• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Here's a link about communal currency

Started by Raineyrocks, March 20, 2007, 11:15 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

I thought it was interesting has anyone heard of this type of thing?

http://www.lets-linkup.com/71-USA.htm

David

Bad link. 
But I have heard of various communities around the world creating and accepting their own fiat currency as equal to the national currency.  The problem isn't that the usa mismanages its money, rather the problem is that all fiat currencies are eventually mismanaged.  this includes private currencies.  If you take a fancy piece of paper, and a very fancy press, it still only costs the usa about 5 cents to make a one dollar bill.  that is a 95% profit.  so either you have counterfeiters counterfeit until the money is worthless, or you have some way of forcing people not to print their own money that looks like your money.  Keep in mind that counterfeiters are like the gov'ts competition.  The process of making new money is properly called inflation.  But in gov't fiat currency, they can take the same piece of paper, put a different president on it and call it a hundred dollar bill.  so they can always print more, just by adding zeros. 
With gold or silver pieces, The profit percentage is much much lower.  The price is set entirely by supply and demand.  On the supply side it costs a lot of money to mine the gold, so unless the price is high enough, no one will make new gold.  This effectively ends inflation in the pure gold market.  This is the biggest reason gold will never be worth zero.  With paper currency, remember the 95%  profit ratio.  That one hundred dollar bill in your bank account can in theory become worth as little as 5 cents.  This has actually happened in France, Germany, and is in the process of happening in Zimbabwe.  In a recent story about Zimbabwe, some guy said the amount of money that could by a basic brick house several years ago, can now only buy a single brick.   :o

Raineyrocks

That's strange, I just tried the link and it worked. :-\

Interesting information even though most of the time currency topics confuse me, I've never been to good at figuring out the way it works.

powerchuter

Raineyrocks

Quote from: powerchuter on March 22, 2007, 07:00 PM NHFT
didn't work for me either

That's strange I click on the link I posted and it goes right to the page.  I tried to copy and paste all of the info on the page for you guys but it didn't come out very legible.  I guess you could just type in lets currency system into google. :)

lordmetroid

Libertariangoddess