• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Squirrel needs extermination...

Started by MaineShark, May 11, 2007, 10:36 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineShark

There's a red squirrel hanging around my house.  I don't mind that, overly much.  However, it's decided to take up residence in my walls, and I do mind that.

Anyone with a pellet gun want to take care of the critter?  It usually hangs out around the trees in front of the house during the day.

Joe

KBCraig

I was going to recommend a purchase from South Summit, but it looks like they're out of stock.

Google the "fast deer" chinese air rifle, aka Norinco "KL-3B", then order a couple in .177 caliber.

It's a sidecocker, and amazingly accurate for the price.

Kevin

EJinCT

Trapping and releasing elsewhere would also solve the problem.

mvpel

I guess I'm lucky my wall-scrabbling noises were only mice...  The snake that moved in took care of that problem.

powerchuter

There are probably problems with both approaches being discussed here.  Not that I am personally opposed to either one, but it merits a brief mention.

In some places it's against the "law" to shoot animals without some sort of "permission".  I don't know the particulars but the neighbors might not understand that you're exterminating...versus terminating(not that there is much difference from the squirrel's point of view).

Also...

In some places it's against the "law" to "possess" wild animals(actually...try not getting a dog license in most areas and see what happens).  Personally I would think it would be obvious to any person that you were "relocating" the squirrel...but then I'm not johnny jack-boot...

Hey, just my nickel's worth...

Vote Tyler Stearns

My husband and son are expert squirrel eradicators.  Where do you live? 

"Our" squirrels ate all of our bird feeders (and I mean plastic squirrel-proof feeders), then moved on to our flags, then started leaping at our screened windows and trying to get in.  They were possessed!  One winter my husband shot almost 30 of them.  In addition to reducing the local squirrel population, we no longer put up bird feeders.  Squirrels aren't a problem anymore. >:D

MaineShark

Quote from: malevil on May 12, 2007, 07:58 AM NHFTMy husband and son are expert squirrel eradicators.  Where do you live?

Northwood.

Joe

Vote Tyler Stearns

Hmmm...not really close by.  We're north of Plymouth.  Will talk to hubby and advise.

Quantrill

Surely you can shoot animals on your own land?  Even in MO we didn't need permits for things like that...

Vote Tyler Stearns

Maybe he just wants a squirrel marksman.  Squirrels tremble when they see my husband coming.

MaineShark

Quote from: malevil on May 12, 2007, 10:16 AM NHFTMaybe he just wants a squirrel marksman.  Squirrels tremble when they see my husband coming.

I need someone with a pellet gun.  I don't have one, and the population is too dense around here for firearms.

Joe

Vote Tyler Stearns

Oh yeah, we have pellet guns.  High powered.

KBCraig

MaineShark

Quote from: wholetthedogin? on May 12, 2007, 03:54 PM NHFTWhat trees are close to the house?  Red squirrels are notorious for nesting inside old houses.  Couple of owls outside and Decon  pellets inside should help.  Where are they getting in?  Do you have barn or ell that they come in thru?

Maples.

It's an old (1850's) farm house.  There are many places they could get in, including the attached barn/garage.

Hence, I want the critter dead.

Joe

Recumbent ReCycler

I have a few pellet rifles that should work.  Another option might be to use a .22 rifle and load it with Aguila Collibri ammo, which is very quiet.  Out of a 16" barrel, it is quieter than most air guns.  It's quiet enough that you could safely shoot it from a pistol without needing hearing protection.  From a 1.5" barrel, it is a little louder than a pellet rifle.  It should be enough to take care of that squirrel.  Oh yeah, in NH, it is legal to hunt on your own property without a license, but you have to have permission from anyone who has a building within a certain distance of where you are shooting.  I think it is 50 yards, but I could be wrong about that.