• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Taproom Tuesdays

Started by error, May 24, 2007, 12:06 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

error

Well, I will have to call this little experiment a success! We had a total of 7 people (plus 1 small child) present throughout the night and also made friends with several of the locals who were present at Murphy's.

Two of the seven were open carrying their 1911 pistols. On that note, I should interject here that Keith, the proprietor, is due to appear before a board of local bureaucrats to get permission to expand his business into the back room. One issue that was raised was open carry. This is of course, perfectly legal and fine, except there were two people on Tuesday who apparently were carrying their firearms in unusual ways.

One such person had a small-of-back holster, and someone told Keith that it was unsafe to carry in this manner because it would be too easy to disarm such person and use the gun against them. I didn't see who this was, so I have no idea. Keith suspects, and I agree, that it was someone who normally carries concealed in that position and allowed their gun to become visible by removing their jacket. If this is you, please be aware of your surroundings and the manner in which you're carrying.

The other person had their pistol visible in front, for which Keith got a complaint that the carry position gave the perception of someone looking for trouble, rather than a responsible gun owner. Please be aware that bureaucrats are watching Keith's business and while we all agree they shouldn't have any business telling anybody how to run their business, they presently do, and they aren't going to be particularly thrilled with anything that reminds them of the previous occupant of that building.

I just want to personally say that carrying a firearm is not simply a right, but also a responsibility. In fact, it's the ultimate responsibility. You're carrying the power of death on your hip. Most of you know this already and have the proper respect for that power. In addition, there is the perception which your manner of carry conveys to people around you. While this really shouldn't matter, and in an ideal world would not, we aren't there yet, and so I would suggest that you be careful with the manner in which you carry.

On to more pleasant news of the first Free State Friday (or whatever better name someone can come up with). As I said, seven people showed up, not all at the same time (as usual) and as far as I could tell everyone had a good time. Though it seemed that just after someone left, the next people arrived. I despair of getting everyone to the same place at the same time, but that's all right; this is still all experimental for now, and besides, you can't herd cats.

Quantrill failed to completely embarrass himself, except at the dart board. Dave Ridley showed and talked to us for a while about a wide variety of things, and even roped in one of Quantrill's former coworkers who just happened to be there.

I spoke to several people who were there having dinner, some of whom were enthusiastic gun owners, about guns and open carry. One of the women in that group said that she felt safer there because I was open carrying.

And later, after everyone else had left, I got to talking to two young women who, it turned out, were Ron Paul supporters, but had never gotten plugged into the existing activist networks, and didn't even know what if anything was going on. So I invited them to Taproom Tuesday and to check the Meetup group.

All in all it was an exciting evening, even without the crowds of Tuesdays late.

Rosie the Riveter

Thanks for the invite tonight and for the update. Free State Friday sounds fun  :D

I also appreciate your willingness to post your thoughts about the optimal ways to open carry and how open carry could impact murphy's. The last thing any of us wants to do is put murphy's at risk.  I am glad to have read this well thought out post and when or if I ever open carry I will consider and heed your suggestions.

KBCraig

Thanks for the update, Michael.  8)

Dreepa

Quote from: Beavis on September 01, 2007, 12:42 AM NHFT
And later, after everyone else had left, I got to talking to two young women who, it turned out, were Ron Paul supporters, but had never gotten plugged into the existing activist networks, and didn't even know what if anything was going on. So I invited them to Taproom Tuesday and to check the Meetup group.

8)

David

I'm not the brightest bulb in the bunch, but I couldn't figure out who beavis was, with all of his 6000 posts.  Until I saw this thread.  I knew error originally started this one.   ;D :blush:

toowm

Quote from: David on September 02, 2007, 09:48 PM NHFT
I'm not the brightest bulb in the bunch, but I couldn't figure out who beavis was, with all of his 6000 posts.  Until I saw this thread.  I knew error originally started this one.   ;D :blush:
heh heh heh

error

The next Taproom Tuesday is tonight from 6:30 pm until everyone's had enough fun for one night! Bring your jackets because the weather is expected to turn cooler today.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: David on September 02, 2007, 09:48 PM NHFT

This probably won't surprise anyone but me too! 8)

Quantrill

I'll be up there in a couple hours.

I'm THIRSTY...

The Anti-Assemblage

Dreepa

Pat K

Amos Keag

anyone still down there?

gotta finish processing the monsters, i mean daughters.

rosie s/b home shortly, and i'll be down for a pint.

amos

error

The specials were indeed special!

Tonight's Taproom Tuesday had nearly 30 freedom lovers in attendance, including a couple of off-duty police officers who were open carrying their sidearms and are quite supportive of the freedom movement in general. I think I spent half the evening talking to them, and I am really not one to spend much time with cops! Many of the usual suspects (pun intended) were also present.

Be aware that those of us not going to the GOP debate at UNH Durham will be back at Murphy's tomorrow night where we will watch the debate on the big TV screens. I plan to show up around 7 pm, though the debate doesn't start until 9.

And if you won't be there, then I'll see you all on Friday!

error

Oh, and Chris, we're there all night, and you weren't!! :(