• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Rent in Keene?

Started by scudiac, April 05, 2007, 01:07 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

scudiac

Keene residents, how much does a studio or 1bedroom apartment go for in Keene?  Any good rental resources?  How is the housing rental market?  Any idea of what utilities might cost?  I'm in Oregon right now, so I don't run a heater 24/7 in the winter :)  Do a lot of houses in NH have wood stoves?  Is heating oil the norm? 

lastlady

I would love to know these things as well. I live in california and was wondering what the average cost for utilities is seasonally for a studio or one bedroom? Keene or Concord specfically. Also curious about if in most apartments the heat is gas or electric or a mixture? Do most apartments include water, trash or utilities???

Kat Kanning

Heating oil seems to be the norm.

Here's the classifieds for the Keene Statist newspaper:

http://www.sentinelsource.com/main.asp?SectionID=77&ListCategories=1

It'll give you an idea about rental costs.

Russell Kanning

a one bedroom right in keene can be around $700 ..... one of our friends was paying that.
usually the apartments include heat and hot water, so you don't have to worry about that ... but you might not even have access to the controls
the electricity is a little bitter higher here than the national average ... similar to what I paid in california ..... but you don't have to air condition much ... or at all ... like us. :)
If you own your own house, I would say you would spend the same or less for utilities as compared to warm places in california.

earthhaven

Apartment prices go down the further away from the college you get, which will also bring the noise down. I live in a four bedroom house directly across from the college and I am paying $618.75 plus all utilities. This summer I am moving into a two bedroom apartment a few miles from the college and I am going to pay $400 a month including all utilities. My living space is the same size, it's just the location.

Most landlords will not allow their tenants to use wood heat, and as Kat stated, oil and gas are the norm.

FTL_Ian

Move to Keene and help us eliminate property taxes and then watch the rents drop!   8)

EJinCT

Excellent!

TY Kat; just the info. I have been looking for!  :)

Kat Kanning

lastlady

yes thanks everyone for responding.

Russell Kanning

now if we could offer you cheaper rent .... that would be something. :)

lastlady

yes that would be great!!

It's interesting that smaller towns and cities have just as high rent as everywhere else.

scudiac

$700/mo for a 1br apartment sounds extremely expensive to me in a town of 22k.  Is property tax the reason why it's so expensive?  I pay less than $500/mo for a studio apartment in the middle of downtown portland and that includes water.  The only utilities I need to pay are electricity (never over $30/mo all year).  The ~$400/mo someone mentioned for a 2br apartment sounds amazing though :)

How are housing prices?  Craigslist isn't very good for Keene or NH in general.  Although, some of the homes I've seen for sale in Keene are going for under $200k and look pretty good.     

EJinCT

Quote from: scudiac on April 05, 2007, 05:50 PM NHFT
$700/mo for a 1br apartment sounds extremely expensive to me in a town of 22k.
The ~$400/mo someone mentioned for a 2br apartment sounds amazing though :)

The prices I have seen so far for apt.'s, in/around Keene, are about the same as where I live now. Perhaps its due to being a "college town".

I'm thinking that the $400 mentioned was for half the rent; but if not that deff. seems like a steal.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: scudiac on April 05, 2007, 05:50 PM NHFT
$700/mo for a 1br apartment sounds extremely expensive to me in a town of 22k.
Craigslist isn't very good for Keene or NH in general.  
depends on the location not the size of the town.
craigslist is pretty good in Keene .... considering it is only 22k ;)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: EJinCT on April 05, 2007, 05:59 PM NHFT
I'm thinking that the $400 mentioned was for half the rent; but if not that deff. seems like a steal.
If not .... I would move into a place like that. :)