• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Verichip

Started by ChiMoHe, April 14, 2007, 01:59 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: error on April 15, 2007, 07:35 AM NHFT
Yes, and with implanted RFID chips, you are the inventory being tracked.

When you get lost walking around You will be able to call 'Onstar' on your cellphone and they will tell you where you are!

eques

The following is a real On*Star conversation:

Caller: Help! I don't know where I am!
On*Star: Please be calm, sir, let me find you in our database.
Caller: *whimpering sounds*
On*Star: Sir, I'm reading you as in... this can't be right.
Caller: Oh, please, won't you help me??
On*Star: Sir, I'm reading you as in your car... with your wife... in front of your house.
Caller: Oh, thank you, thank you!  Wait... that isn't my beautiful wife!  That isn't my beautiful house!!

(sorry :))

ChiMoHe

41mag

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the anti-theft magnetic devices were only a flag.  RFID has a unique serial number that can contiue to be tracked for life. 

error

Quote from: 41mag on April 15, 2007, 12:54 PM NHFT
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the anti-theft magnetic devices were only a flag.  RFID has a unique serial number that can contiue to be tracked for life. 

You're exactly correct.

Though WHAT is on an RFID chip can vary. It doesn't have to be a serial number. It could be, for instance, your credit card number.

ChiMoHe

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID#_note-19Human implantation
The Food and Drug Administration in the US has approved the use of RFID chips in humans.[21] Some business establishments have also started to chip customers, such as the Baja Beach nightclub in Barcelona. This has provoked concerns into privacy of individuals as they can potentially be tracked wherever they go by an identifier unique to them. There are some concerns this could lead to abuse by an authoritarian government or lead to removal of other freedoms.

On July 22, 2006, Reuters reported that two hackers, Newitz and Westhues, at a conference in New York City showed that they could clone the RFID signal from a human implanted RFID chip, showing that the chip is not hack-proof as was previously believed.[22]

Quote from: http://blogs.reuters.com/2006/07/22/high-tech-cloning/
July 22nd, 2006, filed by Nic Fulton
Updated with comment from VeriChip spokesman:

With the debate over genetic cloning in full swing, hackers could not have cared less at a conference in New York City, where two presenters demonstrated the electronic equivalent of making a copy of an implanted RFID or radio frequency ID chip.

The point was to show just how easy it is to fool a detection device that purports to uniquely identify any individual.

Annalee Newitz (left) and Jonathan Westhues (right) presented their experimentations at the HOPE Number 6 conference in New York City in front of a crowd of hackers, tweakers and phone phreakers.

?This is the first time someone has cloned an human-implanted RFID chip,? Newitz said. ?Since I have been chipped Jonathan refers to me as an implanted pet.?

Newitz said she has an RFID chip implanted in her right arm manufactured by VeriChip Corp., a subsidiary of Applied Digital.

?Their Web site claims that it cannot be counterfeited ? that is something that Jonathan and I have shown to be untrue.?

The pair demonstrated the cloning process: Westhues held a standard RFID reader against Newitz?s arm to register the chip?s unique identification number.

Next, Westhues used a home-built antenna connected to his laptop to read Newitz?s arm again and record the signal off her implanted chip.

Westhues then takes the standard RFID reader and waves it past his laptop?s antenna. The reader beeps, showing Newitz?s until then ?unique? ID. ?It actually has no security devices what-so-ever,? Newitz said of VeriChip?s claims that its RFID chips can not be counterfeited.

VeriChip spokesman John Procter said in a phone interview that he had read about Newitz and Westhues work, but the company had not been able to review the evidence. He had no specific comment regarding their ?cloning? project.

?We can?t verify what they may or may not have done,? Procter said, adding that: ?We haven?t seen any first-hand evidence other than what?s been reported in the media.?

?It?s very difficult to steal a VeriChip ? it? s much more secure than anything you?d carry around in your wallet,? he added.

ChiMoHe

http://www.verichipcorp.com/files/PhysicianStarterKit_sm%28highres%29.jpg

this link is an image of the kit the doctor gets to implant the chip

Quote from: http://www.information-age.com/article/2004/november/now_the_tags_are_being_muggedAccording to a US expert, hackers could use a recently launched software tool to reprogram RFID tags out in the field. This is particularly worrying, since these devices will be widely used to track the whereabouts of physical objects. Reprogramming the tag will be as good as stealing the object.

The software tool, called RFDump, means that retailers who use RFID to tag their goods could be vulnerable to attack from hackers and technologically adept shoplifters.

The warning was given at a security briefing in Las Vegas by Lukas Grunwald, a senior consultant at RFID software supplier DN-Systems Enterprise Solutions GmbH. The company had just announced the release of RFDump, which allows users to read, modify and display data held by an RFID tag.

Grunwald admitted: "This is a huge risk for companies. It opens a whole new area for shoplifting as well as chaos attacks." For example, a thief could mark down the price of an expensive piece of jewellery before paying for it; or an underage hacker could illegally buy an adult movie by switching the RFID tags.

ChiMoHe

Quote from: http://advanco.com/advanco_en/html_eng/rfid_livre_blanc.htmUSA RFID Legislation

California ? SB1834
PURPOSE: Restrict the way businesses and libraries in California use RFID tags attached to consumer products or using an RFID reader that could be used to identify an individual.

Defeated by members of the California state assembly June 25, 2005.

