• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Forum Announcement - Please Read

Started by Kat Kanning, May 23, 2007, 08:02 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jaqeboy

Quote from: MaineShark on May 27, 2007, 02:47 PM NHFT

Quote from: jaqeboy on May 27, 2007, 01:59 PM NHFT2. Revolution does not necessarily imply "armed rebellion", "armed resistance" or any force of arms issue/violence at all.

In the historical context under which the document was written, it certainly does.

Joe

We differ then. I defer to the Romans, who apparently used the term differently, as the definition states. Usages like the "Scientific Revolution" also come to mind (per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_revolution, beginning in 1500's). I will agree that many people still (erroneously, I think) use the term to imply or specifically mean "armed rebellion", when, of course, as the definitions state, it does not. This, I believe, is merely a lack of training, not an issue worth fighting (!) over. I do believe the proper usage in this case leads to better understanding, though.

error

I don't think anyone here's proposing a scientific revolution.

MaineShark

Quote from: error on May 27, 2007, 03:18 PM NHFTI don't think anyone here's proposing a scientific revolution.

Yeah, and in the actual context under which the NH Constitution was written, the meaning intended by the writers is clear.

Joe

Dreepa

Revolution-- I do not think it means what you think it means.

(Princess Bride... and Ron Paul Revolution video)

jaqeboy

Quote from: MaineShark on May 27, 2007, 03:24 PM NHFT
Quote from: error on May 27, 2007, 03:18 PM NHFTI don't think anyone here's proposing a scientific revolution.

Yeah, and in the actual context under which the NH Constitution was written, the meaning intended by the writers is clear.

Joe

error, how'd you see my post? I thought you were ignoring me!

Courts hear arguments all the time about what the intent of the framers/drafters was and litigants often have to go to great lengths (research) to prove to the court that their interpretation of the intent is correct. In this case, the explicit wording is what the law is, ie, to reform or re-establish a government (see exact wording again). With explicit wording, such as this is, there usually isn't reason to speculate on what the intent is. Remember, the title, that includes the word "Revolution", could have been tacked on 50 years later (This speculation could be put to rest by looking at the parchment original at the archives - I'm betting the title isn't on there.).

That's why I mention the archives and suggest an organized committee to research this. The chief archivist suggested to me, when I was researching another item, that to find the real intent, one could even read the newspapers of the time (for articles & editorials), which would be housed at either the Historical Society (http://www.nhhistory.org/), 30 Park Street or the State Library (http://www.nh.gov/nhsl/index.html), 20 Park Street in Concord.

I don't think a state would ever write in an article allowing a right to armed rebellion or insurrection (have yet to see that one!), and the 1784 New Hampshire Constitution certainly did not.

d_goddard

jaqeboy

jaqeboy

Quote from: jaqeboy on May 27, 2007, 03:43 PM NHFT
...(This speculation could be put to rest by looking at the parchment original at the archives - I'm betting the title isn't on there.).

That's why I mention the archives and suggest an organized committee to research this. The chief archivist suggested to me, when I was researching another item, that to find the real intent, one could even read the newspapers of the time (for articles & editorials), which would be housed at either the Historical Society (http://www.nhhistory.org/), 30 Park Street or the State Library (http://www.nh.gov/nhsl/index.html), 20 Park Street in Concord.

BTW, as a hospitality service to newcomers, I would be glad to conduct a tour of the Archives and State Library resources (haven't been in the Hist. Soc.), if, in return, they would do some cooperative research on the "Right of Revolution" project (not an existing group yet).

Caleb

Quote from: jaqeboy on May 27, 2007, 03:43 PM NHFT
error, how'd you see my post? I thought you were ignoring me!

He must've found the "show" button on the right side ...
You probably got ignored for daring to question the government's version of 9/11
But he just can't ignore your posts ... what if you spout some unauthorized nonsense that questions the government's role in 9/11?

The only solution?  Put you on ignore ... then read every one of  your posts individually.  :)

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: wholetthedogin? on May 27, 2007, 11:15 AM NHFT

I think it is healthy for a little discourse on this subject.  The ass kissers will continue to be ass kissers.  There has been room for all asses here with reasonable decorum for the golden rule, which includes not eating our own.

Too bad I have a show to direct on Sat. -- this is one ass kisser that would have liked to be able to have a discussion in person with you guys about this rather than on the forum -- Now that I think about it -- having a discussion with me about this probably wouldn't be to pleasant for anyone, I am truly a tenacious bitch in an argument, so it's for the better that I work and am not able to go to the MVP meetings.

For the record -- I vehemently support Kat's reasonable request.  If that makes me an ass kisser so be it. 

Dreepa

Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on May 27, 2007, 07:09 PM NHFT
I am truly a tenacious bitch in an argument,

Note... don't argue with Rosie... haul the shit up the stairs when she tells you to.

Note #2... Haul her cooler up to her site.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Dreepa on May 27, 2007, 07:38 PM NHFT
Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on May 27, 2007, 07:09 PM NHFT
I am truly a tenacious bitch in an argument,

Note... don't argue with Rosie... haul the shit up the stairs when she tells you to.

Note #2... Haul her cooler up to her site.

Yup -- sounds about right

Note #3... don't piss her off -- she may look harmless, but really she bites.  ;)

error

Quote from: Rosie the Riveter on May 27, 2007, 07:50 PM NHFT
Yup -- sounds about right

Note #3... don't piss her off -- she may look harmless, but really she bites.  ;)

Oh shit!

dalebert

Just talk about violent revolution on the FTL website. You don't even need to start a new forum.

This place is like a house that Kat and Russell built. It's very reasonable for them to establish some guidelines against behavior that makes them uncomfortable in their own home. I will respect their wishes, which won't be difficult since the same things make me uncomfortable also. When in Rome, and all that. It's just the polite thing to do. That's actually a very Libertarian approach. Don't like it- vote with your feet.

error

Good point. You can talk about virtually anything on the FTL BBS. (In fact, people do.)