• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Checkpoint Alert

Started by TackleTheWorld, May 22, 2007, 09:16 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: higheye on June 22, 2007, 02:34 PM NHFT
what if you somehow made signage or other notification that a check point was ahead at the exit before it started...

i wonder what the fallout of that would be...

Did that at the sobriety checkpoint in Manchester.  Local police asked us to take the sign away when we left.

Rosie the Riveter

22 Arrested At Portsmouth DUI Checkpoints

POSTED: 10:58 am EDT July 9, 2007

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. -- Portsmouth police said they arrested 22 drivers at DUI checkpoints over the weekend.

Stops were set up this weekend in Portsmouth. Police said they will follow up with more sobriety checkpoints through the summer.

http://www.wmur.com/news/13645245/detail.html

Spencer

I love the reference to the total number of cars stopped.

toowm

Last Thursday afternoon there was a checkpoint at the Manchester airport. They were searching random cars under the bridge.

Kat Kanning

If you refuse a search of your car at the airport, what happens?

toowm

I think you can refuse, but then you can't enter the airport.

error

Quote from: toowm on July 10, 2007, 08:29 AM NHFT
Last Thursday afternoon there was a checkpoint at the Manchester airport. They were searching random cars under the bridge.

This was part of the "heightened" "security" in the wake of the terrorist attack in Scotland.

David

sobriety checkpoint in chesterfield sometime today I think.  Vermont predators police will be partisipating as well.  The 1290 am radio news guy believed it may be on route 9. 

J’raxis 270145

Everyone should add roadblocks they spot to the NMA roadblock registry:—

http://www.roadblock.org/registry.htm

There's only one listed in New Hampshire, and it's five years old.

alohamonkey

Two scheduled for this weekend.  I was going to post in the regional discussion but I don't know which regions they're in.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Salem%2c+Pelham+police+plan+driver-sobriety+checkpoints&articleId=f2d80989-4f01-46d3-93af-962d1e73d70f

Salem, Pelham police plan driver-sobriety checkpoints
By JIM DEVINE
Union Leader Correspondent
15 hours, 57 minutes ago

Checkpoints will be set up by police in Pelham and Salem this holiday weekend in an effort to catch drunken drivers.

Pelham police Lt. Brian McCarthy said the court-approved checkpoints will be conducted in that town between Saturday and Monday. He said the department had a lot of success with a similar operation last year.

Salem police Capt. Shawn Patten said checkpoints will be up in Salem Friday and Saturday.

Pelham police said they have investigated three motorist fatalities in the past six months, including two that involved underage drinking.

McCarthy cited a New Hampshire Department of Safety report that said fatal accidents statewide are up 26 percent since this time last year, with 87 so far, including a disproportionate number of motorcyclist fatalities.

"It's kind of an alarming number," he said.

McCarthy said the traffic stops will be made randomly at undisclosed locations. They could consist of a brief conversation or entail a field sobriety test.

"Our goal is to detect and apprehend impaired drivers," McCarthy said.

The sobriety checkpoints in both towns are being done with money offered through the New Hampshire Highway Safety Agency and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

error

You taxpayers are paying for the government to strip your rights from you at the side of the road. And people think this is a good thing?

David

After meeting another freestater late tonite, I saw 2 cop cars on one stretch of road, and decided to drive to the vermont border to try to find the nazi 'papers please' sobriety checkpoint.  At about 10:30-11:00 on route 9 west there was none. 

toowm

Quote from: alohamonkey on August 29, 2007, 02:58 PM NHFT
Two scheduled for this weekend.  I was going to post in the regional discussion but I don't know which regions they're in.

Salem and Pelham are in the Merrimack Valley, bordering Mass along I-93. I might mess with them. >:D

KBCraig

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Claremont+targeting+drunk+drivers&articleId=bb43adf7-3cd2-4edb-8607-a9a2f2c15d3f

Claremont targeting drunk drivers

By KRISTEN SENZ
Union Leader Correspondent

CLAREMONT – In response to a spike in the number of drunk driving arrests in recent years, the Claremont Police Department will set up sobriety checkpoints throughout the Labor Day weekend.

As of Aug. 27, Claremont police had charged 61 people with driving under the influence of alcohol this year. That's six more DUI arrests than were made in all of 2005. That year, 55 arrests were made, and in 2006, the figure nearly tripled to 153.

Claremont Police Chief Alexander Scott said he's not sure if more people are choosing to drive drunk or if enhanced enforcement efforts and increased police department staffing are paying off.

"I think it's a bit of both, and people just aren't getting the message," he said.

The Claremont Police Department secured a $2,000 grant from the New Hampshire Highway Safety Division to conduct the sobriety screenings during the upcoming holiday weekend. Scott refused to divulge where and when the checkpoints would be set up.

"In addition to our regular enforcement efforts, which are obviously 24/7, there will be a dedication of 12 hours over the course of the weekend specifically targeting impaired drivers," he said.

A court order handed down by a Sullivan County Superior Court judge authorized the checkpoints and random driver screenings. "We can't pick and choose (which drivers we stop)," Scott said. "Our discretion is taken out of it."

Scott said six officers would be stopping drivers to ask a few questions, and those drivers could then be subject to roadside sobriety tests if the officers suspect impairment.

Over the last three years, 150 people have died as a result of alcohol-impaired drivers on New Hampshire roadways. More than 30 percent all motor vehicle fatalities in the state are alcohol related, Scott said.

"The incidence of alcohol related crashes predictably rise during holiday periods," he said. "That includes Labor Day weekend."

Despite aggressive drunk-driving laws and focused efforts by law enforcement, alcohol-impaired drivers continue to be a serious problem across the state.

Sam Adams

I believe that many of these checkpoints are funded by grants from the state DOT, Safety Division. It's (pretty much annual) pork that gives cops a lot of overtime while providing "relief" (yuk, yuk) for local taxpayers. Check with your local town halls to see if they have held hearings to "apply for, receive and expend" such grants, as the law requires.