• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Home networking help

Started by MaineShark, May 16, 2007, 09:21 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineShark

I need to run a few Cat6 lines in my house.  Running wire is not big deal, but I don't have a crimper.  I'd like to find someone who:

A) Has a crimper.
B) Has the knowledge to select the correct/quality materials.
C) Maybe has a source with decent prices for the materials.

We can arrange payment options in FRN, metals, trade goods, or in labor for work that you need done.

Joe

Dan

They aren't too expensive if you cat a cat5e rated crimper.

If you got the cash, get a palladin, otherwise get a plastic one from Home Depot.

What distances are you running these cables?  Have you not considered wireless everything?

penguins4me

A wireless network carries with it a whole mess of undesirable issues, such as lower throughput, higher susceptibility to RF interference, a whole slew of potential vulnerabilities (disruption, infiltration, etc.).

There's just one thing wireless has going for it: convenience. If someone is willing to put forth the effort to properly wire a location with cat5e/6, all the above problems are pretty much a non-issue.

cyberdoo78

Please give me the exact details of the project so I can give you an accurate quote. What is your plan to 'run' the lines. Do you want something as simple as some over head hooks, or something more along the lines of some nice molding? Do you want to go through walls? Anything requiring light to heavy tools?

The earliest I can start the project is Jan 15th, 2008. I won't be in N.H. till then. This maybe a worthless offer to you because of your need, but if you have the time. Thought I'd start lining up some work for when I get there.

MaineShark

Quote from: Dan on May 16, 2007, 09:41 AM NHFTThey aren't too expensive if you cat a cat5e rated crimper.

If you got the cash, get a palladin, otherwise get a plastic one from Home Depot.

What distances are you running these cables?  Have you not considered wireless everything?

I'd rather find someone who already has the tools, versus buying something to use once.

I think the longest run will be 75 feet, maybe as much as 100.

We don't want wireless because we have tin ceilings, and we want better security and bandwidth than wireless could offer, even under ideal conditions.  We may add a wireless connection for a laptop or two, but the main network will be wired.

Joe

MaineShark

Quote from: cyberdoo78 on May 16, 2007, 10:10 AM NHFTPlease give me the exact details of the project so I can give you an accurate quote. What is your plan to 'run' the lines. Do you want something as simple as some over head hooks, or something more along the lines of some nice molding? Do you want to go through walls? Anything requiring light to heavy tools?

The earliest I can start the project is Jan 15th, 2008. I won't be in N.H. till then. This maybe a worthless offer to you because of your need, but if you have the time. Thought I'd start lining up some work for when I get there.

We're looking to get this done within a month, if possible.  Moving the cable modem from room to room and only being able to be online with one computer at a time is starting to become a major problem with two people trying to run businesses.

Joe

cyberdoo78

Okay, well I'll quote you for the job then, just in case.

For 100 ft of Cat6 to cut and crimp. I'd do for $30ALD/USD or 3 labor hours, your choice. I am open to counter offer. I will also include laying the cable, providing I don't have to move anything or use and other tools.

If you have any questions, please ask.

I offer for free: Most people's thoughts of security on today's wireless networks are unfounded, they are just as secure as wired networks, perhaps more so because the traffic is also encrypted. I'd also listen to what the others are offering for free, except if you plan to have multiple media network streams running at the same time. Then and only then I wouldn't recommend a wireless network. If you decide to use a wireless network, I'd recommend you read up on the various and different protocols available and match your brands of hardware for a good tight fit. I don't, but thats just me. Thats all I will give for free, but there is more on the topic.

I use a wireless network securely, and it runs WoW really good and I can listen to music quite well. All of my new equipment will come with wireless if its cost effective. I also use wireless internet access as well and its pretty good for the price.

Dan

1.5ozt of ALD.  Not a bad price at all!

error

Wireless using WPA2/AES-CCMP is relatively secure. Just using WEP like most people do is not secure at all.

cyberdoo78

Quote from: error on May 16, 2007, 01:49 PM NHFT
Wireless using WPA2/AES-CCMP is relatively secure. Just using WEP like most people do is not secure at all.

I don't really disagree. I'd like to point out however that WEP is still a valid protocol. Your basic issue with wireless is your protocol, even if you use WEP you are more secure then if you were to say, grab a CB radio and start using it for your business.

This all is based on the assumption that someone wants to take the time to find out about your business. There are some people who do this for fun, but most of them don't use it for gain, just to be able to do it.

I still stand by my claim that a wireless router of today, properly secured, will be as secure if not better then a wired connection. Your connection is only as secure as the parts between the two systems communicating, which is very little.

error

Sure, WEP is more secure than nothing, but it's broken enough that given enough traffic it's quite possible to decrypt. "Enough" ranges from minutes to a few hours of use.

cyberdoo78

Your arguement against WEP is based on the assuption that someone wants to break into your network in the first place. However I will not argue that it isn't unbreakable and that 'in minutes' is not likely. It was the first encryption protocol, much like morse code, as such, trust it as you would. I would not suggest it, since there are other forms of encryption available, but it is an option and is the fastest one.

error

There are too many double, triple and quadruple negatives in that post. I can't determine with what you're agreeing or disagreeing! :)
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070404-new-attack-cracks-wep-in-record-time.html

cyberdoo78

PLAIN AND SIMPLE: Use WEP if you want to secure your network, do not expect it to be more secure then morse code is. Use better encyption!

mvpel

I use WPA-PSK, and don't worry about it.

Joe, I've got a good-quality RJ-45 crimper and a batch of ends, though I'm probably going to use the rest of 'em up and buy another 25-pack here soon, since I realized that I need to move my ethernet switch over to the other corner of the basement in order to get it on generator-backed power without wasting a circuit slot in the transfer switch.  However I think that the Cat-6 RJ-45 plugs are designed slightly differently than Cat-5, you'd want to check that out.

This page shows crimping instructions: http://www.vpi.us/installation/assemble-cat6shld.html - but the illustrations aren't quite right - you'd want to follow the diagram at the lower right, not the photos.  "Orange for the Sun, Green for the Grass, Blue for the Sky, Brown for the Earth."