• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Home networking help

Started by MaineShark, May 16, 2007, 09:21 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

error

Quote from: mvpel on May 16, 2007, 04:15 PM NHFT
I use WPA-PSK, and don't worry about it.

Be careful; if you're using RC4 (you probably are) then you're just as vulnerable to eavesdropping. And you can run a dictionary attack against WPA if you can sniff the handshake. Only WPA2 with AES-CCMP is reasonably secure from both right now. (It'll take some serious fiddling with your router to enable this by default and disable other methods.)

Quote from: mvpel on May 16, 2007, 04:15 PM NHFT
"Orange for the Sun, Green for the Grass, Blue for the Sky, Brown for the Earth."

Thanks. I always wound up keeping a diagram with me.

mvpel

I've got my router set to support either AES or TKIP, I think it negotiates to the best available protocol.

Quantrill

I have no idea what language this thread is in...

:icon_farao:

Dan

I'm broadcasting my libertarian terroristic plans across the airwaves, unsecured.

powerchuter

Hey Joe,
I've got a couple of the crimpers and several hundred feet of C5E and ends...  They are yours to use as necessary...  I can help also as my schedule permits...
Thanks,
Rob

MaineShark

I'm with Quantrill on this one: what language is that?

Like I said, I want a wired network.  Other factors being equal, anything broadcast is not as secure as something hardwired.  Heck, I've seen reports on reconstructing displayed images from a CRT, based on the RF emissions from the tube.

I'd still like to secure the copper network.  And, as I said, I'll probably have a wireless connection as well, since we have laptops, and I'll want to secure that as best as possible.

If anyone can explain how to do those things (in English) I would appreciate it.

Quote from: powerchuter on May 16, 2007, 08:11 PM NHFTI've got a couple of the crimpers and several hundred feet of C5E and ends...  They are yours to use as necessary...  I can help also as my schedule permits...

Thanks.  I'm going to find a source for Cat6 wire and ends, but I would definitely appreciate the crimper and some help.

Joe

mvpel

The 802.1x protocol allows port-based access control to the network, so that even if someone manages to plug a copper cable into your network, they still won't have access unless you permit them.  It requires an authentication server, though, such as a RADIUS server.

cyberdoo78

All things being equal, a wireless network is inheritantly more secure then a hard wired network. People think that because the data is in the air someone can pull it down and read it, not true. In fact with the current highest level of protection included on most common household wi-fi routersthat the data, in my opinion is more secure then the data flowing along the 'hardwire'.

People don't know that the cable used in home data networks is unshielded. This means it can be jammed, read, and written to, while not easily, it is more possible, more so then a wireless network.

Let me make it easy to understand, if I can. The lines of your hard wired network are two lanes of road between your computer and the network you are attached to, your cable modem. Your data flows back and forth on this road via flatbed trucks in open containers. If someone wanted to see what was on your network, they could just sit by the side of the road, in this case attach a device on the outside of the cable and not actually into the cable, and watch the traffic go by. They could get on the road, stop the truck, unload the cargo and load their own and send the driver on his way, all without you noticing it.

Your wireless network is a little different. Your wireless network, when propertly equiped, has built in encryption. Instead of your road, you have an airport at the computer and another at the cable modem. Now, you have non-stop flights going to and from your two airports, but the data is carried in the cargo compartment in containers secured with heavy armor and a lock system that can only be locked by the sender and unlocked by the reciever. You can highjack the plane, but you can't open the container. You can't put data into the container because its locked, and the paperwork is stored in the container so can't replace it with something else because the airport would detect it.

Now, this is an oversimplifation of the two network types. I'm not trying to convince you to go wireless, there are something wired does better then wireless, streaming multiple video streams comes to mind, but to give you all the options.

But the fact is that wireless is more secure then wired because traffic is encrypted from end to end, whereas wired is not. You can use secured technologies between computers, these require programs to be installed and configured from end to end.

Hope I've helped you.

MaineShark

Quote from: mvpel on May 17, 2007, 11:59 AM NHFTThe 802.1x protocol allows port-based access control to the network, so that even if someone manages to plug a copper cable into your network, they still won't have access unless you permit them.  It requires an authentication server, though, such as a RADIUS server.

Translation? :o ;D

Quote from: cyberdoo78 on May 17, 2007, 12:29 PM NHFTPeople don't know that the cable used in home data networks is unshielded. This means it can be jammed, read, and written to, while not easily, it is more possible, more so then a wireless network.

Uh, I do know what UTP means. ;)

Quote from: cyberdoo78 on May 17, 2007, 12:29 PM NHFTIf someone wanted to see what was on your network, they could just ... attach a device on the outside of the cable and not actually into the cable, and watch the traffic go by. They could get on the road, stop the truck, unload the cargo and load their own and send the driver on his way, all without you noticing it.

I expect I would notice such a device.  Kind of hard to hide, in a house.  Too great a risk of discovery.

Joe

MaineShark

On a related note, we need to get a phone system set up, as well.  Since Metrocast is being slow about getting their digital phone service installed in this area, we're thinking of going with Vonage for the next six months or so, until Metrocast gets around to installing their system.

We were looking at this unit and this unit, since they allow both wired and wireless access, and this unit as a wired-only option.

Anyone know about the security level of their equipment?  Any benefit of one unit over the other(s)?

Joe

error

Quote from: MaineShark on May 17, 2007, 04:57 PM NHFT
We were looking at this unit and this unit, since they allow both wired and wireless access, and this unit as a wired-only option.

Anyone know about the security level of their equipment?  Any benefit of one unit over the other(s)?

All three are basic, bare bones stuff. If you're a heavy Internet user, you need to get one with built in QoS (quality of service) (it'll be a listed feature). The D-Link VWR has this feature from the factory, but Vonage disables it, which is a serious customer disservice.

Google says the wireless range on the VT2542 sucks. If you have a decently sized house, you probably won't like it.

All in all, you may have to get a separate router to do the QoS stuff if this is important to you.

One last thing, if you're using Comcrap, your upload speed already sucks, and VoIP is going to be terrible. You'll hear fine, but sound choppy to the people you talk to, even with light Internet usage.

mvpel

I'm quite glad I went with my Packet8 VoIP service instead of Vonage, given the Vonage patent infringement situation.  Packet8's parent company, 8x8, has been in business for about 20 years, and were pioneers in some of the telephony and video conferencing technology.  It's $25 a month or $200 a year for unlimited calls to the US and Canada.  We've had it for around 2 years now, and have never had a real problem with it, even with Comcast broadband.

We even used it over a 48kbps dialup connection from Russia through the internet connection sharing function on my laptop, and spent about as much per hour of phone calls to the US as we did per minute the first trip.  Couldn't surf and talk at the same time, like we can with Comcast, but the audio quality was just fine.

They also have a fax service using the T.38 Fax-over-IP protocol, for $10 a month.

They have a new unit, the Packet8 Tango, which allows the use of normal analog handsets with a video phone, we're thinking about getting that for use with the grandparents and aunts and uncles. 

http://www.packet8.net/

MaineShark

Thanks... now i have even more options to consider!

LOL

I guess I have some reading to do.

Joe

error

Heh. I built my own service. Definitely not an option for everyone, but... :)

MaineShark

Mike: can you get two voice lines from them?  Or just one voice and one fax?

Quote from: error on May 17, 2007, 07:15 PM NHFTHeh. I built my own service. Definitely not an option for everyone, but... :)

How's that work?

Joe