• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Dunkin' Donuts Boycott

Started by FTL_Ian, August 01, 2007, 01:04 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

I have no problem with a way a private business decides on what jewelry someone can wear on their face.

mackler

Quote from: Dreepa on August 09, 2007, 10:24 PM NHFT
I have no problem with a way a private business decides on what jewelry someone can wear on their face.

Seriously.  Guys look retarded with lip piercings.

On chicks, on the other hand, they're hot.

Rochelle

Ugh. DD is just trying to capitalize on the anti-immigration stance so many Americans have: "you can buy our donuts, they're not made by illegals...unlike the OTHER guys."

But the way employers are forcing their way into our lives is really really pissing me off. We just got some hand outs to hand out (yep, indeed) with people's paychecks this week letting them know that corporate will be increasing insurance premiums for people who smoke unless they participate in a corporate sponsored stop smoking program and if you lie and say you don't smoke when you do, there could be severe consequences including voiding your insurance premium (understandable) up to termination.
It's ridiculous. When I was stapling these to the checks, I pointed out how it's ironic that discrimination is an absolutely horrible thing...unless of course your discriminating against those that society thinks it's A-OK to discriminate against.
So once it was okay to discriminate against women and minorities, now it's okay to discriminate against smokers...and now fat people are getting it to.
I've nothing against the insurance premium being higher for smokers, that's logical. But for it to be company policy ??? Give me a break!

They're as bad as the government.
I've lost all my respect for "private companies" since I've started working for one and realized how their relationship with the government is very much a "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" kind of deal. No morals, no principals...they just want to consolidate power and wealth to themselves.

KBCraig

Quote from: Rochelle on August 09, 2007, 11:03 PM NHFT
I've lost all my respect for "private companies" since I've started working for one and realized how their relationship with the government is very much a "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" kind of deal. No morals, no principals...they just want to consolidate power and wealth to themselves.

To borrow a Biblical line from another thread, the scales have fallen from your eyes.  ;D

Welcome to the understanding of the difference between free market capitalism, and collusion/corporatism.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: mackler on August 09, 2007, 10:34 PM NHFT

Oh!  So Hot! :P

Rochelle

To borrow a Biblical line from another thread, the scales have fallen from your eyes.
Yea, I guess you could say that  :D

Raineyrocks

Ugh. DD is just trying to capitalize on the anti-immigration stance so many Americans have: "you can buy our donuts, they're not made by illegals...unlike the OTHER guys."

But the way employers are forcing their way into our lives is really really pissing me off. We just got some hand outs to hand out (yep, indeed) with people's paychecks this week letting them know that corporate will be increasing insurance premiums for people who smoke unless they participate in a corporate sponsored stop smoking program and if you lie and say you don't smoke when you do, there could be severe consequences including voiding your insurance premium (understandable) up to termination.
It's ridiculous. When I was stapling these to the checks, I pointed out how it's ironic that discrimination is an absolutely horrible thing...unless of course your discriminating against those that society thinks it's A-OK to discriminate against.
So once it was okay to discriminate against women and minorities, now it's okay to discriminate against smokers...and now fat people are getting it to.
I've nothing against the insurance premium being higher for smokers, that's logical. But for it to be company policy ??? Give me a break!

I hear you Rochelle, I feel the same way. >:(  I thought about this issue a lot even before my son's experience.  On one hand people that take these jobs do agree to these ridiculous privacy violations on the other hand people need a job so I don't really have an answer.  I have some ideas but if I had to feed my family and that's the only kind of job that would hire me I'm kind of in a spot.  I still think it would take a massive uprising of tons of people to stand up and say we're not going to put up with this shit anymore. :dontknow:

Raineyrocks

Quote from: d_goddard on August 09, 2007, 12:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on August 09, 2007, 12:09 PM NHFT
told everyone there that everyone's being treated like a guneau,(sp?), pigs and people need to stand up for their rights.  He went on about the government etc
None of which was relevant to the situation he was in.
He was voluntarily working for a private business.
He voluntarily left, presumably before being fired.

Sounds like the manager is a dick (no news there).
Sounds like the teen needs to read a little more (no news there, either). I suggest Atlas Shrugged

He got re-hired anyway so he's back working there.  I agree with you about the voluntarily part, to each their own, he removed the ugly piercing too. :dontknow:

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on August 10, 2007, 07:08 AM NHFT
Quote from: mackler on August 09, 2007, 10:34 PM NHFT

Oh!  So Hot! :P

I'm still undecided on piercings. On the one hand, they detract from the natural beauty that is the female form. On the other hand, they are preparing the populace for acceptance of cyborg implantations.

Every time I see a nose piercing the first thing I think of is an artificial booger.  :o

J’raxis 270145

Look around a bit and you'll see plenty of this. Insurance is one way that is used to control people and engineer their behavior where the government can't do it directly through legislation. This is especially true on the job: Much of any given employers' policies—everything from not letting customers use "employee" bathrooms, to the paranoia about sexual harassment in white-collar jobs—are not their own doing, but the result of their liability insurance carrier demanding they implement such policies or face higher insurance rates.

When we start seeing "universal" health insurance implemented state by state, or nationally, you'll see a lot more of this. Can't control people by outlawing smoking, fast food, unhealthy lifestyles? Well, just make them pay 300% more on insurance and it'll have the same effect. Or, a universal health care system will be used as an excuse to finally be able to legislate such—the rationale will be that if taxes are covering these unhealthy people's lifestyles, certainly the government ought to be able to head off their costing taxpayers thousands more than healthy people, right?

NC2NH

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on August 10, 2007, 12:46 PM NHFT
the rationale will be that if taxes are covering these unhealthy people's lifestyles, certainly the government ought to be able to head off their costing taxpayers thousands more than healthy people, right?

Yep, this rationale was used in support of the primary enforcement seatbelt bill. I'm sure it has been used in many other circumstances, and universal hellcare will only make it more prevalent.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Henry

Quote from: FTL_Ian on August 01, 2007, 01:04 PM NHFT
From http://www.retailwire.com/Discussions/Sngl_Discussion.cfm/11443 :
Quote5/30/06
Dunkin' Donuts Checks for Illegal Aliens...
The company's franchisees have recently begun posting signs in shop windows that read: "We follow the law! This company hires lawful workers only."

Dunkin' Donuts is one of the thousands of American companies that is voluntarily checking its employment applicants against a federal database.  Soon this federal employee citizenship verification program may become mandatory for all American companies.  This means that the federal government will be able to say whether or not you can work!  If you thought the no-fly list was bad, just wait till this becomes mandatory.

Dunkin' Donuts is helping usher in the police state.  Please oppose these pandering nationalists and buy your donuts and coffee somewhere else.  Better yet, let them know how you feel:
https://dunkindonuts.com/aboutus/contact/Feedback.aspx?type=5

Here you can read where NH will next year be voluntarily checking every driver's license application and renewal against 6 or so federal databases.

see chart on page 134 of this pdf file (page 127 of the file itself)
http://www.admin.state.nh.us/purchasing/rfp_oit_2008_024.pdf

AAMVA
PDPS
SAVE
SSOLV
EVVE
NCIC