• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

probably a stupid question but....

Started by ravelkinbow, April 14, 2005, 02:07 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

ravelkinbow

What about our vehicles?  Are there things we should do to help in sure they run right and start when the temp. falls bellow zero??   Sorry about the stupid question, it is just some of the bizzare thoughts that I have been having.   ;D

Lloyd Danforth

Making sure your anti-freeze is rated to take the cold is the most important thing. Good tires. Some people have snow tires, but, all weather, are common today.  I'm sure in the far north some people use Block Heaters or Dipstick Heaters that they plug in at night.  Don't go into winter with a questionable battery.  I always try to remember to clean my battery cable connections in the Fall.  Some garages offer what they call 'winterising' services.
I'm sure many people get thru the winter without doing anything except the anti-freeze.

Ron Helwig

Atached garages are a must have here in Minnesota. I expect they're pretty useful in NH - I'll know next winter.

With my 2002 vehicle I haven't done anything for winters other than switch from using the air conditioner to using the heater.  :)

ravelkinbow

Thanks much for the insight, I didn't know about the anti-freeze being rated.  It's not that it doesn't get cold here, but we very rarely get bellow zero, so I thought it would be worth asking.  My husband's Jeep has a block heater, maybe I should consider one of the dipstick heaters you mentioned for mine, it is a 94 grand prix sle .

Kat Kanning

It boggled my mind that they fill the radiators here with anti-freeze....no water at all!  Also you need wiper fluid that doesn't freeze. 

I thought you were coming from MA?  It's not that different, is it?

mvpel

We moved here from California in November of 2003, and a couple of weeks later, our windshield sprayer stopped working unless the car had been running a while.

We discovered that our California-purchased wiper fluid had frozen into slush, and frozen solid in the lines leading to the sprayers.  It took about 20 minutes worth of engine heat to thaw out the lines and the tank every morning.

Warming up the car, spraying the level in the tank down a good bit, then filling it back up with New Hampshire wiper fluid, rated down to 30 below, did the trick.

ravelkinbow

Quote from: katdillon on April 15, 2005, 05:22 AM NHFT
I thought you were coming from MA? It's not that different, is it?

We don't go bellow zero much at all in Plymouth.  If it happens it is very rare and only a day or two in a row.  We did have a blast about 2yrs ago and it lasted 2 weeks.  I figured Where I am moving to Grafton which is much farther north it would be worth asking the "stupid question"
:)

Russell Kanning

Well the president can give you weather reports for Grafton.....and welcome you with open arms to his part of NH.

Kat Kanning

Russell Kanning

Another Mass mover to help "free" the good people of Grafton. :)

ravelkinbow

Quote from: russellkanning on April 16, 2005, 09:23 AM NHFT
Another Mass mover to help "free" the good people of Grafton. :)

yes, but please don't judge us because we are from Mass.  We are nice people....really  ;D

We are going next week to see the property we are going to rent and I have some job interviews lined up...wish us luck!

Russell Kanning

If you won't judge me for being from California 8)

ravelkinbow

NEVER!!  I was being facetious because there are so many postings about people from mass being rude and such....many are that is true....one of the very good reasons to move!!

Russell Kanning

Pat K