• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Found a job in NH, need help finding a rental

Started by rya4408, April 18, 2007, 05:30 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

rya4408

Hey everyone, I've found a job in NH but I need some advice finding a place to live.  I've checked classifieds and those forrent websites (which suck).  I'm renting a house with three roommates right now and that works well so I'm up for anything.  Any advice will helpful and appreciated.  I'll be moving to Manchester area (or surrounding areas).
Thanks,
Ryan

Quantrill

When are you moving? 

I'm currently living in Manchester in a house with 7 other people.  I should be moving out soon, so that would be an option for you.  I've been looking at studio apts.  and there seem to be a few for ~700 with all utilities.  Also, Craigslist is a good place to start...

error

Lloyd Danforth

ny2nh

Quote from: Quantrill on April 18, 2007, 05:35 PM NHFT
When are you moving? 

I'm currently living in Manchester in a house with 7 other people.  I should be moving out soon, so that would be an option for you.  I've been looking at studio apts.  and there seem to be a few for ~700 with all utilities.  Also, Craigslist is a good place to start...

I'm always surprised that one of you doesn't rent a larger apartment or condo and rent out the rooms in that. Alec's is great - but it seems to be the only place in Manchester that newcomers can move to. I guess there is some rick to it - and maybe some landlords might have a problem with not knowing who is living in their rental - but it would seem like a great way to live in a less "congested" place that was more like a home.

Rochelle

QuoteOh, we're not THAT annoying, are we?
It's funny because even though the house is full up, It's still nice and quiet in my room :) (well, aside from David's snoring ;)) Must be louder upstairs. Plus, if you were living in an attic, you'd probably want to move out, too...it's getting warmer....and so will the attic.

QuoteI'm always surprised that one of you doesn't rent a larger apartment or condo and rent out the rooms in that. Alec's is great - but it seems to be the only place in Manchester that newcomers can move to. I guess there is some rick to it - and maybe some landlords might have a problem with not knowing who is living in their rental - but it would seem like a great way to live in a less "congested" place that was more like a home.
Some former roommates have gotten an apartment and become roommates in that. I think the reason most of us haven't done what Alec's doing is money--if we had more of it, we wouldn't be living at his place ;)
Also, it takes a special kind of sangfroid to be able to put up with strangers moving into your house, sharing common areas with them and then having them move out at a moments notice.
I'm not sure I would be into it. Anyhoo, if anyone else wants to do what Alec's doing, there are several buildings in the same neighborhood that are for sale...anyone up for a Free Ward Project?

error

Quote from: Rochelle on April 19, 2007, 10:43 AM NHFT
QuoteOh, we're not THAT annoying, are we?
It's funny because even though the house is full up, It's still nice and quiet in my room :) (well, aside from David's snoring ;)) Must be louder upstairs. Plus, if you were living in an attic, you'd probably want to move out, too...it's getting warmer....and so will the attic.

I can't hear it over here. Too many walls in the way.

Quote from: Rochelle on April 19, 2007, 10:43 AM NHFT
Anyhoo, if anyone else wants to do what Alec's doing, there are several buildings in the same neighborhood that are for sale...anyone up for a Free Ward Project?

Maybe. But not in this ward, and not in the current housing market.

Dreepa

Quote from: error on April 19, 2007, 02:14 PM NHFT
the current housing market.
This article is a little of the 'sky is falling' thinking.
Many of the things in it are true... however....I have been hearing about 'the bursting bubble' since I got in the mortgage business in 1998.  When I left it in 2000 I heard about it.... when I left CA in 2005 I was still hearing about it.  I guess someday they will be right.

It doesn't have to crash... it could just go down slowly.... and people who put no money down and have interest only loans .... sorry no sympathy from me.

Quantrill

QuoteI'm always surprised that one of you doesn't rent a larger apartment or condo and rent out the rooms in that. Alec's is great - but it seems to be the only place in Manchester that newcomers can move to. I guess there is some rick to it - and maybe some landlords might have a problem with not knowing who is living in their rental - but it would seem like a great way to live in a less "congested" place that was more like a home.

Do you have a room for rent?   ;D

I talked to a guy who was thinking of getting a 3BR place but I think he declined because there's no way to know how often you'd have vacancies.  And who wants to pay for 2 extra bedrooms?  Rent is already ridiculously expensive...

ny2nh

I've done the "rent a room" thing at my house...during the last campaign. I also had a freind stay with me for a couple of weeks after her house burned down. I learned that I'm not so sure I am cut out for sharing my home with someone else. :) It's too bad, too, because that extra $$ was really nice. The time during the campaign wasn;t so bad because I was hardly ever home anyways. I'll probably offer the space again for the '08 elections.

I understand about the risks of renting someplace larger.....I guess it would have to depend on just how much more a larger place was. I would think that if a 2 floor, 3 br condo was $400 more a month, all you would have to have is one roommate to make ends meet....2 roommates and you save up for in case there is a gap down the road. It always seems that there are people looking for someplace to live when they get here. I've never seen anythiong beyond the main area in Alec's.....but it just reminds me too much like a college off-campus apartment.

b1ueemu

Quote from: rya4408 on April 18, 2007, 05:30 PM NHFT
Hey everyone, I've found a job in NH but I need some advice finding a place to live.  I've checked classifieds and those forrent websites (which suck).  I'm renting a house with three roommates right now and that works well so I'm up for anything.  Any advice will helpful and appreciated.  I'll be moving to Manchester area (or surrounding areas).
Thanks,
Ryan

I'm looking to move before the end of July, and I was hoping to rent a 3 or 4 br place to operate as another Porcupine Manor (to allow people to move in short-term). When there aren't people to rent, the additional room(s) could be used as offices or additional living space. But the other anchor of my plan just bailed, so I'm open to pretty much anything. Are you attending Porcupine Festival? Maybe we could meet up there.

James

ps. Craigslist is a good resource for finding a room.

Kat Kanning

Did the person who started this thread ever move?