• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

KARMA?

Started by EJinCT, April 04, 2007, 11:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

EJinCT

Please excuse me if I've missed this elsewhere. I've searched the forums and the HELP section of the BB but to no avail. I've been using BB's for years but this is the first I have seen this feature.

Karma; What is it used for?   ( Yes, I do know what karma is as it relates to east asian philosophy.)

Is not having any a detriment in any way?  ???

Thnx!  8)

grasshopper

Ya, is it? a bad thing?  I wanna be a good boy!

Kat Kanning

If you post something nice or insightful or useful, etc. people are likely to give you positive karma.  If you act like a jerk, people will smite you and your karma will go down.  It's like your public reputation on the forum.

EJinCT

Kat Kanning

error

Well, sometimes it works like that.

Sometimes people will smite you for not feeding their pet trolls, or not believing in their particular conspiracy theory, or various other equally inane reasons.

Kat Kanning

Well, I will smite you for being a jerk to one on my friends.

error

Quote from: Kat Kanning on April 04, 2007, 04:26 PM NHFT
Well, I will smite you for being a jerk to one on my friends.

Yes, I can see that.

Of course, I had no idea he's one of your friends, only that he was acting like every other Internet troll.

d_goddard

Quote from: error on April 04, 2007, 04:24 PM NHFT
Sometimes people will smite you for ...
... being didactic, without having "Insufferable knowitall" proudly displayed under your avatar

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kat Kanning on April 04, 2007, 12:16 PM NHFT
If you post something nice or insightful or useful, etc. people are likely to give you positive karma. 

Insightful and useful, there goes my karma! ;D 

EJinCT

error: yeah, I figured as much.  As it is, I won't lose any sleep over having low karma.

raineyrocks: I gave you a point for making me laugh in the PC joke thread; that's useful in my book.  ;)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: EJinCT on April 04, 2007, 05:33 PM NHFT
error: yeah, I figured as much.  As it is, I won't lose any sleep over having low karma.

raineyrocks: I gave you a point for making me laugh in the PC joke thread; that's useful in my book.  ;)

Thanks EJ, I've been giving you karma when I've read your posts for a couple days now.  I wouldn't worry about the karma thing, I like to give it because it makes me happy for other people to get it.

error

Quote from: d_goddard on April 04, 2007, 05:06 PM NHFT
... being didactic, without having "Insufferable knowitall" proudly displayed under your avatar

But... I'm not an insufferable knowitall, just a garden variety jerk! At least that's what I'm told...

Dreepa

Quote from: error on April 04, 2007, 06:00 PM NHFT

But... I'm not an insufferable knowitall, just a garden variety jerk! At least that's what I'm told...
better to be a jerk than an angry asshole.. that is my burden.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Dreepa on April 05, 2007, 12:39 PM NHFT
Quote from: error on April 04, 2007, 06:00 PM NHFT

better to be a jerk than an angry asshole.. that is my burden.

I've spent years developing my Jackass persona.  ;D