• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Rochester resident arrested for firing a gun in his yard

Started by lildog, April 09, 2007, 09:21 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

error

Quote from: Dreepa on April 20, 2007, 10:07 AM NHFT
When will libertarians stop crying about private roads?
It won't happen for a long time.... we need to focus on other things..

When will libertarians stop crying about private schools?

When will libertarians stop crying about private health care?

When will libertarians stop crying about private charity?

Dreepa

So you think that the vast amount of the populace is ready for private roads?

I am simply saying that focus should be maintained on things where something will happen instead of worrying about items that won't happen for a long time.

lildog

Quote from: Dreepa on April 20, 2007, 01:58 PM NHFT

At least in the case of roads the US Constitution gives the government that responsibility.  In the case of things like health care etc they are going far beyond their duties.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: lildog on April 20, 2007, 03:28 PM NHFT

At least in the case of roads the US Constitution gives the government that responsibility.  In the case of things like health care etc they are going far beyond their duties.

Article 1, Section 8: "general welfare" >:(

Lloyd Danforth

I am simply saying that focus should be maintained on things where something will happen instead of worrying about items that won't happen for a long time.

One should focus on obtainable goals, but, maintain the debate on things like road privatization, because every time it comes up someone learns about the concept who has never heard of it. Also, by fleshing out the subject, a system of road privatization can be sculpted that covers all the 'what if's'.

mvpel

Quote from: Pat McCotter on April 20, 2007, 04:53 PM NHFT
Quote from: lildog on April 20, 2007, 03:28 PM NHFT

Article 1, Section 8: "general welfare" >:(

Article 1, Section 8: "To establish Post Offices and post Roads;"  ???

Mark

Quote from: tracysaboe on April 20, 2007, 10:01 AM NHFT
As far as the cops are conserned, yes.

BTW if drunk driving wasn't illegal it's likely most drunks would drive slower.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/crovelli5.html

Absolutely. The drunk drivers are such a responsible crew that we can be pretty confident that they would drive slowly while shitfaced.

Lloyd Danforth

Well....maybe the professionals.  The kids probably won't.

tracysaboe

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on April 20, 2007, 10:41 PM NHFT
Well....maybe the professionals.  The kids probably won't.

;D

That's true!  I knew a person who drunk so much, that he actually drove better when he was drunk. He got pulled over one time because his taillight was out  ::) The cop smelled alchohol and told him to take a breatheralizer test. They said he should have been dead of alchahole poisoning with all the alchahol in his system.

Never had an accident in his life.

Tracy

tracysaboe

Quote from: Dreepa on April 20, 2007, 10:07 AM NHFT

Now, if roads were privately owned, the owners could set their own policies and expell people they felt were a danger to their other customers.

When will libertarians stop crying about private roads?

Because every damb time I start talking about how government is evil and the free market can do things better, the 1st objection I always hear is "Government does some good things? They build roads. Do you want to be driving on dirt roads? etc"

The implication is that if government didn't build roads we'd all still be driving on dirt trails. They have know idea that pavement wasn't invented by government, No idea that the vast majority of road building is pork-barreling, etc.

It helps to be able to be consistant and respond to this knee-jerk retort by being consistant and point out that government doesn't even to that very well.  Instead we get pot-hole-filled roads, and multiple accidents a day, a police state who can pull you over for any reason, real or contrive, and government cameras watching your every move while your on "their" roads.

Tracy

tracysaboe

Quote from: Mark on April 20, 2007, 09:59 PM NHFT
As far as the cops are conserned, yes.

BTW if drunk driving wasn't illegal it's likely most drunks would drive slower.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/crovelli5.html

Absolutely. The drunk drivers are such a responsible crew that we can be pretty confident that they would drive slowly while shitfaced.

You talk as if you didn't even read the article.

Tracy

LiveFree

Tracy, I don't mean to be a dick here, just throwing something out there.  But do you think the "police state" mentality on roads would be even worse if they were private, depending on the owners, of course?  Do you think that the surveillance camera issue would be even worse if roads were private?

tracysaboe

It's not in a companies financial best interest to harass their customers. Or their customers will use alternatives, and they'll loose business. Highway entrapreneurs would be balancing customer service, with security, just like every other free market business.

Tracy

Dreepa

Quote from: LiveFree on April 24, 2007, 10:09 AM NHFT
Tracy, I don't mean to be a dick here, just throwing something out there.  But do you think the "police state" mentality on roads would be even worse if they were private, depending on the owners, of course?  Do you think that the surveillance camera issue would be even worse if roads were private?
If I spent a $1B on a road.. I would certainly have cameras on it and probably force people to have something like a fastlane transponder.

Lloyd Danforth