California - SB768 (Identity Information Protection Act of 2006)
PURPOSE: Would establish interim protections to apply to RFID tags used for government mandated forms of identification (but the bill does not apply to RFID tags issued by private entities); it would establish interim civil and criminal penalties for cases in which personal information is collected via RFID without proper disclosure and prior consent. Would also establish a study commission to report on long-term legislative options by 30 June 2007. Full text of the bill is available online at [16] .

Passed by the California Senate with a vote of 30 to 7 on August 31, 2006 (it was already passed by the State Assembly). Vetoed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Massachusetts ? HB 1447, SB 181
PURPOSE: Requires labels regarding use and purpose of RFID on consumer products; requires the ability to remove tags; and restricts info on tags to inventory and like purposes.

Maryland ? HB 354
PURPOSE: Creates a task force to study privacy and other issues related to RFID and report on whether legislation is needed.
Missouri ? SB 128
PURPOSE: Requires a conspicuous label on consumer packaging with RFID disclosing existence of the tag and that the tag can transmit a unique ID before and after purchase.
Nevada ? AB 264
PURPOSE: Requires manufacturers, retailers and others to ensure placement of a label regarding existence of RFID on product prior to sale.
New Hampshire ? HB 203
PURPOSE: Requires written or verbal notice of existence of a tracking device on any product prior to sale.
New Mexico ? HB 215
PURPOSE: Requires businesses purveying tagged items to post notices on their premises and labels on the products; requires removal or deactivation of tag at point of sale.
Ohio ? SB 349
PURPOSE: Prohibits an employer from requiring an employee of the employer to insert into the employee's body an RFID tag. [17]
Rhode Island ? H 5929
PURPOSE: Prohibits state or local government from using RFID to track movement or identity of employees, students or clients or others as a condition of a benefit or service.
South Dakota ? HB 1114
PURPOSE: Prohibits requiring a person to receive implant of an RFID chip.
Tennessee ? HB 300, SB 699
PURPOSE: Requires conspicuous labeling of goods containing RFID disclosing existence of RFID and that it can transmit unique information.
Texas ? HB 2953
PURPOSE: Prohibits school district from requiring student to use an RFID device for identification; requires school to provide alternative method to those who object to RFID.
Utah ? HB 185
PURPOSE: Amends computer crime law to include RFID.
Wisconsin ? Assembly Bill 291
PURPOSE: Prohibits anyone, including employers or government agencies, from requiring people to have microchips implanted in them. Violators would face fines of up to $10,000 per day per offense until the chip is removed.
Passed May 30, 2006 [18] [19]

where's new hampshire in this ....

New Hampshire ? HB 203
PURPOSE: Requires written or verbal notice of existence of a tracking device on any product prior to sale.

Are my kids a product?   [edit]well ... i'm not planning on selling my kids so ...lol[/edit]

Is there any requirment as to where this notice is located?  should I be looking around the school for a notice? or reading the public notices in the paper?

[edit]ditzy girl:  do my breast implants have implants? [/edit]

ChiMoHe

Sally Bacchetta makes some interesting points ....

Quote from: http://ezinearticles.com/?RFID:-New-Hampshire-HB-203:-Does-it-Have-Teeth?&id=124199HB 203 includes the following provisions:
1. Stipulates that no consumer product or identification document (such as a credit card or ATM card) to which a tracking device has been affixed, may be sold without a label containing a universally accepted symbol. The requirement also applies to packaging of the product.

There are no stipulations about the location of the label on the product or package. Therefore, a label affixed to the product inside a package, or to an internal portion of the package itself would satisfy the labeling requirement, but be undetectable by the consumer. From the perspective of consumer notification, nothing would be accomplished.

2. Requires that identifying labels be affixed to the product or document or its packaging by the entity that implants the tracking device in the product or by the entity that imports products that contain tracking devices.

The earlier in the supply chain that a label is affixed, the easier it is to obscure the label from consumer view.

3. Prohibits anyone from implanting tracking devices into human beings without the informed consent of either the individual or a legal guardian.

Is this really the issue? I'm sure that some people are afraid of stealth implantation, but the larger issue is the potential curtailment-- of access, commerce, resources, transportation, and other freedoms-- for people who are unwilling to accept an implant. "The Such & Such Company is pleased to inform you that we are converting to RFID-based commerce for all of our consumer services. We regret that we will no longer be able to serve those of you techno-dinosaurs who elect not to receive an RFID implant, but we wish you good luck in finding a non-RFID-based gas & electric provider/ bank/ pharmacy/ grocery store/ hospital..." That's the real fear.

4. Prohibits the state or any of its political subdivisions from issuing any radio frequency devices to track individuals, with exceptions such as incarcerated prisoners or residents of nursing or assisted-living facilities.

'Exceptions such as'... what exactly does that mean? Is the tracking limited to incarcerated prisoners and residents of nursing or assisted-living facilities or not? If not, what are the other exceptions?

5. Establishes a commission on the use of tracking devices to study their usage in government and business and monitor their effect on the economy and society.

That's broad and vague enough to ensure that not much of anything gets done. Study their usage and do what? Monitor their effect and do what? Who will conduct these studies and how will they be conducted? Who is going to oversee the commission? What are the limits of its authority? Etc.

note to moderater:  This thread doesn't really have any "Civil Disobedience"  -- I probably should have posted it else where ... if you agree and feel the need to move it .. please do ... thankyou ... sorry for misplacing the topic ...