• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Civil Disobedience Poll

Started by Michael Fisher, April 14, 2005, 09:28 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

SethCohn

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on April 15, 2005, 03:23 PM NHFT
Licensing it is!  This poll is clear.  Let's start planning for something for a week or two from now.

Actually, I'm moving in two weeks, so that's not good.  How about three weeks from now?

Let's tentatively set it for Saturday, May 7, at noon in Concord, NH.

From the current House calendar:

The National Association of Massage Therapists, NH Chapter, would like to extend an invitation for all members and staff to visit Room 307, LOB, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 3 for free massages.  Therapists from all over the state, the best in the profession, will be here to offer their services.

While a Tuesday might not be the best day for some... you might get some real press coverage if you are giving unlicensed massages (specially if they are good ones) right outside the LOB, to protest the licensing requirements.  Might even get some support for reducing the licensing requirements from some of those people.

See http://www.thebodyworker.com/massagenationalcertification.htm for some good arguments to use.

Dave Ridley

LiveFreeOrDie

Quote from: SethCohn on April 15, 2005, 04:21 PM NHFT
if you are giving unlicensed massages (specially if they are good ones) right outside the LOB, to protest the licensing requirements. 

This is cracking me up!  Hey, would those massage chairs count? 

KBCraig

Quote from: LiveFreeOrDie on April 16, 2005, 01:06 AM NHFT
Quote from: SethCohn on April 15, 2005, 04:21 PM NHFT
if you are giving unlicensed massages (specially if they are good ones) right outside the LOB, to protest the licensing requirements. 

This is cracking me up!  Hey, would those massage chairs count? 

Hey, they say a good flogging is just like a massage!

(ooops... TMI?)

Kevin

Michael Fisher

Alright, we're going to need some things for the civil resistance.

The prerequisite to civil resistance is releasing a news article to announce the event, time, and place BEFORE it begins.? 30-50 people are preferable.? The press and police should be there, but if they refuse to show, then we'll continue the resistance until they do.? If we choose a very public place, we'll be more likely to have press.? We should also do a short speech at the beginning.

We need to be clear that we are violating New Hampshire licensing laws.? Perhaps signs would be best to clearly state:

NOT Licensed
in the State
of New Hampshire

Illegal Unlicensed
Manicures:  $1

Or pedicures, massages, facials, haircuts, etc.? It looks like I'll be the only one doing this, so I'll have to learn how to do one of these things before the event.

Michael Fisher

Things to do:

• Create a short press release and send it out a few days in advance.

• Write a friendly letter announcing the event to the police and everyone at the NH Board of Cosmetology.

• Prepare to take the proper health safety precautions.? This is their excuse for creating these stupid laws in the first place.

LiveFreeOrDie

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on April 16, 2005, 10:00 AM NHFT
It looks like I'll be the only one doing this, so I'll have to learn how to do one of these things before the event.

LOL, got a FlowBee?  Inject some humor into it.  ;D

http://www.flowbee.com/

Russell Kanning

I like your manicure idea.....since you wife does those sorts of things. This entire area of licensing is insane.

I would be happy to help.

Is she still being hassled by the STATE in this area?

FTL_Ian

Perhaps you guys should print up some fliers explaining that licensing is nothing more than a mafia-like protection racket.

tracysaboe

Actually, it's more remniscient of the old Europian Guilde system, that Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations" did so much work to over-turn and abolish.

Tracy

KBCraig

Quote from: tracysaboe on April 17, 2005, 01:02 AM NHFT
Actually, it's more remniscient of the old Europian Guilde system, that Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations" did so much work to over-turn and abolish.

The Guild system, as it started, was a wonderful system. The guilds had a training program, and could guarantee the best possible workmen. They had contracts of exclusivity, whereby the employer paid the highest wages and would only hire guild members; in return, the guild promised members would show up on time, do excellent work, and demand nothing more than their wages.

By the time of Adam Smith, the guild system had deteriorated for four centuries, into something almost like our current union system.

As a union official, I often beat my head against the wall, trying to remind others that we owe it to ourselves to not get in the way if management wants to fire a butthead.

Kevin