• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What part of New Hampshire has the lowest property taxees

Started by tracysaboe, April 08, 2005, 07:33 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

tracysaboe

What part of New Hampshire has the lowest property taxes?

Indeed, what part of New Hampshire has the lowest taxes period?

What is the most liberty-friendly town/city/municipality or county?

Tracy

Kat Kanning

AlanM

Tracy,
The rate of taxation is not the most important factor. The value of the property is. Houses in the Seacoast, Nashua, and other places cost 2 to 3 times as much as homes in say Lancaster. Assessed valuation x tax rate= total tax due. The tax rate in Littleton, say, might be more than Exeter, but the value of the home in Exeter might be 3 times as high as a similar home in Littleton. Always find out what the previous years tax bill was.

davemincin

Another factor you also have to look it is what is the rate based on?  100% of assessed value, 50%, or somewhere in the middle?  My understanding is this varies from community to community, and without this information your rate means nothing.

tracysaboe

Quote from: AlanM on April 09, 2005, 09:25 AM NHFT
Tracy,
The rate of taxation is not the most important factor. The value of the property is. Houses in the Seacoast, Nashua, and other places cost 2 to 3 times as much as homes in say Lancaster. Assessed valuation x tax rate= total tax due. The tax rate in Littleton, say, might be more than Exeter, but the value of the home in Exeter might be 3 times as high as a similar home in Littleton. Always find out what the previous years tax bill was.

I really don't care about that so much. I care about not giving any government entity 1 red cent more then I half to before the legal maphia decends on me. I suppose if High PRoperty values are caused by planning, zoning, etc. that's bad too. And I suppose if it's cheeper property, even at a higher percentage I could possibly be paying less taxes.

Here's a more general question I guess, that perhaps somebody could answer.

Has anybody calculated "Tax freedom day" on a per municipality basis?

Tracy

tracysaboe

Quote from: katdillon on April 09, 2005, 04:14 AM NHFT
http://www.theroereport.com/PropTaxesHome.htm

The "2004 Property Tax Rates" link looks like it has what you want.

That report is very difficult to read. Maybe it's just not formatted properly for word-pad or something, but I have no idea where what goes.

Humm. I need to have some idea of the best place I want to move, before I go. I'd like to find some property I can use to build an underground house. Hopefully, because it'd undeground and different (and banks won't touch it with many types of loans because of that.) the valueation would be very very low.

Also, if I lived in a place that didn't have myriads of building codes, and permits, etc. I could do my work with-out needing to let anybody know officially -- at least for some time. (Perhaps the valueation for some time could just be on the undeveloped land part if they don't know. I know their's some parts of New Hampshire where property can be bought for as little as $300 an acre. I only need 1 or less)  Maybe my valueation could be about $300 for some time.

Anyway, I just hate property taxes, they're the worst form of serfdom in my book.

Tracy

Kat Kanning

tracysaboe

MS Word? OK, thanks. I'll look at it again.

Didn't mean to sound ungrateful Kat. I apreciate it.

Tracy

KBCraig

Quote from: katdillon on April 10, 2005, 02:50 AM NHFT
Oh sorry...it looks good in Word.

Just a gentle reminder... there is a significant minority who are Microsoft-free, and even among those who aren't, not everyone has Word.

I'm totally MS-free (MacOS X 10.2.7; I browse with Firefox). Mary has a WinXP box, and I've loaded WordPerfect on it so I can read memos from work. Neither of us has a Word-compatible app.

But, everyone can read .txt or .rtf, and anyone can read .pdf with a free download.

Hey, Mac users have a bigger market share than the INTJ freestaters!  ;D

Kevin

Russell Kanning

If you want to save money....move to where houses are cheaper :)
If you want to save property taxes.....don't pay them :D

GT

Quote from: davemincin on April 09, 2005, 04:04 PM NHFT
Another factor you also have to look it is what is the rate based on?? 100% of assessed value, 50%, or somewhere in the middle?? My understanding is this varies from community to community, and without this information your rate means nothing.

In my town our valuation just went up to 80%. Next year it will go up to 100%. When they RAISED the taxes they claimed that the town was forced to do it. Something about a new state requirement to tax at 100% evaluation. I assume it's just more BS from town officials and not a state requirement. The taxes paid went up 18-24%! and it will be another 20% next year.

Anyone know if this state requirement is correct?

erich

Quote from: KBCraig on April 11, 2005, 02:08 AM NHFT
Just a gentle reminder... there is a significant minority who are Microsoft-free, and even among those who aren't, not everyone has Word.

I'm totally MS-free (MacOS X 10.2.7; I browse with Firefox). Mary has a WinXP box, and I've loaded WordPerfect on it so I can read memos from work. Neither of us has a Word-compatible app.

Don't forget Open Office, which displays MS-Word documents pretty well.

http://www.openoffice.org/

AllanHampton

Thanks for the URL erich.

I have posted Joanne Campbell?s elucidated copy of the U.S. Constitution at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FSP-ARK/files/

Joanne did the best job of explaining the Constitution that I know of and I recommend everyone download it. There two formats available, TEXT and RTF. Download the RTF version if your word processor will run it for the TXT version loses Joanne?s bold formatting of the words in the Constitution.

Allan