• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ways and Means Raises Fines

Started by GT, April 14, 2005, 03:13 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

GT

Gardner Goldsmith's show today is discussing the fines that were recently raised by the Ways and Means Committee on Tuesday.

The House Ways and Means Committee voted Tuesday to raise fines for various traffic offenses to raise money.
The committee delayed until Wednesday afternoon a vote on a proposed 28-cent increase in the cigarette tax to pay for school aid.
Gov. John Lynch and House Speaker Douglas Scamman support the cigarette tax increase. Senate President Tom Eaton opposes it.
The fine increases would raise about $10 million, said Rep. Robert Wheeler, R-Goffstown.
Several committee members said some of the increases were too steep.

"We don't want to infringe on anybody's favorite fine," responded Wheeler. "We need a balanced budget. We humbly ask for your assistance."

After grumbling about the lack of a public hearing on the fine increases, the committee agreed to support them as part of the budget coming before the House next week for a vote.

Examples of proposed increases, including a 20 percent penalty surcharge, are:
- $50 for violating the child seatbelt law - a $20 increase. The fine would double for a second offense.
- $50 instead of $43.20 for driving up to 10 mph over a posted speed limit of 55 mph or under. Driving 21 to 25 mph above the limit would cost $200 instead of $86.40.
- $65 instead of $43.20 for driving up to 5 mph above the limit in a 65-mph zone. Driving 21 to 25 mph above the limit would cost $300 instead of $216.
- $100 instead of $72 for running a stop sign.
- $60 instead of $43.20 for driving an uninspected vehicle.
- $100 instead of $72 for driving an unregistered vehicle.
- $100 instead of $72 for crossing a yellow line.

Pat K

How about a 500 dollar fine for any jackass in the legislature who cause the people of NH unneeded costs.

KBCraig

Try out this system: in Texas, a law quietly passed in 2003 that allows the Department of Public Safety to bill drivers for a "surcharge" on their driver's license fee. Get three speeding tickets for more than 10% above the posted limit, and you will get a bill for $100 from the nice folks at DPS, with a letter explaining that you must pay within 30 days or your license will be revoked.

This is in addition to, and totally separate from, the speeding fine itself.

More serious infractions, such as DUI, pay a huge fine, along with license suspension and jail time, then get a bill for $1,000. And the next year, they get another bill for $1,000. And then again the next year, for a total of $3,000, on top of the fine, jail, and increase in insurance rates.

DPS information page:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_information/pr081903c.htm

Text of the law:
http://cleanrecord.tripod.com/id2.html

Note: all traffic offenses in Texas are misdemeanors, just in case you're curious.

Yes, increasing the fines in NH is bad. But there are places where it's a whole lot worse, which is one of the reasons we're moving!

Kevin

Dave Ridley

Wow great report Glenn

I live in eaton's district; I should do something to show my support for his opposition to the cig tax.  He's not great but by Keene standards he's great.

GT

Thanks, but I was just forwarding email I got. I would recommend contacting and thanking any Rep that is on our side. I've been told that Reps get surprisingly little corespondence and calls and letters make a big difference. I would guess that the number of positive letters is even lower. People need to hear from us when they are doing good.