• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Property Tax Revolt?

Started by FTL_Ian, April 24, 2005, 09:04 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

I got on the air at WKBK and mentioned this at the tail end of the Al Kulas show Saturday morning.  Told him what Kat is planning to do. Tim Robertson was on his way in to pick up the start of his own show and I could hear him in the background reacting - and boy was he reacting!  He said "they'll take her house!"   then he said "does she have a mortgage?"  Al seemed shocked by the whole thing but excited.  Wouldn't say necessarily that he supports it but it did seem to capture his attention!

Russell Kanning

Good to hear that our caring politicians are already planning our punishments

Dave Ridley

Here's the latest version for distribution inside NH

Keene family to defy school tax

From NHfree.com
Keene, N.H.; June 15 2005

38-year-old Kat Dillon isn't satisfied she's getting her money's worth from government schools.  In fact, she says she isn't getting anything from them at all.

"My child is homeschooled," says Dillon.  "She's never gone to public school and never will.  I don't get any use out of it, so it's wrong for them to make me pay for it."

To drive her point home, Dillon will appear at Keene City Hall on June 30 with a check for only 42% of what the city says she and her family owe.

"The part that would have gone to public schools...we're keeping it.  It's our money."

After handing over her truncated check, Dillon will lead a protest outside city hall urging others to "recalculate" their taxes as well.  She says she has no idea whether her act of noncompliance will inspire anyone else to do the same but that her family will "do this alone if necessary."

Dillon is a longtime opponent of tax-funded schooling, which she considers "education prevention."  And she's no stranger to protest. On June 11 her husband Russell Kanning made national news when he chose arrest over compliance with TSA regulations at Manchester Airport.  And it was Dillon who received the infamous nail buff from "Outlaw Manicurist" Mike Fisher.  In May, Fisher gave her an unlicensed manicure in front of the state licensing board and also went to jail for it.   

The soft-spoken computer programmer says she recognizes her act of civil disobedience will probably trigger retaliation, possibly even the loss of her home.  "But," she says, "it's the right thing to do."

Summary:

What: Civil disobedience against school property tax
How:  By handing over a check that does not include the "school portion" of the tax, then leading a protest.
Why:   Because people shouldn't be forced to pay for a system they don't use or agree with
Where: Keene City Hall: 3 Washington St. (at the traffic circle), Keene, NH.
When:  10:00 A.M. Thursday, June 30, 2005.
Who:  Kat Dillon of Keene, supporters from NHfree.com
Contacts:  Kat Dillon (603) 357-2049, Backup:  Dave Ridley (603) 721-1490

Dave Ridley

I've sent this press release out to 30 liberty lovers on my email list mostly in-state.

Michael Fisher

For some reason, I'm still in denial that Kat and Russell are doing this. ? ;D

They definitely deserve all the support I can give, so I will get my butt into gear!

This protest DOES meet the requirement that it is obviously just. ?I only could not see it before as clearly as I see it now.

My prior concern of overusing the media is also unfounded. ?This is an extremely interesting issue, especially here in New Hampshire!!!

I will send this press release to all of my media contacts. ? :)

Dave Ridley

Couple thoughts...  I haven't yet heard anyone articulate why *Keene* public schools should not get our money.    People seem to want to know that.   General disagreement with public schools may not cut it in the debate that will ensue.   Personally I don't know much about Keene public schools can anyone enlighten me about their faults and saving graces if any? 

The only thing I could say is that there seems to be a lot of waste going on considering how long they have held on to that sinkhole 34  West building.   

Dave Ridley

also my press release doestn't do such a great job articulating why public schools fail to help society, maybe it could use an update.  I like the idea of folks grabbing the releases and just making new ones rather than merely suggesting changes.  Less delay that way, 

AlanM

Dada,the issue here IS opposition to Compulsory Schooling, coupled with Compulsory Financing of same. If it becomes framed to a question of inefficiency or waste, the issue is clouded.

Michael Fisher

Kat's arguments in the press release cover the primary argument.? You do not need to attack Keene's public schools, or any other public schools at all, to make your point.

The point is this:

Human beings have a right to decide how they will educate their children and how they will spend their own money to do it.

Especially because she has a daughter and wants to educate her outside of the public school system, NO tax money should be taken from her for educating someone else's children.? She needs the money for her own daughter.

Especially in this case, the education-related property tax is unjust.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: AlanM on June 20, 2005, 08:10 AM NHFT
Dada,the issue here IS opposition to Compulsory Schooling, coupled with Compulsory Financing of same. If it becomes framed to a question of inefficiency or waste, the issue is clouded.

Agreed.  I made this mistake with my protest by making it a question of business regulations instead of consumer rights.   :-\

AlanM

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on June 20, 2005, 08:15 AM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on June 20, 2005, 08:10 AM NHFT

Agreed.? I made this mistake with my protest by making it a question of business regulations instead of consumer rights.? ?:-\

Mike, I think it is BOTH consumer rights, AND business regulations. A person should be free to run a business as they wish, and a consumer should be able to make their own choices, free from regulation.

Michael Fisher

Add something to the press release that says:

"We need this money to educate Kira at home.? How am I supposed to afford homeschooling for my daughter when I'm forced to pay for public school even if she's not in it?"

...as long as Kat or Russell agree to be the source of that quote.

Then add a sentence to the press release stating something like this:

In New Hampshire, all property owners are required to pay for public schools.? No exceptions are allowed for those who choose to take their children out of the public school system.

AlanM

"What was needed was some kind of halfway house that would train individuals for the halfway lives ordinary people would be more and more called upon to lead. In a utopia of machinery and steam, there could be free lunch for unprecedented numbers?but only if there were chains, bread, and water for the rest, at least for some unknown while. Plans for such a halfway institution as forced schooling (think of it as a training factory or a training mine) came together in Boston, Philadelphia, and New York, drawn by the best minds, for the best motives. They inflicted stupendous damage on the libertarian rights and privileges bequeathed to Americans by the nation?s founders."

From "Underground History of American Education" John Taylor Gatto

This is what the whole issue boils down to IMO.

Dave Ridley

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on June 20, 2005, 08:19 AM NHFT
Add something to the press release that says:

"We need this money to educate Kira at home.  How am I supposed to afford homeschooling for my daughter when I'm forced to pay for public school even if she's not in it?"

...as long as Kat or Russell agree to be the source of that quote.

Then add a sentence to the press release stating something like this:

In New Hampshire, all property owners are required to pay for public schools.  No exceptions are allowed for those who choose to take their children out of the public school system.

Mike feel free to re-write the press release, if and when you get kat's permission on the quote, I would just change the last line to read as follows

In New Hampshire, as in most states, all property owners are required to pay for public schools.  No exceptions are allowed for those who choose to take their children out of the public school system.

jgmaynard

I tried to get something started a couple years back that was trying to make it so there was a dollar-for-dollar tax credit against the state-wide property tax for ALL donations to any private, religious or homeschool in NH. This might work at a local level too......

So, you have a $4,000 property tax bill, but you spent (and got receipts for) $2,500 in expenses for your home-school kid, and donate $1,500 that year to a private school, your tax bill is $0.

That would deflate the "harming the children" myth.

JM