• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Trouble with the property tax man and his henchmen in Keene

Started by Russell Kanning, April 05, 2007, 03:50 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

The mobile home park we rent space from will "proceed with legal action" if we continue to not pay Keene property taxes.

We have been wanting to leave this particular location for a while now (partly because our landlords are not decent people). But we will have to speed up the process in order to not butt heads with them.

error

dawn

This is new to the market in Westmoreland - could be interesting. Although, not paying taxes in Westmoreland will lead to trouble with the property tax man no matter where you live.

Westmoreland NH   $95,000.00

MLS #:   2646386
Bedrooms:   3
Style:   Bungalow
Baths:   2
Sq Feet:   960
   3 Rustic cabins in need of TLC on 11 acres of gently sloping land. Cabins had water via dug well, electricity, and baths with showers, living/kitchen and 1 bedroom each. 320sqft each. Was previously used as a family getaway and could be restored to such with a little work. Borders on Rails to Trails ROW allowing access for snowmobiling biking!

Russell Kanning

Quote from: dawn on April 05, 2007, 07:25 PM NHFT
Although, not paying taxes in Westmoreland will lead to trouble with the property tax man no matter where you live.
You're right .... although in this case we have a complication .... we don't want to fight the landlord .... only the city. Somewhere else we would just stay put.

Russell Kanning

FTL_Ian

What's your timetable on moving?

Which of the two taxes aren't you paying?  As I understood it, the park pays the property tax on the land and you're supposed to pay the tax on the trailer, correct? 

Russell Kanning

we are paying neither
If I was paying the property tax on the land we would be pushing them off the land. :)

Immediately :)

Russell Kanning

We have to decide whether to drag this box to another location or sell it. If we sell it, then we will have to pay the taxes which is distasteful.

powerchuter

how much is the box worth?

maybe we could all chip in and buy it from you and have a "box burning" along with a few flags...

Russell Kanning

no reason to burn our box .... it can be useful to us or someone else

Kat bought this house for $20,000 and we could probably sell it for similar.

One of the questions to answer ... is it worth moving?

error

I suppose you could move it out of Keene and then sell it. Or sell it to someone out of Keene and deliver it. Or...

KBCraig

Quote from: error on April 06, 2007, 01:24 AM NHFT
I suppose you could move it out of Keene and then sell it. Or sell it to someone out of Keene and deliver it. Or...

A mobile home is a titled item. The tax man will attach a lien to the title, no matter where it is moved or sold. Transferring title will require satisfying the lien. Selling without transferring title means finding a buyer willing to pay for something knowing its seizure is pending.

It's a difficult position. By design.

Quote from: Russell Kanning on April 05, 2007, 09:46 PM NHFT
we are paying neither

Can you explain? I know you're not paying the school portion of property tax on the mobile home (or did you change to not paying any of it?) But how are you not paying property tax on the lot rental? Everyone who rents real property pays the property taxes on the property, just as everyone who buys from Wal Mart pays a share of all the taxes paid by Wal Mart. Not writing the check yourself doesn't mean you're not paying it.

Lloyd Danforth

The older ones don't put up with moving well, but, I doubt if anything happens that can't be fixed.  It's a matter of whether the value of keeping it justifies the cost of moving it and then repairing it.
They might have a means of stopping you from moving it out of Keene if they know about it and the Park people will tell them.  The last thing the Park people want is to have it moved.  You might be able to get some consideration out of them for not moving it.

Russell Kanning

Probably the easiest thing for us to do is sell our place and find another place to live.