• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Where does NH rank in education?

Started by Quantrill, April 08, 2007, 10:10 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

CNHT

LOL I love it. The reason this doddering old fool had to write? They are troublemakers who live to threaten us, that's why. And I imagine the Monitor is getting scores of letters denouncing this whole thing.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Quantrill on April 08, 2007, 10:01 PM NHFT
I would love to have a full page to write an editorial like that meatspanker did, but unfortunately LTEs have to be brief.  So here's what I wrote:

Quote from: Quantrill's reply to the moron in the Concord Monitor
  I'm puzzled as to why Hopkinton lawyer   Frederic K. Upton thinks the constitutional amendment proposed by the governor would reduce the state's financial responsibility for public education.  Currently the state does not even pay for "half the cost of an adequate education" and yet New Hampshire
ranks 3rd in the country according to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. 
  He goes on to say: "A substantial percentage of our country's citizenry is illiterate, and nationally our children are performing poorly in science. Too many of our own youngsters are quitting high school before graduation."
  Mr. Upton, this does not apply to New Hampshire students.  They repeatedly outperform the students of
other states and all this without your "adequate education" theory.  You think the Governor's amendment is
not enough.  I say it is too much.  The students are doing very well and who are you to try to change that?

That's a good LTE --- short, to the point and written so that "regular" people can get it.

Quantrill

Dreepa

And Q..... Hopkinton spends almost $15K per kid..... : )

CNHT

Quote from: Dreepa on April 09, 2007, 01:41 PM NHFT
And Q..... Hopkinton spends almost $15K per kid..... : )

Mr. Upton comes from Hopkinton you poor thing dreep....  :(

dalebert

Weren't the high property taxes brought into this debate by our opponents? I seem to recall one justification being that we could lower or at least keep from raising property taxes with other sources of revenue for schools. Of course that's just a tactic to make this sound better. I don't buy it for a minute. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. They'll continue to raise property taxes as well. But if that is part of the debate, just wanted people aware of it so they could address it.

CNHT

Quote from: dalebert on April 09, 2007, 05:44 PM NHFT
Weren't the high property taxes brought into this debate by our opponents? I seem to recall one justification being that we could lower or at least keep from raising property taxes with other sources of revenue for schools. Of course that's just a tactic to make this sound better. I don't buy it for a minute. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. They'll continue to raise property taxes as well. But if that is part of the debate, just wanted people aware of it so they could address it.

It is a red herring since this same bunch WON'T tell people they should get their butts to town meeting and vote DOWN ALL spending if they want, in fact, they are usually the ones telling people that they need to vote for MORE spending and in fact harass and mistreat those they know won't vote for more spending. They love the idea that MOST people do not turn out for town meeting....

Quantrill

I would like to get an actual dollar amount from some of these far-lefties.  At what point do they finally say "ok, we're taxing the people enough.  There is no longer a need for any more tax increases."   If 50% of your paycheck isn't enough, when will they be satisfied?  75% or more?  I just can't understand how selfish and indignant these people are. 

Not to mention they have no idea what "fairness" really is.  Fairness is letting you keep what is rightfully yours.  Taking anything by force even for a 'noble cause' is most definitely NOT fair...

CNHT

Quote from: Quantrill on April 09, 2007, 06:29 PM NHFT
I would like to get an actual dollar amount from some of these far-lefties.  At what point do they finally say "ok, we're taxing the people enough.  There is no longer a need for any more tax increases."   If 50% of your paycheck isn't enough, when will they be satisfied?  75% or more?  I just can't understand how selfish and indignant these people are. 

Not to mention they have no idea what "fairness" really is.  Fairness is letting you keep what is rightfully yours.  Taking anything by force even for a 'noble cause' is most definitely NOT fair...

This is just it, they will NOT tell you because they want to 'open the dialog' about taxation......

Translation: We want unlimited access to your pocketbook.

Anyone who STILL defends these communists (Ds) on this forum should hang their heads in shame because they are no liberty lovers.

Tyler Stearns

Frederic Upton:
QuoteAs for the state's constitutional obligation to provide an adequate education as now commanded by the constitution, the question might be more appropriately put: Can this state afford not to pay the full cost of this obligation?

Now commanded by the constitution?!  Why wasn't it commanded when the constitution was adopted in 1784?  Why did it take over 200 years to come to this conclusion?  And to answer his question: yes, the state can afford to not pay the full cost of an adequate education.  We haven't thus far and we are ranked 3rd in the nation. 

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Quantrill

Hey man, write an LTE.  I doubt they'll print mine, but the more the merrier...

