• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Business for sale

Started by Dreepa, April 03, 2007, 03:12 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

This could be interesting.

A business and maybe could hire a porc or two to help run it.

http://nh.craigslist.org/bfs/304580703.html

Russell Kanning

I wonder if it has to come with all the special deals they have with the local government to park there.

Crocuta

Those types of things are always good for the fair circuit.

KBCraig

Mmmmmm.... Bratwurst und Brotchen, mit Sauerkraut und Senf.... *drool*

PowerPenguin

That's cool. I hope they could be persuaded to put the business (all its assets at least) into a New Mexico Invisible LLC. The reason is that doing so would make the business into a "single package" as far as the sale is concerned. The new owner would have some very good legal protections against lawsuits, plus he would be able to simply "take over" any financial accounts, service contracts with other businesses, etc., if the previous owner allowed it.

This is a common practice amongst some savvy entrepreneurs: Build a business up, then sell it to someone as a "turn-key" system, often using an LLC to make title transfer easy. The seller benefits from the income, plus the relief from the hassles of "going big", while the buyer gets a fully up and operational enterprise without having to take on the risk and expense of building it up to a profitable level.

This concept is further outlined in JJ Luna's book, Skip College: Go into Business for Yourself. I'm sort of doing this, but more unofficially, as I'm not sure exactly what I want to be doing with my life (I'm in college now).

Is anyone here seriously thinking about taking this opportunity on?

KBCraig

Quote from: powerpenguin on April 03, 2007, 06:43 PM NHFT
Skip College: Go into Business for Yourself. . . . (I'm in college now).

+1 for the irony.  ;D

If I were in NH and had the cash available, I'd certainly consider it.

PowerPenguin

I know it is ironic. I'm 3 years in, too late to give up now at 38k/yr.

error

Quote from: powerpenguin on April 04, 2007, 04:16 PM NHFT
I know it is ironic. I'm 3 years in, too late to give up now at 38k/yr.

This is sometimes called the sunk cost fallacy.

PowerPenguin

Why are so many people here higher ed haters? How many have degrees? Error, I'm not attacking you personally, but I have found a lot of value in my education. No, it will not directly help me get into a career (I don't want to specialize in force-management), but I feel that the best way to reform and/or break the current system is to learn as much about it as possible. As the cliche adage goes, "know your enemy". College also helps one develop a lot of critical thinking and writing skills that are very important in any career, and even just for life in general.

error

If you're actually getting something out of it, then by all means continue. But your post hinted that you were NOT getting out of it anywhere near what you paid in.

sandm000

Quote from: powerpenguin on April 05, 2007, 01:50 AM NHFT
Why are so many people here higher ed haters? How many have degrees? Error, I'm not attacking you personally, but I have found a lot of value in my education. No, it will not directly help me get into a career (I don't want to specialize in force-management), but I feel that the best way to reform and/or break the current system is to learn as much about it as possible. As the cliche adage goes, "know your enemy". College also helps one develop a lot of critical thinking and writing skills that are very important in any career, and even just for life in general.

I for one don't hate higher education. I have a BS in biology.

I think that the problem nowadays is that so many kids go to college when they don't need to, the end result is a second high school.   Would you consider it a wise Idea to spend $38,000/yr on High School?

Another thing to remember is that the cost of education has risen faster than inflation, and just like Health Insurance, it has done so because of Government interference.  Government Loans to students and Government Grants to students mean that there is no chance of not receiving money for each student, there is no fear of failure, or concern of how to properly budget.  So campuses start to sprawl and money is spent willy nilly, because it is after all in their minds, just government cheese (which will never run out).... Which smiley is for sarcasm again.

I got really bitter right there so I'll stop.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: powerpenguin on April 05, 2007, 01:50 AM NHFT
Why are so many people here higher ed haters? How many have degrees?
BS Accounting
I would not do it again .... and my degree did lead directly to a career.

Quote...but I feel that the best way to reform and/or break the current system is to learn as much about it as possible.
That is what they keep telling you. :)

I can tell you to sell all your possessions and move to Keene to join the revolution and I wouldn't even be making money off of you.

The government tells you to go to law school ... to run for office ... to get politically involved .... they know none of those things will end their power.

Russell Kanning

I agree with error about the "sunk cost" could I recommend reading any of Warren Buffett's letters to his fellow stockholders. (he just came out with a new one)

PowerPenguin

I'll be moving to NH in '08, sometime between June and December. I'll be giving away/selling probably about half my possessions (I don't have a TON of them anyway) and moving over there. Russell you were in MT before you moved? I know this is OT.

SpeedPhreak

i dont know about NE/East coast... but the fair/show circuit around here makes it not even worth it.  beyond all your "papers" the actual entry fee for concessions is astronomical (all vendor fees are getting out of hand.. concessions is just the worst)... plus most venues take a % of sales on top of your already high vendor fee.

Out here you are paying $2 for a reg size drink, $5 for a hamburger, & all the yummy specialty food is more (phillies, gyros, etc..).

They don't charge those prices to get rich... most of it goes to overhead & fees.  1 guy I talked to last year said he lost $500 setting up for the 1 day show we were at & from what I remember he had a decent crowd most of the day.

Make sure you do your research if you are really considering this & ask this guy for financial statements showing earnings from the last couple seasons.