• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Property Tax Revolt?

Started by FTL_Ian, April 24, 2005, 09:04 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Dave Ridley

I called free talk live and told them about how kat's protest went today.
So far i've rounded up three good new contacts as a result of this event.

Pat K

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on June 30, 2005, 07:59 PM NHFT
How about the guy who was there with a check for $13,000 plus that he pays twice a year!

For 26 grand a year they should carry him around piggy back when it snows.

The bastards.

Kat Kanning

No kidding.  I about fainted when he showed me his check.

cathleeninnh

It really shows the beauty of property taxation for our purposes. The inequity of it so blatantly apparent. No rational explanation can convince this guy that he gets more municipal services than his neighbors.

Cathleen

Dreepa

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on June 30, 2005, 08:10 PM NHFT
"The only way we can afford to pay this is by not eating."

Mike she could fast with you. ;)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Dreepa on July 01, 2005, 10:42 AM NHFT
Quote from: LeRuineur6 on June 30, 2005, 08:10 PM NHFT
"The only way we can afford to pay this is by not eating."

Mike she could fast with you. ;)

LOL!

Unfortunately, she's not willing to say "no" to the government, even when it means she will suffer significantly for it.   :-\

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on June 30, 2005, 07:59 PM NHFT
How about the guy who was there with a check for $13,000 plus that he pays twice a year!

Is this for one property?!?!? Or does he own more than one?

Lloyd Danforth

My guess is he, probably, has been investing in houses for years, dealing with the repairs, plowing, shoveling, and trying to collect the rents, and, the value went up to close to a million thru inflation.
Or, maybe, his parents died and left him a business block in town ;D

Michael Fisher

I just want to say that I am proud of you, Kat and Russell, for risking your well-being to be some of the very few people in this world saying NO to government.  By your examples, you are leading others to find the spirit of freedom within themselves.

Egocentricity is the process of wanting something other than what is.
Egocentricity means there is an "I" who is separate from everything
else and doesn't like it; one thing is happening, but I want a
different thing to be happening. Egocentricity is that constant
concern with how I feel, what I think, what I'm doing, what I want -
looking at what is and seeing it as inadequate.
My identity is maintained by the struggle of wanting something
other than what is; that is how I continue to know myself.

This practice involves finding a willingness to suffer in order
to end our suffering. Instead of spending our time trying to avoid
suffering, we just find the willingness to go directly into it.
Whenever anything causes us to suffer, we can know two things:
suffering is the same as egocentricity, and when it arises, that
is our best opportunity to end suffering.  As we open to our
suffering, as we embrace it, as we accept it, our relationship to
it changes. It is no longer something horrible, something to escape
from. Suffering becomes just another opportunity, another chance for
freedom.
Please find out about that for yourself.
~From "Trying to be Human" Cheri Huber, Ed. Sara Jenkins

Michael Fisher

"The moment the slave resolves that he will no longer be a slave, his fetters fall. He frees himself and shows the way to others. Freedom and slavery are mental states. Therefore, the first thing is to say to yourself; 'I shall no longer accept the role of a slave. I shall not obey orders as such, but shall disobey them when they are in conflict with my conscience.'"

"The so-called master may lash you and try to force you to serve him. You will say; 'No, I will not serve you for your money or under a threat.' This may mean suffering. Your readiness to suffer will light the torch of freedom which can never be put out."
-Gandhi

Kat Kanning

I'm going to send that first quote to a lady on the Keene City Council.  One of my buddies in TX wrote to the council, and got this response:

I understand your logic, but I sure don't agree with it!  I have no children in the schools....can I get a break on my taxes, too?  And, on the short street where I live, no one in any of the 7 homes has children in the schools.  Do they get a break?  And my friends?  So....none of us pay school taxes and what happens to the schools?  They go down in quality.

I don't use the municipals pools, basketball courts, playgrounds or tennis courts.  Can I deduct that cost from my taxes as well?  There are many roads I don't drive on or sidewalks I don't use....more savings for me?  I haven't had a fire truck at my house in 35 years......should I refuse to pay taxes on that service?  I don't have a plane and I don't use the airport.  More savings for me!!!!!

As you can see, I could go on forever.  When you live in a country (or state) I feel it means you agree to live by the rules adopted by the majority of the people who live there.  If you disagree with those rules, elect different publc officials...or do as many of our ancestors did....find a new land and start your own country.

