• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Can we have a favicon?

Started by TackleTheWorld, April 22, 2007, 09:46 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Sorry, Jane. I forgot to send a reply. It's on the way.

cathleeninnh

Nothing on this machine and the flame on the laptop.

Cathleen

CNHT

Woo hoo I finally see the porcupine..cute!

cathleeninnh

I don't see anything now.

Cathleen

Alex Libman

(Hope there are no regulations here about "necroing" old threads without a license.)

I'm a big fan of favicons!  I have a tendency to hyperlink so much that I wanna stick multiple links into a single word.  The best way to handle that is with some sort of a submenu / popup, but that isn't feasible on things like forums, so I end up adding text-based mock-icons in square brackets, like:

Mary J. Ruwart [G+] [FB] [IN] [WP] [AMZN]

Doesn't this look better: 

Mary J. Ruwart

Now, about the current NH Underground favicon... 

You know I cannot tell a lie...

It stinks like a week-old brown taco!

Which, coincidentally, is also how it looks.

Can't some of the graphics wizards here do better?

A favicon should be instantly recognizable, but it doesn't have to make perfect sense.  Not all images look good shrunk down to 16x16 pixels, so it has to be very readable.  A London Underground logo imitation also won't look good - you won't even be able to fit the letters "NH".

Some white images (like a Guy Fawkes / V for Vendetta mask) also become unrecognizable.  Black and gold are obvious colors to use.

But how to identify this site?...   Hmmm...  How about: 

It's from the emoticons collection, but scaled down in size.  It could be edited to look better with this scaling, and to make the pitchfork more prominent.

I may be out of touch, but this emoticon definitely makes me think of Russell and this forum!

jerry

Quote from: Alex Libman on June 18, 2013, 06:13 PM NHFT
(Hope there are no regulations here about "necroing" old threads without a license.)

Actually there is.  Anybody with negative Karma is not allowed to necro an ancient thread.

Didn't you recently post a message about how you lied abut your location and moving to NH?

Everyone else thinks it looks like a porcupine.
Why do you need to be so rude and insulting?

Instead of demanding someone else do the work to provide something you find more acceptable, why don't you do it?

If this were my forum you would be banned as a troll.

Alex Libman

Quote from: jerry on June 18, 2013, 07:10 PM NHFTDidn't you recently post a message about how you lied abut your location and moving to NH?

I've told the lie to benefit FSP.  And then I couldn't live with the lie, because I am truthful about everything else, and confessed it freely.

Quote from: jerry on June 18, 2013, 07:10 PM NHFTWhy do you need to be so rude and insulting?

I seem to need to be honest and constructive, as well as humorous.  Doesn't it look like a brown taco?

Quote from: jerry on June 18, 2013, 07:10 PM NHFTInstead of demanding someone else do the work to provide something you find more acceptable, why don't you do it?

Demanding?  I am providing constructive advice.  And I did suggest an alternative.

No good deed goes unpunished...

Quote from: jerry on June 18, 2013, 07:10 PM NHFTIf this were my forum you would be banned as a troll.

You are being insulting for no constructive purpose what-so-ever.  People like you are the reason why I'm not in NH.  No one in NJ has ever called me a "troll"!

And if you were to analyze the meaning of the word "troll" logically, and look at all of my contributions to libertarian causes over the last 7 years, you would see that I am the polar opposite.

KBCraig

Quote from: Alex Libman on June 18, 2013, 07:27 PM NHFT

No one in NJ has ever called me a "troll"!

Your tent city isn't under a bridge?

Alex Libman

No.  (Destiny's Bridge is a metaphoric title that predates my involvement.)

Now, back to favicons.

I just tried to be helpful - to make NH Underground look better in everybody's bookmarks menu / etc.  If not, please disregard.

Russell Kanning

You know what is funny
I never saw this thread before today. :-)
You would have to seriously sweet talk Kat (into doing any changes to this forum) or help her spread Bible verses on Facebook.

Kat Kanning

when I look at it, I see a little porcupine favicon

http://www.nhunderground.com/favicon.ico

Free libertarian

Quote from: jerry on June 18, 2013, 07:10 PM NHFT

Actually there is.  Anybody with negative Karma is not allowed to necro an ancient thread.

Didn't you recently post a message about how you lied abut your location and moving to NH?

Instead of demanding someone else do the work to provide something you find more acceptable, why don't you do it?

In other news today, Jerry, perhaps channeling Lloyd, leapt into front runner status for the "new curmudgeon".  My previous doubts about his ability to handle the job appear to be unfounded.    ;D

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

You are a mere amateur Bob. :-)

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Free libertarian on June 19, 2013, 03:00 PM NHFT
Quote from: jerry on June 18, 2013, 07:10 PM NHFT

In other news today, Jerry, perhaps channeling Lloyd, leapt into front runner status for the "new curmudgeon".  My previous doubts about his ability to handle the job appear to be unfounded.    ;D

;D ;D ;D

You made Becky's day, thanks for the comic relief... we needed it.

Thanks to Jerry "the New and Improved Curmudgeon" for the hops plants, Jim called to say you gave them to him... super  8)  :)