• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

How about developing a wider range of alternate "currencies?"

Started by Dave Ridley, April 06, 2007, 09:00 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Here's an alternative currency I've been using very successfully:

http://bookmooch.com

All it is is really a method for keeping score on the trades. You get fractions of points for offering books, points for sending books and as feedback, lose points for taking books. It's very simple.  This type of system could be used for anything - trading, exchaging work, etc.  I think it's cool that they allow you to donate your points to charity if you wish.

sandm000

Quote from: Barterer on April 10, 2007, 12:29 AM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on April 06, 2007, 09:00 AM NHFT
OK here is an idea.  What if we were to start blurring the line somewhat between barter and money? 
*cough* www.ripple.libertybrew.com *cough*

Also, someone seriously needs to design, and mint some FSP coins.  If no one jumps on that soon, I just might.  Put a porcupine on one side and a Lauren Canario head on the other.    Forget stamping a USD equivalent on your coins like libertydollars, and don't use any formulas or ties to USD at all.  Just indicate the weight and purity of the silver in each coin (do 1/2 and 1oz. pieces of 3-nine-fine silver) and pass them among people who understand its value.  That's an idea I intend to carry out, but I mention it now because I'd be thrilled if something like that happened sooner than I can manage.

Hello barterer

This place has dies for sale like for $500 apiece.

So all you need to do is put together the money for ~$500 worth of die fees (per side) in addition to enough money for the silver rounds you stamp to not be excessively priced (<$1 over spot per coin, :. more than 1000 1oz silver rounds.) and then you can do it.

See here for the previous attempt at getting some money for silver together.

Dreepa

Quote from: Barterer on April 10, 2007, 12:29 AM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on April 06, 2007, 09:00 AM NHFT
OK here is an idea.  What if we were to start blurring the line somewhat between barter and money? 
*cough* www.ripple.libertybrew.com *cough*

Also, someone seriously needs to design, and mint some FSP coins.  If no one jumps on that soon, I just might.  Put a porcupine on one side and a Lauren Canario head on the other.    Forget stamping a USD equivalent on your coins like libertydollars, and don't use any formulas or ties to USD at all.  Just indicate the weight and purity of the silver in each coin (do 1/2 and 1oz. pieces of 3-nine-fine silver) and pass them among people who understand its value.  That's an idea I intend to carry out, but I mention it now because I'd be thrilled if something like that happened sooner than I can manage.
B... I looked into that and have a bunch of into.
I was going to have 1 silver oz porc  and an outline of a porcupine.
You need to do about 1000 oz to make it break even in the beginning.
I am still interested in doing this but it will have to wait until my new roof goes on.

SpeedPhreak

What about 1 of the oldest currencies in the world - salt?  Not practicle as a currency today but depending on what disaster manifests at any given time in the future it could be very valuable.

Anyone watch Jericho?

error

Lloyd Danforth

Barterer

Thanks for the info, Dreepa and Sandm000. I will look into those leads.  In order to mint coins of a particular design, what method do you think is most viable?

1. punch own blanks from silver rolled to an exact thickness, strike coins, remelt scrap, roll, repeat
2. buy ready-made blanks and strike them (I have not seen those anywhere, but they should be available on request)
3. buy minted rounds and over-stamp them (would probably make a double image unless stamped very heavily)
4. just have a company mint a design for you

I was thinking of buying a fly press, dies and ready-weighed blanks, and just cranking them out.  In order to get by with a fairly small press, I'd probably heat the blanks, but I'd hate to mess up the tempering of the $500 dies.

Lloyd Danforth

I know a little about manufacturing things.  Punching out the blanks would be the most difficult process.  I would try to start with ready made. I'm guessing that the temperature at which silver softens is too low to effect the temper or hardness of the dies.
Coins are made with control measures that might be hard for you to maintain, but, who cares if they aren't perfect?  As long as they all look and weigh the same, they will be a 'Bart' and people will use them.
I would like to see coins made in smaller weights than mentioned here, like, 1/4 & 1/10 oz.

