• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Property Tax Revolt?

Started by FTL_Ian, April 24, 2005, 09:04 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

CNHT

Quote from: DadaOrwell on March 11, 2006, 03:45 PM NHFT
russell and kat are the only ones of us that have done this, or the first depending on whether others emulate them.  But other  NH residents have done it, like Bernie Bastion and Andy Templeman .  Ed naile knows a lot about their cases and i've met both of them, they both did lose houses.

And tell me why you would want to lose your home to the government, allowing them to take even MORE money from you?  ::)

Atlas

Quote from: CNHT on May 17, 2006, 12:48 PM NHFT
russell and kat are the only ones of us that have done this, or the first depending on whether others emulate them.  But other  NH residents have done it, like Bernie Bastion and Andy Templeman .  Ed naile knows a lot about their cases and i've met both of them, they both did lose houses.

And tell me why you would want to lose your home to the government, allowing them to take even MORE money from you?  ::)
Maybe they're willing to stand up to the government by using force?

CNHT

Quote from: FSP-Rebel on May 17, 2006, 01:03 PM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on May 17, 2006, 12:48 PM NHFT

Maybe they're willing to stand up to the government by using force?

Using force? I'm not sure I understand how letting the town take your house is using force?

Atlas

Using force? I'm not sure I understand how letting the town take your house is using force?

[/quote]
Point I'm trying to make is that I don't think that they're gonna let the government take anything. I would presume they would defend their property should the government try to step on their toes. Kind of like or maybe moreso than the Kelo folks. I thought we're supposed to stand up to the government should they do us any personal wrongs. It's a fine line to walk and maybe someday I will muster the cajones to do the same. For standing strong, they must be admired. And should they ever have a problem, I shall consider myself at risk too.

Russell Kanning

taking a government deed and changing the name is different than taking the house. (see Kelo 6) :)

CNHT

Quote from: FSP-Rebel on May 17, 2006, 02:40 PM NHFT
Point I'm trying to make is that I don't think that they're gonna let the government take anything. I would presume they would defend their property should the government try to step on their toes. Kind of like or maybe moreso than the Kelo folks. I thought we're supposed to stand up to the government should they do us any personal wrongs. It's a fine line to walk and maybe someday I will muster the cajones to do the same. For standing strong, they must be admired. And should they ever have a problem, I shall consider myself at risk too.

Well both Templeman and Bastien did not use force, obviously, because they were driven out of their homes. The just let the gov't take their property.
What was the point in that?
Since we are all non-violent (I think we all agree on that priniciple) you can go to court all you want but inevitably your property will be taken and you will be evicted.

Atlas

That is unfortunate for them, but somehow I don't think that they were very organized nor had anyone behind them. Anyways, what ever happened to them after they were evicted?

CNHT

Quote from: FSP-Rebel on May 27, 2006, 02:08 PM NHFT
That is unfortunate for them, but somehow I don't think that they were very organized nor had anyone behind them. Anyways, what ever happened to them after they were evicted?

Well they are still around...I saw Bernie a few weeks ago and Andy, I dunno what he is doing but people are in touch with him.

CNHT

Quote from: russellkanning on May 17, 2006, 02:44 PM NHFT
taking a government deed and changing the name is different than taking the house. (see Kelo 6) :)

Russell, I'm not sure what you mean here, can you explain this to me a bit more?

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: CNHT on May 27, 2006, 06:12 PM NHFT

Russell, I'm not sure what you mean here, can you explain this to me a bit more?

The City of New London took the deeds of the Kelo 6 many years ago, yet the rightful owners still control their properties.
The authorities are afraid using force to evict the residents will turn public sentiment (further) against them.

CNHT

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on May 27, 2006, 07:22 PM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on May 27, 2006, 06:12 PM NHFT

The City of New London took the deeds of the Kelo 6 many years ago, yet the rightful owners still control their properties.
The authorities are afraid using force to evict the residents will turn public sentiment (further) against them.

Aha, I did not know this had been in the works that long.  I don't know how the two here in NH were eventually evicted (Andy and Bernie) but we know them well.
We are also watching closely the Browns' case....the IRS may come and just take everything they have then throw them in jail. I surely hope not.

tracysaboe

OK, so Ian's post here got me thinking.

Do you think it'd be possible to convince 50 people (50 people -- they can't take all of us on.) to refuse to pay their property taxes?

50 people all spread out around the town.  There's no WAY they'd be able to rade all those homes and steal them. 

You just need 50 people! (well, actually 50 seperate residences.)

Do you think you could find 50 people in a city of 22 thousand who own their own property and refuse to pay taxes?

You might even get a few landlords tell all their tenants and they'll lower their rent if the tenent doesn't mind the land-lord not paying property taxes.

It really doesn't take much at all to with-draw and topple consent.

Say 50 families stopped paying property taxes in Keene. Once word started spreading that the government forgot about a good chunk of them and where ineffective at tossing out a good chunk of the rest from their homes.

3 or 4 years later, you could have a situation where people just laugh at the government and refuse to pay it.

Tracy

Russell Kanning

They did it to a bunch of homes in New London CT ..... 50 doesn't guarantee protection.

BTW .... still not payun

tracysaboe

Well -- but see, according to Ian, there's only 50 cops in Keene.

Tracy

Dreepa

Quote from: tracysaboe on July 20, 2006, 02:30 AM NHFT

Do you think you could find 50 people in a city of 22 thousand who own their own property and refuse to pay taxes?

You might even get a few landlords tell all their tenants and they'll lower their rent if the tenent doesn't mind the land-lord not paying property taxes.

It really doesn't take much at all to with-draw and topple consent.
They just do one at a time.