• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Property Tax Revolt?

Started by FTL_Ian, April 24, 2005, 09:04 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Heh, you've never talked to me about the schools.

Dave Ridley

Here's an update on the press release, Kat has posted an older version to the Wiki.    Let's get this baby sent out!

New Hampshire family to defy school property tax

From NHfree.com
Keene, N.H.; June 15 2005

38-year-old Kat Dillon isn't satisfied she's getting her money's worth from government schools.  In fact, she says she isn't getting anything from them at all.

"My child is homeschooled," says Dillon.  "She's never gone to public school and never will.  I don't get any use out of it, so it's wrong for them to make me pay for it."

To drive her point home, Dillon will appear at Keene City Hall on June 30 with a check for only a fraction of what the city says she and her family owe.

"The part that would have gone to public schools...we're keeping it.  It's our money."

After handing over her truncated check, Dillon will lead a protest outside city hall urging others to "recalculate" their taxes as well.  She says she has no idea whether her act of noncompliance will inspire anyone else to do the same but that her family will "do this alone if necessary."

Dillon is no stranger to protest. On June 11 her husband Russell Kanning made national news when he chose arrest over compliance with TSA regulations at Manchester Airport.  And it was Dillon who received the infamous nail buff from "Outlaw Manicurist" Mike Fisher.  In May, Fisher gave her an unlicensed manicure in front of the state licensing board and also went to jail for it.   

The soft-spoken computer programmer says she recognizes her act of civil disobedience will probably trigger retaliation, but "it's the right thing to do."

Summary:

What: Civil disobedience against school property tax
How:  By handing over a check that does not include the "school portion" of the tax, then leading a protest.
Why:   "It's my money!"
Where: Keene City Hall: 3 Washington St. (at the traffic circle), Keene, NH.
When:  10:00 A.M. Thursday, June 30, 2005. 
Who:  Kat Dillon, supporters from NHfree.com, whoever wants to join us.
Contacts:  Kat Dillon or Russell Kanning (603) 357-2049, backup: Dave Ridley (603) 721-1490.  Updates will appear at NHfree.com

jgmaynard

I LIKE this idea............ I have a few suggestions, though. :D

1) I wouldn't put as much emphasis on schools.. What about general government waste? What about level funding which repeats spending year after year, even for projects which are already completed? A general "waste in government" campaign will resonate BIG time with NH residents.

2) I KNOW there is a fine balance between bugging reporters and helping them. But they DO want to be fed information from time to time (I have a lot of experience here, and about once a month seems about right). I've had reporters beg me before for any stories on the FSP. What we don't want to send out are "NH Underground comments on HB 219" "stories". They're not news. Events are.

2b) Hence, the final PR should probably go to local media (Sentinel, WKBK) and probably the Union Leader for statewide distribution. Not AP, etc.

3) You might want to get Central Square for the demonstration. Better visiblity. You could get (for free) "permission" to use the park from the Rec Center. Maybe distasteful to some, but if they try to kick us out, won't it be cool to just wave a paper in their faces and say "sorry!". :)

4) This MIGHT be good exposure for an announcement of candidacy for City Council :)

JM

tracysaboe

You might want a collection of John Taylor Gatto Books, Some Copies of Rothboards Education: Free and Compulsory
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0945466226/qid=1118852164/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-2647550-4404819?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Maybe even Milton Friedman's free to choose. (Although, he supports vouchers, and then only going to "legitimate schools." )

And you could sort of have a little minni book sale at your table.

Tracy

tracysaboe

So she simply refuses to pay the 12% interest as well.

What are they going to do. Eventually, they're going to come after her, with guns, and throw her in jail.

She should set up her own personal blog site to list updates on the details. Her thoughts on how government schools waiste her money. Debates online she might get into. And updates on government actions against her, her responces and thoughts on them.

It's possible she could develope quite a cult following. So that by the time, (you know, 5 years later, when they come to arrest her.) she could have lots of support.

Tracy

Russell Kanning

We can hand out flyers....so people can adjust their taxes as they see fit. Some might want to subtract for multiple factors. :)

tracysaboe

Quote from: president on June 15, 2005, 11:26 AM NHFT
Quote from: tracysaboe on June 15, 2005, 11:22 AM NHFT
So she simply refuses to pay the 12% interest as well.

What are they going to do.
They will simply sell the property, or wait for her to sell it, and take the tax money, plus interest.

I think the interest rate jumps to 18% once the tax lien thing happens.

So she squats and stays.

Eventually, they'll need to use guns to force her out.

Tracy

tracysaboe

Then they'll be shown for the thieves and thugs that they are.

Tracy

Russell Kanning

Quote from: tracysaboe on June 15, 2005, 02:08 PM NHFT
So she squats and stays.

Eventually, they'll need to use guns to force her out.

Tracy
This is when it gets fun >:D

danhynes

I was just wondering why so many people dislike public education. I see it as a community good, such as roads. It would be extremely inneficient to have everyone pay a toll to use every street, so instead taxes pay for public services like roads. Even if your daughter does not benefit from the public school as she is homeschooled, if you went to public schools, then you did benefit from the education. Personally I like the idea of public schools as it gives everyone an education, which in turn makes them more likely to get a job, and eventually make more money.

Lloyd Danforth

And to think we let this guy protest with us.  ;D I even lent him my crappie jacket!

I'll let someone better versed in this subject handle this one.

KBCraig

Quote from: danhynes on June 15, 2005, 05:43 PM NHFT
I like the idea of public schools as it gives everyone an education, which in turn makes them more likely to get a job, and eventually make more money.

" . . . it gives everyone an education . . ."

That's where you err in your logic.

As my father said, "All children are home-schooled, whether they learn anything in public school or not." Education starts at home, and is best accomplished there through at least age 12; thereafter, the child's needs and abilities will make it clear what education they need.

Kevin

Michael Fisher

Quote from: danhynes on June 15, 2005, 05:43 PM NHFT
I was just wondering why so many people dislike public education. I see it as a community good, such as roads. It would be extremely inneficient to have everyone pay a toll to use every street, so instead taxes pay for public services like roads. Even if your daughter does not benefit from the public school as she is homeschooled, if you went to public schools, then you did benefit from the education. Personally I like the idea of public schools as it gives everyone an education, which in turn makes them more likely to get a job, and eventually make more money.

The Underground History of American Education
A Schoolteacher's Intimate Investigation Into The Problem Of Modern Schooling
http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/index.htm

FTL_Ian

Govt school = communism.

Education is critical, and that's exactly why government needs to keep its hands off.

Dreepa

Ian that might be a stretch... so paying Fed Taxes supports Communism?