• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Moving To NH, what city, town should I pick???

Started by lastlady, March 25, 2007, 02:16 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

lastlady

I am moving to New Hampshire, YEAH!!!! After attending the Liberty Forum last month and not knowing much about FSP I was so inspired by my experience there and the people I met that I came home and signed the statement of intent, I am 7596 FSP. Originally I was going to give myself a little over a year to make my move. However, as each day goes by I feel the need to make things happen now. Since I've spent very little time in New Hampshire I would like to get your opinions and feelings on the different cities and towns I could choose to live in.  I know everyone is different but if you could share with me your experiences it would be helpful in narrowing it down. Which places offer more jobs, have lower rents, what is the difference between Concord and Keene? If one didn't have a car is there public transportation available everywhere including outside of the cities? Thanks in advance.  :)

Dreepa

Quote from: lastlady on March 25, 2007, 02:16 PM NHFT
I am 7596 FSP.
Congrats!!!!!!!!

I guess a lot depends on where/what you want to do for a job and on what kind of 'activism' you are planning on doing.
If you don't have a car then I think:
Keene,
Manchester
Nashua
Concord
Portsmouth

You would have to work pretty close to where you live as well if you don't have a car.

You could always move to Manchester (middle of the state) and then check things out after you got here.

cathleeninnh

The more jobs there are in an area, the higher the rents. Most of the jobs are from Concord on south. Fellow activists are a great resource. Renting rooms, sharing rides and offering helpful information and/or assistance.

We want to help you get the information you need so don't be shy about what you can do and what you want to do when you get here.

Cathleen

powerchuter

Hi Lastlady...nice to meet you!  By the time you arrive we'll be even more organized and be more capable of directing new arrivals to the areas that suit them most...  You'll find our members and friends are always willing to help each other out and you should never hesitate to put out a general call on the forum for anything you might need  >:D

Oh, did I just do that...lol.

Hurry up and we'll leave the light on for ya...

d_goddard

The most important thing is to pick a place you LIKE.

I particularly like living in Concord, as it makes it possible (and convenient) for my new hobby: "part-time pro-Liberty lobbyist" at the State House.

MaineShark

Denise and I chose Northwood in large part because it's a nice, small town, but in close commuting distance to Concord.  So, small-town life, but easy to get to the city and actually make a living.

Joe

powerchuter

MaineShark

Just wanted to add that Denise and I have a room available to rent, if you're in need of a place to stay while visiting, and you could become a NH resident even before you fully move, if you have a dwelling-place here.

Joe

lastlady

Quote from: MaineShark on March 26, 2007, 11:49 AM NHFT
Just wanted to add that Denise and I have a room available to rent, if you're in need of a place to stay while visiting, and you could become a NH resident even before you fully move, if you have a dwelling-place here.

Joe

Thank you very much for your offer. I have a place to stay right when I get there for a short time while I get my own place set-up. I feel like being without a car I will want to be in the city. But still thinking everything over. Again thank you...

Avens O'Brien

Quote from: Dreepa on March 25, 2007, 02:20 PM NHFT
Quote from: lastlady on March 25, 2007, 02:16 PM NHFT
I am 7596 FSP.
Congrats!!!!!!!!

I guess a lot depends on where/what you want to do for a job and on what kind of 'activism' you are planning on doing.
If you don't have a car then I think:
Keene,
Manchester
Nashua
Concord
Portsmouth

You would have to work pretty close to where you live as well if you don't have a car.

Agreed on this issue.  Manchester has lots of jobs at walkable distances, but rents are slightly higher and our public transportation system is kinda hit-or-miss.

I've heard Nashua's good for rents and getting around without a car, but there are some sections of town I'd suggest tu estudies espanol. 

Concord's good if you want fast access to the state house and such.

What kind of employment will you be seeking here?  What are your interests (besides Liberty) - would you like a local theatre, park, baseball stadium, mall, nightclubs?  Different NH towns and cities obviously have different offerings.

I'm biased towards Manchester, but I've lived here 13 years... ;)  And our Republican mayor (who I helped get elected) is libertarian-friendly, which makes me happy.

:)

-Avens

cathleeninnh

I was walking to my car a month ago or so while in Concord. I saw a sign on a building maybe two blocks from the state house and three from the grocery store that advertised 1 bedroom apartments above the shops for (IIRC) $650 a month. Very reasonable and who needs a car in the middle of Concord?

Cathleen

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: aonarach on March 26, 2007, 01:25 PM NHFT
And our Republican mayor (who I helped get elected) is libertarian-friendly, which makes me happy.

I agree Guinta is much better than the Benevolent Bureaucrat Big Bad Bob Baines   ;) who was my high school principal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Baines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevolent_dictator

error

Eh, the public transportation in Manchester isn't hit or miss. It's all miss.