CNHT

Quote from: Tyler Stearns on April 09, 2007, 06:44 PM NHFT
Frederic Upton:
QuoteAs for the state's constitutional obligation to provide an adequate education as now commanded by the constitution, the question might be more appropriately put: Can this state afford not to pay the full cost of this obligation?

Now commanded by the constitution?!  Why wasn't it commanded when the constitution was adopted in 1784?  Why did it take over 200 years to come to this conclusion?  And to answer his question: yes, the state can afford to not pay the full cost of an adequate education.  We haven't thus far and we are ranked 3rd in the nation. 

I hope you pointed it out to him.

Tyler Stearns

Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on April 10, 2007, 08:44 PM NHFT
Quote from: Tyler Stearns on April 09, 2007, 06:44 PM NHFT
Frederic Upton:

BUT -- It is broken --they just don't know how to fix it so they throw money at it

From a practical and incremental standpoint it is not broken, but I know what you mean.  We need school choice as a first step and then government out of the education business soon thereafter.  But for right now I think 3rd in the nation for schools is a good thing and they shouldn't be making it worse.

CNHT

I don't care whether they print my letters or not. They will be picked up from different online sources... I still plan to send at least one per week to all the papers I have listed.
This is one I sent this morning..

To the editor:

Quote from recent newspaper article:  "There are 400 legislators to deal with, a pesky Executive Council constantly threatening to thwart your will, and an archaic tax system embedded deep in the state's culture that prevents you from doing much of anything."

That's the attitude of some, who think that 'doing something' means raising taxes even though more revenue is not needed in our current situation.

Right now, you are looking at a 400% increase in your car registration bills, an income and sales tax on top of that, and increased business fees. Is this really justified? Not according to the latest reports.

"New Hampshire revenues did well in March.  Business taxes were up 19% above expectations, leading the state to collect $29 Million  more in all taxes than expected in all taxes.  The state is running a surplus of around $46  Million so far for this fiscal years that ends in June." according to Denis Parker's newsletter.

Also, once again, NH was chosen the #1 best state in which to live with the second to lowest tax burden per person in the country. We are prosperous, healthy and well educated. (http://www.morganquitno.com/sr07ml.htm) Our school product is the 3rd best in the nation.

NH always does more than any other state, and has done it with less, and has done it successfully. There is no education funding 'crisis' -- only a crisis of greed which will never end if the governor caves into this selfishness.

The new Democrat legislature is attempting to destroy NH bit by bit.....new taxes, loss of personal freedoms; they want income tax for education when we already spend $53M per 3,000 students in some towns. They even want to remove our beloved General Stark motto from the car tags, which the governor recently had placed on all welcome signs at the borders. Where will this end?

Please write to the governor and tell him to get his veto pen ready. Ask him to think about how he may go down in history as the man who single-handedly, and completely, destroyed NH, its economic stability, and the freedoms its people have enjoyed for decades.
###

The editor of one paper wrote me back almost immediately to ask about the Parker newsletter which is just a recap of the week's doings in Concord...(Nuthin' we don't already know) but one group has me re-post it on their website.

I further questioned the editor with this: "The first quote was from the Concord Monitor who apparently holds the elitist view that there is a mandate to have the Democrats impose all these new laws that take away personal freedoms and raise taxes, whether needed or not, despite nothing of the kind being talked about during their campaigns. I mean how did we get to be #1 and so happy, healthy and prosperous if our tax system is so archaic?

Why does everyone want to move to NH, then despoil it?"

Dreepa

Quote from: Quantrill on April 08, 2007, 10:01 PM NHFT
I would love to have a full page to write an editorial like that meatspanker did, but unfortunately LTEs have to be brief.  So here's what I wrote:

Quote from: Quantrill's reply to the moron in the Concord Monitor
  I'm puzzled as to why Hopkinton lawyer   Frederic K. Upton thinks the constitutional amendment proposed by the governor would reduce the state's financial responsibility for public education.  Currently the state does not even pay for "half the cost of an adequate education" and yet New Hampshire
ranks 3rd in the country according to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. 
  He goes on to say: "A substantial percentage of our country's citizenry is illiterate, and nationally our children are performing poorly in science. Too many of our own youngsters are quitting high school before graduation."
  Mr. Upton, this does not apply to New Hampshire students.  They repeatedly outperform the students of
other states and all this without your "adequate education" theory.  You think the Governor's amendment is
not enough.  I say it is too much.  The students are doing very well and who are you to try to change that?

Was printed today:
http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070411/REPOSITORY/704110335/1029/OPINION03