• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Jobs, possibly moving this fall

Started by Libertarian Hippie, May 22, 2007, 11:09 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Libertarian Hippie

Well, life through a little curveball at me today that, no matter what happens, is going to be drastically changing my life.
I can't say exactly what right now, however....

Depending on how this works out, I may end up being able to move this fall. I'd have at least 2000$ that I could bring, and perhaps as much as 3500$ depending on how much overtime we get this summer. But I won't have a vehicle yet, so I need to find somewhere that has a good public transportation system (Buses, trolleys, or whatever) so that I could get back and forth easily until I'd have enough money for a vehicle. I'd be looking for a job as either an Electronics Assembler or Materials Handler, I currently work as the former at a facility which produces surge protectors of all sizes (some as big as I am), and I occasionally help out doing Material Handling.

By the time I'd be moving, I'd have 7 or 8 months experience under my belt.

Can anyone recommend any cities, and why? And how much should I budget for rent?

41mag

I work for Warner Power.  I know that we will probably have openings for assembly (power supplies--250KVA give or take some as the customer desires) since this is an area that they will be expanding.

Warner is about 20 miles NW of Concord on I89.  Nice area, but I doubt there is anything in the way of public transportation.

Libertarian Hippie

Quote from: 41mag on May 23, 2007, 12:50 AM NHFT
I work for Warner Power.  I know that we will probably have openings for assembly (power supplies--250KVA give or take some as the customer desires) since this is an area that they will be expanding.

Warner is about 20 miles NW of Concord on I89.  Nice area, but I doubt there is anything in the way of public transportation.

Thanks. I'll look into the company and apartments nearby.
What wage does your company start the assemblers at?

Russell Kanning

If you move before you have a job, I would recommend plopping yourself right in the middle of manchestahhh.

Jim Peschke

QuoteIf you move before you have a job, I would recommend plopping yourself right in the middle of manchestahhh.

Agreed.  If you have the guts to move before finding employment, more power to you.  I did it the other way around.  Maybe you could get very short term housing so that you'd be free to work wherever you'd like, knowing that you could always move if you found a better location.  Does your chosen profession lend itself to long distance job searches?  (Where are yu moving from)

Rosie the Riveter

Manchester has a bus system, is small enough to travel anywhere by bike, and has plenty of jobs -- There is even a Porc that rents rooms for, I think, around $500 per month.

Heyduke

Quote from: Russell Kanning on May 25, 2007, 09:18 AM NHFT
If you move before you have a job, I would recommend plopping yourself right in the middle of manchestahhh.

www.indeed.com is a nice employment meta search engine some turned me on to recently--manchester has PSNH, Comcast and a few other larger firms...also decent for apts and nightlife--but if you're a true hippy and prefer the country, then best to start planning for down the road--identify a crashpad, make the move, find a job, keep a low profile and keep in touch with folks from these boards--getting to know people in NH as a newcomer is a funky proposition for some...

...recently retreated to New Boston from Goffstown...I'm not a porc, but rather a curious onlooker and supporter...

what's your scoop?  what kind of cultural reality are you most comfortable in?