• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Guns, and local buisiness owners

Started by PinoX7, May 14, 2007, 10:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

David

A list of gun friendly businesses sounds like a good idea.
Private property should be respected.  I realize that you have the right to defend yourself, but you are not forced onto someones private property.  You can leave that persons private property and still enjoy your right to defend yourself.  Your rights are limited Only by the rights of other people.  Respect others rights, and hopefully in the long run, your rights will be respected.   :)

MaineShark

Quote from: David on May 17, 2007, 12:24 AM NHFTA list of gun friendly businesses sounds like a good idea.
Private property should be respected.  I realize that you have the right to defend yourself, but you are not forced onto someones private property.  You can leave that persons private property and still enjoy your right to defend yourself.  Your rights are limited Only by the rights of other people.  Respect others rights, and hopefully in the long run, your rights will be respected.   :)

I don't have to "respect" their rights.  I have to refrain from initiating force against them.  But no one who opposes me being armed will ever get my respect.

A list of anti-gun businesses to avoid would be great, as would a list of pro-gun businesses to specifically patronize.

Joe

jshmukatelli

Letting everyone see you're carrying violates the whole purpose of concealed carry (unless you're doing the whole "making a statement" thing, which I still don't think is a stellar idea when you're just shopping).

When the sociopath goes crazy in the restaurant and starts executing people, you'll be the first to go if you're sloppy (or just open) about packing.  If you've been sloppy (or open) before, maybe others in the store will know or suspect you're armed and yell out a helpful "You've got a gun!  Do something!"  Then you're next on the menu.  Of course, hopefully by this time you've put steel on target anyway.

My personal policy is to look like just another sheeple, until it's time to "break glass in case of emergency" at which point surprise and half a mag of center mass shots ends the drama.

Also, I would urge caution when interacting with the local constabulary when they inquire about your gun in WalMart...these days I bet they're more uptight than usual about guns (two NH cops downed within the past half year or so) so they probably wouldn't hesitate to [pick one: taze, pepper spray, club, shoot] you.  Or maybe you'll just end up with a hobnail boot on your adams apple.  Easier, and safer, just to smile knowingly at the clerk and go on about your business (of buying up discounted ammo, hopefully).

Rock on.

41mag

I carry openly.  I have the right to carry openly.  The state has made concealed carry into a privlege.  I'd like to keep the rights that I have, and in order to do that, you need to be willing to exercize those rights. 

One of the first things I would suggest to anyone (regardless if your carrying or not) is to be aware of your surroundings.  This may take a bit of effort when you first start, but eventually it will just become a habit that is done unconsciously.  I've been surprised by the number of people around me who don't even notice that I'm armed (and that .41 mag isn't exactly a small revolver).

Another point that someone (I think it was either David or Puke) made was that if the only experience that people have with gun owners is what makes the news, they will be left with a bad impression of gun owners and guns in general.  On the other had, if they were to see normal people carrying who were polite and helpful, this would help to change some people's perception.

KBCraig

Quote from: 41mag on May 19, 2007, 12:13 AM NHFT
Another point that someone (I think it was either David or Puke) made was that if the only experience that people have with gun owners is what makes the news, they will be left with a bad impression of gun owners and guns in general.

"Marginalization" is the term, and I've argued that it applies equally well to firearms, and to bans on alcohol and other drugs.

"When x is outlawed, only outlaws will have x... " And since being an outlaw is "bad", x must also be bad.

error

powerchuter

Quote from: error on May 19, 2007, 02:13 AM NHFT
When freedom is outlawed...

Only Outlaws will be free...

To learn more about the "Outlaw" way of life check out Outlaws Legal Service.  You can find their website and a wealth of information at (http://www.outlawslegal.com/).

Raineyrocks

Awesome website link, thanks Powerchuter!  I've added it to my bookmarks and will read more later, thanks agains! :)

MaineShark

Quote from: jshmukatelli on May 18, 2007, 05:35 PM NHFTAlso, I would urge caution when interacting with the local constabulary when they inquire about your gun in WalMart...these days I bet they're more uptight than usual about guns (two NH cops downed within the past half year or so) so they probably wouldn't hesitate to [pick one: taze, pepper spray, club, shoot] you.  Or maybe you'll just end up with a hobnail boot on your adams apple.  Easier, and safer, just to smile knowingly at the clerk and go on about your business (of buying up discounted ammo, hopefully).

I see people open carrying on a semi-regular basis around here.  I was in Murphy's the other day when one of our folks walked in armed.  He had been walking down the street for blocks, as a result of the parking situation, and actually talked to a cop on the way.  Sure, some might be nuts, but most realize what a world of trouble they would get in for attacking a gun owner, at least in a public place.  Just ask Penny Dean what happens when a cop harasses someone on the street over guns (anyone have a link to the video?)...

Joe

jshmukatelli

I carry openly.  I have the right to carry openly.  The state has made concealed carry into a privlege.  I'd like to keep the rights that I have, and in order to do that, you need to be willing to exercize those rights. 

Didn't mean to irritate everyone, I was just looking at it from a purely practical aspect, having spent some time in sh*tholes where inconspicuousness was an asset.

41mag

Quote from: jshmukatelli on May 19, 2007, 07:58 PM NHFT

Didn't mean to irritate everyone, I was just looking at it from a purely practical aspect, having spent some time in sh*tholes where inconspicuousness was an asset.

Understood.  The rest of my family is in the Detroit area.  There I'll carry (concealed of course) a backup to my backup.    :icon_pirat:

David

:o :o
I probably don't have to warn you not to get caught.   :o :o

41mag

Quote from: David on May 21, 2007, 07:53 AM NHFT
:o :o
I probably don't have to warn you not to get caught.   :o :o
Actually Michigan does allow for reciprocity.  Trying to explain that to the cop might be difficult though.  :violent5:

aworldnervelink

Quote from: raineyrocks on May 16, 2007, 03:36 PM NHFT
The gun shop owner where I got my 38 special , (is there supposed to be a period mark before the 38?)

Yes, it specifies the caliber of the barrel as a fraction of an inch. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliber

I hope this information is not bore-ing.

powerchuter

Quote from: aworldnervelink on May 22, 2007, 02:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on May 16, 2007, 03:36 PM NHFT
The gun shop owner where I got my 38 special , (is there supposed to be a period mark before the 38?)

Yes, it specifies the caliber of the barrel as a fraction of an inch. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliber

I hope this information is not bore-ing.

Did you get the part for your shotgun yet!?!