have come and gone and the problems repeat themselves over and over.

Cathleen

KBCraig

Russell Kanning

I live in a sustainable community. We call it "The Shire". :)
Actually the area called Keene is very sustainable ... we only have to get rid of this extra government thing and then our community will be very peaceful, sustainable and based on cooperation. :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on March 20, 2007, 06:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on March 20, 2007, 11:09 AM NHFT
Gender Balance:
50% M 25% F

???

Yeah, that would make me a little nervous and Rick a lot nicer to me! ;D  I guess there's not all couples there. :-\

cathleeninnh

They may be coupled. We will call them the "other" gender to get to 100%.

Cathleen

Raineyrocks

Quote from: cathleeninnh on March 21, 2007, 11:22 AM NHFT
They may be coupled. We will call them the "other" gender to get to 100%.

Cathleen

I never thought about that. :duh: