• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Home networking help

Started by MaineShark, May 16, 2007, 09:21 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineShark

Also, while I'm asking networking questions, what's a good router/firewall/whatever to screen my network from the Internet?

Joe

PowerPenguin

Do you want an embedded solution or just firewall/router software for an old junky PC with a couple of network cards? If the latter, I recommend IP Cop. It's easy to set up, is stable, and is pretty secure. I don't do anything crazy @ my place, but it stands up to people doing stupid stuff all the time. As for hardware, I used to use a Linksys wireless eady 10/100 switch back in the day, but I prefer the more flexible linux box solution better. If you're really savvy, you can have the best of both worlds: embedded linux on a hardware router. I just read a cool article about this yesterday or the day before, but I can't find the link anymore. Search osnews.com, Linux Today, or eWeek Linux. It was in my RSS aggregator, and those three are in there. It has to be on one of those sites ;)

error

Quote from: MaineShark on May 17, 2007, 08:03 PM NHFT
Quote from: error on May 17, 2007, 07:15 PM NHFTHeh. I built my own service. Definitely not an option for everyone, but... :)

How's that work?

Joe

Um. First, you buy VoIP service wholesale. Then you buy an old computer on eBay and set up your own softswitch on it. Finally, you hook up your ATA and a phone. :)

I'm experimenting with putting the softswitch directly into the firmware in an off the shelf wireless router, so that you can dispense with the computer, and get Wi-Fi out of it too. The final setup looks much like this:

The advantage of this method is that you aren't sending UDP packets back and forth over the network, so it's much easier to prioritize your phone calls, and to punch them through your firewall (there's just one TCP port instead of a thousand UDP ports). If the softswitch is outside your firewall (as it is with Vonage, and every other provider) then you may occasionally have problems getting your calls to go through your firewall.

error

As for firewalls, I usually recommend non-technical people stick with what came on their router. But if you're interested in experimenting, OpenWRT runs on a wide variety of hardware. It's what I use in the wireless router pictured above.

cyberdoo78

I bricked like 4 linksys routers using OpenWRT. Course I'm never happy with keeping things the same, so I blame me, not the product. The processors aren't powerful enough for me. I'm going to a dedicated firewall PC, most likely, in my final system setup.

error

It must take some special technique to brick a router. I haven't bricked anything yet. :)

I prefer the Buffalo routers now, since they have about double the flash and RAM as the Linksys, they're faster, and cheaper too.

cyberdoo78

Special technique? No, constantly re-flash it and see what happens. Thats what I did. I was/am looking to do a free market wireless internet access thingy, thats why I was messing with them.

mvpel

Joe,

You can get as many voice or fax lines as you want from them.  They just send you an adapter per line, or if you can find a DTA-410 unit, which they don't sell anymore, on eBay or wherever, you can get two lines on a single adapter.

They also offer a business-oriented service, with extensions, auto-attendant, etc.

When I ditched my Verizon cellphone in January, I was very pleased to no longer be a Verizon customer.

error

Quote from: cyberdoo78 on May 18, 2007, 09:43 AM NHFT
Special technique? No, constantly re-flash it and see what happens. Thats what I did. I was/am looking to do a free market wireless internet access thingy, thats why I was messing with them.

"Doc, it hurts when I do this."

"Well, don't do that."

cyberdoo78

"Doc, I want to bend my knee in the oppasite direction then it was designed for."

:P

error

I had my OpenWRT router NFS mount an external drive on another machine so that I didn't have to reflash it every hour while I tried to figure out what software I needed on it. :)

Pat McCotter

Quote from: cyberdoo78 on May 18, 2007, 08:21 PM NHFT
"Doc, I want to bend my knee in the oppasite direction then it was designed for."

:P
Doc, is my arm supposed to do this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dan

cyberdoo78

Tried them all, when I last had a working Linksys router and DD-WRT was by far my favorite.

error

Oh, what's the big difference between DD-WRT and OpenWRT?