Dreepa

Quote from: Barterer on April 10, 2007, 11:07 PM NHFT
Thanks for the info, Dreepa and Sandm000. I will look into those leads.  In order to mint coins of a particular design, what method do you think is most viable?

4. just have a company mint a design for you

I was looking at this option.

Lloyd, I was looking at 1/2 ozes as well.  1/10 the they told me costs (currently) to mint as the 'value'.

Also remember it would take about 1000 to break even on this.  I was thinking of having it done for LF07 and then Porcfest... maybe I will do it in the fall for LF08.

Dave Ridley

What are some other things you would like to be able to use for currency?

SpeedPhreak's idea about using salt does sound interesting.   Does salt have any limits on its shelf life?  If it is backed by ancient history that is a notch in salt's favor.   Bosnian friends told me it commanded huge prices where they lived during the war and they were in probably the safest city in central Bosnia. 

Yes it's cheap now, but again the point is to use it as currency *while* it's cheap so that you have more on hand if the lights go out, as well as a wider range of currencies you can use when you want to buy something.

I'd accept it but as always would want to research a valuation first.

Question about vodka:  At what temp does it freeze?   To what extent if any does it pose a fire hazard while stored and bottled?

Lloyd's light bulb idea has potential but I heard incans are about to go obsolete.  And the new cheap replacements, since they are new, should get cheaper over the next few years.  On the other hand if incans become rarer they might later command some sort of additional value. 

error

Incandescent bulbs aren't about to go obsolete. They're about to be outlawed. (So only outlaws will have incandescent bulbs?!) You can be sure a black market will arise for these.

SpeedPhreak

salt is basically a rock - it wont ever go bad.  it is essential to life & that is why it is so valuable.  It will preserve food/kill microbes - no refridgeration?  pack it in salt & it will be good for months even years if you salt in a cold environment - ie kill & butcher an elk in the dead of winter... salt cure it - all outside.  The cold preserves the meat until the salt has time to do its work.

obviously right now w/salt fields & mines operating at full capacity you can buy 50lb bags for like $10 or less.  Depending on the scenario of if/when the shtf, salt will (as it once was) be worth its weight in gold.

vodka/alcohol should store just fine as long as it is not exposed to flame as any leaking vapors could ignite.  I was a bartender for several years & actually had problems lighting anything under 100proof (at sea level 80proof usually lights fairly easy).  You had to preheat the alcohol to get enough vapors for sustained flame.  If you used 151 or everclear (about 95% alcohol) it would ignite instantly.  As far as freezing - assuming an 80proof vodka you would have to get it to about -200 or more F.  Pure alcohol/ethanol won't freeze until -117C.  So your bottle of vodka couldn't really be frozen w/a regular or even commercial freezer... dry ice or liquid N would probably do it though.

No need to freeze alcohol - especially higher proof booze.  It should never go bad.  Even lower proof - schnapps, wine, beer.  Will keep for a very long time (hundreds of years) if stored properly (airtight, dark, cool) - wine/mead that has been bottled for over a century has been found to be in perfect condition.

Raineyrocks

Wow, interesting information SpeedPhreak, thanks! :)  Now, that's what I call thinking outside of the box! ;D

Insurgent

Yep, that's all correct. While vodka and other spirits won't freeze, wine and beer will--I know this from unfortunate personal experience!  :blush:

PassionatePantherrr

Mmmm, mead-money ;-) Honey-money would also be quite deeelicious, and convertable into the alternate mead form of currency... heheh

Quote from: SpeedPhreak on April 17, 2007, 10:14 AM NHFT
No need to freeze alcohol - especially higher proof booze.  It should never go bad.  Even lower proof - schnapps, wine, beer.  Will keep for a very long time (hundreds of years) if stored properly (airtight, dark, cool) - wine/mead that has been bottled for over a century has been found to be in perfect condition.