• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Status update on the Keene Free Press

Started by Russell Kanning, August 08, 2007, 12:36 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Some people are concerned that the Keene Free Press will not continue as is when Kat and I move away from Keene. That is understandable since we do so much reporting/distributing here in Keene.

Right now this is what the Keene Free Press does:

-Prints (7000 copies) an eight page monthly paper (magazine)
-Distributes (net 5000+) this magazine mostly in the Monadnock region concentrating in Keene, but also to supermarkets from Manchester to West Lebanon.
-Maintains a website ( http://keenefreepress.com ) with all print articles and additional content too large or too time sensitive to fit in the print edition. We have had steady growth of readers to this site.
-Cleans the side of Highway 101 East of Main Street in Keene to the Malborough line

Right now this is accomplished with these resources:

-Many local people give us original content/reporting/photos/video.
-We get letters to the editor from readers.
-We get permission to reprint articles from great liberty loving writers from outside the area.
-The print edition has a net cost of about $400/month to print and distribute.
-Kat does the editing/selection/layout for the print edition ... friends help with proofreading.
-Kat and I do most of the distribution, but we have/had some additional help in specific areas from some good friends of the paper.
-The website pays for itself and I upload most of the content.

We plan on maintaining our commitment to the Keene Free Press even after we move. The paper is a unique voice here in our corner of NH and we want to continue our work with it.

The only change we are planning at this time (unrelated to our move) is to cut back on our print advertising to make room for more content. Most businesses are too scared to advertise in our controversial paper, so I have decided to stop pursuing this funding route. We will continue to accept ads, but will focus on content and ask for donations from those people who love our free paper.

If you would like to help the Keene Free Press continue as before or even grow, here is the list of ways you can help:

-Take your reporter/photographer/copwatch badges to the streets and send in the content.
-Keep those letters to the editor coming. (Please keep them short so they fit in the paper
-Write those thoughtful articles about whatever your are passionate about.
-Draw up hilarious cartoons
-Donate money (let us know how you want it spent ... additional print copies, distribution, reimbursing reporters/columnists, more frequent printings .... etc.)
-Keep helping Kat proofread and edit the print edition.
-Help us distribute the papers in your area ... or just maintain the neatness of our stack at your grocery store.
-Advertise on our website
-Pick up trash with me on our Adopt-a-Highway section.

FTL_Ian