That sounds "smart a--" and I don't mean to, I just couldn't find another way to put my feelings. I really do appreciate hearing from you and (maybe) I understand what you're saying....but I don't agree with it! If everyone stopped paying for municipal services they don't use......the result would be either no services for those who need them or services so expensive no one (even those who need them) could afford them.

Thanks for writing,

Cynthia Georgina
Ward 5 Councilor

SethCohn

Quote from: katdillon on July 02, 2005, 10:47 AM NHFT
I'm going to send that first quote to a lady on the Keene City Council.  One of my buddies in TX wrote to the council, and got this response:

I understand your logic, but I sure don't agree with it!  I have no children in the schools....can I get a break on my taxes, too?  And, on the short street where I live, no one in any of the 7 homes has children in the schools.  Do they get a break?  And my friends?  So....none of us pay school taxes and what happens to the schools?  They go down in quality.

I don't use the municipals pools, basketball courts, playgrounds or tennis courts.  Can I deduct that cost from my taxes as well?  There are many roads I don't drive on or sidewalks I don't use....more savings for me?  I haven't had a fire truck at my house in 35 years......should I refuse to pay taxes on that service?  I don't have a plane and I don't use the airport.  More savings for me!!!!!

As you can see, I could go on forever.  When you live in a country (or state) I feel it means you agree to live by the rules adopted by the majority of the people who live there.  If you disagree with those rules, elect different publc officials...or do as many of our ancestors did....find a new land and start your own country.

That sounds "smart a--" and I don't mean to, I just couldn't find another way to put my feelings. I really do appreciate hearing from you and (maybe) I understand what you're saying....but I don't agree with it! If everyone stopped paying for municipal services they don't use......the result would be either no services for those who need them or services so expensive no one (even those who need them) could afford them.

Thanks for writing,

Cynthia Georgina
Ward 5 Councilor

When someone runs against her, use her words above... The funny things is that she's missing the point completely: she WOULD be able to afford more things... but she's convinced that she _must_ provide services for free to others.

Dave Ridley

Quote from: katdillon on June 30, 2005, 06:11 PM NHFT
Oh yeah, Tom Eaton was hanging out in front of city hall.? I talked to him briefly and commended him on the defeat of the minimum wage bill.? He didn't comment on the protest, heh.? :)

I talked to him also and thanked him for fighting the cigarrette tax.

KBCraig

http://www.unionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=57165

Man faces new trespass charge in property flap
By HUNTER McGEE
Regional Correspondent

LONDONDERRY ? A man was charged Wednesday with trespassing onto the Grenier Field Road property he owned but was evicted from two years ago for failing to pay $100,000 in property taxes.

Robert O. Saulnier was told earlier in the day by Londonderry police officers that if he was found to be on the property at 22 Grenier Field Road he would be charged with trespass, according to a police affidavit.

Officers responded to the property for a report of criminal trespass and found Saulnier there. He was asked to leave and refused, allegedly saying, "This is what I have to do," the affidavit said.

Saulnier was arrested and charged with criminal trespassing. Bail was set at $1,000 cash by bail commissioner Dennis Ryan. He was not being held at the Rockingham County House of Corrections as of last night, a jail official said.

The Grenier Field Road property is a site where the town is considering building one of two fire stations. It lies near Federal Express.

Saulnier was arrested on July 18, 2002, for trespassing on the property abutting his owned by Atom Construction, police records said.

He was also arrested in October 2003 for cutting a lock and trespassing on his former Grenier Field Road property, police records said. Saulnier said he believed the property still belonged to him and he didn't have anywhere else to go. He was held without bail for 17 days on the two misdemeanor charges before he was released in an agreement where he pled no contest.

The dispute between the town and Saulnier dates back at least 15 years, when local officials said Saulnier didn't pay his property taxes for his residence at 22 Grenier Field Road.

After taking the deed to his property in 1999, town officials said they gave Saulnier more than four years to set up a payment plan to keep his property, but he never made any payments.

Saulnier disagrees. Last year, he said he fell behind in his taxes when his mortgage company more than doubled his escrow payments. He said the town never offered him a payment plan so he tried to make partial payments on his own.

The town denies he ever made partial payments or even one penny in payments.

Saulnier said the town, after deeding itself the property, didn't serve proper notice until three years later in April 2002, when he said he received a notice saying he owed $96,000 to the town.