• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Introduction and Quest for Ideas

Started by cxxguy, April 29, 2007, 12:45 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

cxxguy

My name is Rich Paul, I'm usually a computer programmer, but after working 5 years at 100 hours a week, I was terribly burned out, and so I have been taking some time off and going to school.  (Not for a degree, just to learn things.  I read the Wealth of Nations, and just had to take some economics classes).  I'm just about out of money, so the time has come to start looking for work, and it would be a prefect if I could find something in New Hampshire.  I'm suffering, however, from a logistical problem.  I don't feel comfortable moving to New Hampshire without having work land housing lined up there, since I am low on cash, but if I get something going here it will be that much more difficult to leave.  I suspect that there are a fair number of people in similar situations.  So I started thinking about economic solutions to the problem.  What would fit the bill would be a business which would allow me to assist others in their journey to the Free State.  Something that would allow me to be able to say "It's not much, but if you come out here, I can guarantee you a low paying job and a (perhaps shabby) roof over your worldly goods until you manage to get on your feet.  It would have to be a labor intensive industry, so that there would be lots of jobs to be had, and it would have to be one with low startup costs.  A big plus would be one where high turnover of employees would not be a problem (I don't think must of us are going to NH to live at a subsistence level), and one where there were few skills required.  If it took place on a lot of land, that would be a plus as well.  I would think farming, except as I understand the economics of farming, the oversupply of farmers are such that it cannot be done without taking welfare, which I won't do.

The closest I've come is offering security services, and without a background in law enforcement, I'm not sure if that's viable.

So does anybody have an idea of something which might fit the bill?

Kat Kanning

Not sure I have any ideas for you, but welcome!

b1ueemu

As much as we all loathe the idea, a call center matches up to your requirements pretty closely. You could get one going with under $5k for 10-20 seats, and the work does not require any major skills. I've thought about this a bit, and finding a product in the $50-100 range which would be appealing to people over 50 that currently runs infomercials would be a good start. Many call centers get terrible leads from internet forms (like the free ipod and xbox offers), but the sales ratios are terrible. Doing salvage calls for an infomercial is easier because the leads are people who have called in, but decided against ordering, usually due to the price. The company you're selling for will drop the price significantly, and the sales ratios are accordingly much higher.

If this does interest you, let me know, I can help you set it up!

James

PowerPenguin

My offerings are also marketing related, but they revolve around some cool personal security/privacy services. See the various products and the affiliate page at http://www.mpassetprotection.com/ (referrer name: andrew). I've begun to make some good money with it myself, and things should get even better in a few weeks when I'll be able to work on such things full time. My other careers consist of IT related freelance and publicizing the hidden wonders of unique privacy solutions. I may not be as underground as I could be, perhaps, but I'll be revamping my "ID footprint", as it were, from the ground up when I move to NH. Try to find me now, deranged political enemies!*

*I actually have had some serious threats from time to time. Luckily, they can't find out where I live, or my real name, which are the core tenets of privacy!

Rich, I admire your dedication to moving ASAP and helping others get there faster as well. This is what I've been trying to do with my business for several months now, and the fruits are beginning to ripen. Its all about work freedom. This topic goes unnoticed most of the time, but I believe it is critical. True economic freedom means, in part, working for yourself, or at least working a little bit at multiple, flexible jobs where you can leverage your bargaining power. Does this sound about right to you?

cxxguy

Sure does.  I've always had an entrepreneurial mind set, first sold drugs (20 years ago, statute of limitations long gone, and don't get high anymore), then did carpentry/handyman/painting business (license? we don't need to steenking license), and had a computer consulting company and am part owner of a still existing by the skin of it's teeth software company in Florida (who knows, maybe one day I'll get the $250,000 in back pay they owe me).  It has been said that I've been a buttlegger in Michigan (which has the third highest cigarette taxes in the nation), but it couldn't have been me, because I was somewhere else and besides, the statute hasn't run out.

Oh, and this is a little embarrassing, but I also sold Amway for a week and a half, until I realized that they were selling kits, not product, and it was a bit Ponziesque.

Results have been mixed, but all in all, I'm glad to have done done a lot of things, and to know that I can make a job if I put my mind to it (or get fine suggestions in chat rooms).  What I have yet to do is to build anything to the point where I can get residual income from it.  I've never gotten around to hiring the plague of lawyers and accountants that are required to do anything legal (except the last company, where I am proud to say I was not the CEO or President) and you just can't hire a professional manager for a business in the underground economy.  One day, I will, though.  I'm not proud ... or tired.

I am interested in both of these ideas, somewhat hesitantly, because I'm not much of a salesmen.  But I'll look at the references provided and post more later.

error

I busted my ass for two and a half years, ate half a ton of ramen noodles, and now most of my income is residual income. It's nice.

d_goddard

If you want more IT/programming stuff, check Nashua.
Specifically, BAE Systems and Oracle.

Russell Kanning

Who says we all hate call centers? Depending on what you are doing that can be a great idea. :)

You could also be a computer programmer again and build up money and move to NH in style. :)

I have wanted to start a business alond the lines of 1800SanDiego except with all the operators at home and no 800#. :) Something like "Shire Info". A way to help cellphone users have access to to info like the internet.

b1ueemu

Quote from: Russell Kanning on May 12, 2007, 07:33 AM NHFT
Who says we all hate call centers? Depending on what you are doing that can be a great idea. :)

You could also be a computer programmer again and build up money and move to NH in style. :)

I have wanted to start a business alond the lines of 1800SanDiego except with all the operators at home and no 800#. :) Something like "Shire Info". A way to help cellphone users have access to to info like the internet.

I was just thinking about this after the 3rd Debate Rally, while looking for a restaurant in Manchester (and directions). Startup costs are very minimal. Anyone else seriously interested in this idea?

alohamonkey

Quote from: error on May 10, 2007, 10:19 PM NHFT
I busted my ass for two and a half years, ate half a ton of ramen noodles, and now most of my income is residual income. It's nice.

How'd you do it?  I've been looking at starting a few affiliate websites.  Still need to read more about it though. 

error

Mainly it's the busting your ass part.

I'm not so much of a fan of affiliate marketing. It's hard to add any real value to the buying process this way.