• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Libertarian Doug Burlison Wins Local Office

Started by Atlas, April 05, 2007, 01:06 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlas

Missouri Libertarians won one and lost one in local elections held on Tuesday, April 3rd.  They have cause to celebrate after Doug Burlison won a four year term on the Springfield City Council.  Burlison defeated Conrad Griggs by 4,478 votes to 4,055 (52.5%) for the Seat C position on the nine member council.  Springfield has over 151,000 residents, making it the third largest city in Missouri.

Former Mayor of Chillicothe Jeff Foli lost his bid to regain that position.  Foli had won three elections before, twice for Mayor.  Early reports have him with 27% of the vote in a partisan contest.

Doug Burlison
Burlison credited his previous campaigns for US Congress and City Council for building his name recognition in his district.  When Burlison ran for council last time, he discovered so many unanswered questions about city operations that he led a successful petition drive to have the city audited by the State Auditor.  Now that he has ridden that local activism to an election victory, he will have an opportunity to do something about the results of that audit on the council.

When asked why he ran for office, Burlison said, "The City Council was crafting bad legislation and that needed to change."  He and his wife have eight children.  "I wondered when the get their driver's licenses and hit the streets, what kind of city will they find?"

Jeff Foli
Foli cited a change in campaign strategy as a possible reason for his defeat.  Foli said he campaigned far more aggressively before, while this time he took up a more gentle campaign style.  "The voters turn to me when they are getting screwed," he said.  As Mayor, he ruffled the feathers of fellow council members who represented big business special interests, and this time they helped Foli's Democratic opponent outspend him by an estimated 15:1.  Foli's prior election victories had come against Republicans.

We are proud of both Doug Burlison and Jeff Foli for fighting the good fight and helping to bring Liberty to their communities as elected Libertarians.

Quantrill

Sweet.   I remember when Foli was mayor.  I never lived in Chillicothe but had heard people talk about 'that libertarian guy'.  Springfield is a conservative town but it's nice to see a libertarian council member. 

Kudos to these guys.   Although I'd like for them to come to NH to continue the good fight...
:)