• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Wanted: Standby Generator Installation - May 2007

Started by mvpel, May 07, 2007, 01:04 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mvpel

Hi folks,

The last couple of power outages persuaded me that it was time to invest in a standby generator.  I'm looking at the Guardian models from Home Depot, since they have decent financing arrangements.

Is there someone out there who could handle the installation?  The contractor from Home Depot's referral seemed rather high, so I'm looking for a few alternatives.

I'm also considering replacing my main panel, a project I've done before, so the wiring could be done as part of that project, rather than during the actual install of the generator.

Let me know, e-mail to mvpel@hushmail.com.

-Michael Pelletier.

CNHT

I'm in a different position -- I have had the installation but cannot find the directions on how to run the darn thing now that it's wired right into my board.

penguins4me

Quote from: CNHT on May 07, 2007, 01:40 PM NHFTI'm in a different position -- I have had the installation but cannot find the directions on how to run the darn thing now that it's wired right into my board.

Hm. Well, have you tried pressing the big red button?

:D

CNHT

Quote from: penguins4me on May 07, 2007, 03:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on May 07, 2007, 01:40 PM NHFTI'm in a different position -- I have had the installation but cannot find the directions on how to run the darn thing now that it's wired right into my board.

Hm. Well, have you tried pressing the big red button?

:D

LOL I have the brains not to press that button since I don't know what I'm supposed to have turned off first so as not to blow out my whole system...but since we are almost finished cleaning up the garage, I hope to come across the laminated directions that DH left for me before he passed...

mvpel

Hey Jane, maybe I'll stop by sometime and see if I can help you figure it out.  It probably needs an oil change and a bit of overhaul too.  What make and model is it?

powerchuter

Ron Helwig has a sweet set-up at his place!  We were talking about it at dinner Sunday afternoon.  I'm willing to help for food and beer as my schedule permits...

I have plenty of tools if you need anything...

MaineShark

Ron Helwig

Quote from: powerchuter on May 07, 2007, 04:14 PM NHFT
Ron Helwig has a sweet set-up at his place!  We were talking about it at dinner Sunday afternoon.

Yes, this sort of setup is highly recommended! Mine will switch on automatically (after about a minute without power) and powers the "core" of the house. Well, heating, air conditioning, some lights, microwave, refrigerator, and freezer are all on generator backed up circuits.

Because the generator waits for around a minute before kicking on, I suggest battery backups for important things to prevent even temporary power losses.

Mine is a Guardian Plus, 15KW, running on the big propane tank. Jack Shimek helped with the setup, but the builder's electrician hooked up the panels, and the propane company got involved in the propane line hookup (it requires more pressure than the rest of the house, necessitating a separate line and regulator).

My generator was running for over 20 hours during that last big flood.

mvpel

think I've got the plan figured out.  I had Energy North out and they gave me a quote for replacing the main high-pressure line and plumbing the generator pad.  I'm relieved I talked to them, since apparently the main line is not big enough to support the generator plus the other loads, and I probably would have wound up with major problems if the Home Depot installers had simply tapped in to the existing pipe system.

The Energy North rep also gave me a set of positioning parameters - 10' from the tank, 5' from the regulator, etc - plus a bit of sage advice about the dangers of ice falling three stories off the back eaves of the house and hitting the unit,  so based on some measuring and spray-painting on the lawn, it looks like what I'm going to be doing is building a berm for the generator at the north gable end of the house, using some of those interlocking Anchor Wall Systems retaining wall blocks, and backfilling it with gravel to form the base for the unit.

I'm going to order the unit at some point after the 17th, since Home Depot has a 12-months no-interest, no-payments deal starting then.  And by ordering online through iGive.com, Gun Owners of New Hampshire gets a 2.6% commission on it.

The electrical stuff looks to be pretty straightforward, though I'm going to have to redesign the main panel closet in the basement, since there's not really enough room for the transfer switch panel to fit in there and maintain the necessary clearances.  I'm very tempted to swap out the main panel while I'm at it, since it's an old ITE unit, and not very well laid out or labeled.  I developed an affinity for Square D QO panels when I rewired my first house that I've not been able to shake off.