• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

How effective is FTL Advertising?

Started by PowerPenguin, May 04, 2007, 10:47 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerPenguin

Hey all,

I'm looking into doing some FTL radio advertising, and I'm wondering if it is worth it. I've done a banner ad before, which had debatable efficacy. How well did it work for NHFree and/or the FSP?

Thanks.

error

You should talk to Mark if you want the sales pitch. :)

I will say, though, that when Mark says repetition is key, it's absolutely true. The more insertions you have, the more people hear your message, and the more likely they are to respond to it.

KBCraig

Quote from: error on May 04, 2007, 11:30 PM NHFT
I will say, though, that when Mark says repetition is key, it's absolutely true. The more insertions you have, the more people hear your message, and the more likely they are to respond to it.

That's true right up until the point of saturation. It's a fine line between "enough that no one can forget your name", and "so sick of your ads they'll never spend a dime with you".

On the other hand, people tend to underestimate "enough" when it comes to radio ads. I'm currently debating a radio proposal with Mary for her business. She thinks it's a great deal, at $200 per 8 30-sec fully-produced insertions, plus 8 live reads, per month. I point out that $12.50 per doesn't exactly suck, but 16 ads per month in local radio is nothing. Even in the prime morning slot, that's less than one ad per weekday morning show. It barely gets the name heard, much less drilled in. The only thing it has going is that this is a non-contract proposal. We could do it once and then forget it, but I consider it a waste of money. Either go all in, or don't play.

Kevin

Dreepa

I think one important thing is try and track it....offer a FTL discount with the code FTL5 (or something like that).
That way when people buy whatever it is you are selling you can track it back to the radio ad.

PowerPenguin

Good idea there, Dreepa. I've e-mailed a couple of current advertisers about this to get their feedback as well. I asked for market demographics, but Mark said that it costs 10k/yr from the analysts and FTL doesn't do that. Anyone know any radio buddies who might be willing to help out? I'm a college student with little money to spend on these kinds of things, at least up front.

Also, how has the Adwords thing been going for those who use it? I tried to set up an account today but the confirmation e-mail won't get to my box. I've been having some connectivity issues w/ it over the last few days, so that might be why. My blog, The Liberty Lamp is supposed to run Adsense ads, but it doesn't do that either >:(

error

I wouldn't buy the stupid Arbitron book at those prices either.

FTL_Ian

Depends on the product.  We work great for the Free State Project, not so much with woodcraftplans.com.

Repetition and frequency are key, and you can never have enough radio advertising.  If you are concerned about burn, make new commercials and rotate multiple different ones.

We can get you 20+ stations for the same price as one local station.   8)

d_goddard

Quote from: FTL_Ian on May 06, 2007, 03:36 PM NHFT
Depends on the product.  We work great for the Free State Project, not so much with woodcraftplans.com
You say that, but I bought some plans from woodcraftplans.com because they advertise on FTL :)

burnthebeautiful

Whatever you do, just don't make your ad be one of those fake conversations. I hate those ads.

PowerPenguin

No, it will be a short one with Mark narrating. I don't have any original material of my own, so that's where he comes in ;)

lordmetroid

Free Talk Live a radio show where Ian and Mark is the regular hosts at this time and can be found at freetalklive.com great show, listens to it everyday.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: KBCraig on May 05, 2007, 12:18 AM NHFT
That's true right up until the point of saturation. It's a fine line between "enough that no one can forget your name", and "so sick of your ads they'll never spend a dime with you".
Try to tell that to Coca-cola. :)
Also Warren Buffett used to hate to spend money on advertising .... then they got more and more business at Geico because of tons of advertising .... then he thought that they had done enough .... but they did even more ads and the sales just keep going up. So ... ?

Seems like on a radio show like FTLive if you change the ad every once in a while people will not get too bored. It also helps if the hosts are using/talking about your service also. We get people interested in NHfree.com and other activities in The Shire from their show. I don't know how well the banner ads work .... they just keep showing up on this site, moving to The Shire, and send me mail in jail. 8)

PinoX7

oh Thats a great idea, I was already thinking of suggesting that you guys make your own radio show. But apparently you already have it in the works :)