• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

The new 7-up

Started by Dreepa, April 23, 2007, 08:14 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

I guess it is 'all natural' now.... well it sucks... it just isn't the same.

error

I think Coca-Cola tried something similar with "New Coke". That was a complete disaster.

penguins4me

Or a resounding success, if you consider the surge in sales once they brought back the "old Coke". ;D

error

Quote from: penguins4me on April 24, 2007, 12:03 AM NHFT
Or a resounding success, if you consider the surge in sales once they brought back the "old Coke". ;D

Which, as we all know, wasn't the "original formula."

penguins4me

error makes me sad. :(

True, although I was likely too young to ever really appreciate the "original formula" - well, original before the switch to and from "New Coke". I understand the original formula contained some amount of cocaine, hence the drink's name, and that it was at some point intended as a treatment for headaches.

I'm afraid of the consequences should I ever pick up a case of Mexican or kosher Coke.

error

Quote from: penguins4me on April 26, 2007, 03:31 PM NHFT
error makes me sad. :(

Not my intention, I assure you.

And the Coke which returned after New Coke was swept into the dustbin of history wasn't the same, either. It had sugar replaced with high fructose corn syrup, which tastes completely different, and some say causes all kinds of health problems when consumed in large quantities.

You can put the blame for this squarely on the government, for its stupid agricultural policies.

David

Neither the mexican or kosher coke has cocaine in them.  They have real sugar in them instead of the high fructose corn syrup that is in US coke. 

tracysaboe

I like the new 7-up.

Still uses high fruictous Corn syrup instead of Sugar though.

That would really make it taiste better.

Tracy

error

With the government driving up the price of corn, who knows, they might actually switch back to sugar soon.

aries

error

Quote from: aries on April 27, 2007, 10:04 PM NHFT
good
corn syrup sucks

Government interference in markets sucks more. The reason the companies switched to corn syrup in the first place was the government driving up the price of sugar via import tariffs.

Lloyd Danforth

I have read several novels by Carl Hiasson.  'Striptease' is one of them.  The underlying theme is that the Florida sugar producers exert some kind of hold on the government to keep sugar prices up.  Hiasson is also a columnist for a FL paper, but, I don't know if he ever covers the subject in his columns.

aries

Quote from: error on April 27, 2007, 10:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: aries on April 27, 2007, 10:04 PM NHFT
good
corn syrup sucks

Government interference in markets sucks more. The reason the companies switched to corn syrup in the first place was the government driving up the price of sugar via import tariffs.

I know, I'll just be glad if they switch back to sugar.
It's not the best sweetener alive but it's better than corn of all things. Just comparing that soda made with splenda (which isn't really made from sugar - google it) it even tastes better than corn syrupy plain soda.

Pat McCotter

I went through Canada on my way to Michigan last week. I picked up a bottle of Coke and saw that there is sugar instead of corn syrup in it.

aries

Yep because Canadians have to pay an import tarrif on either corn syrup or sugar, as neither is grown very widely there, whereas we grow corn in the US but import sugar