• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Facebook and Washington Post think we're moderates

Started by Edwin Sheldon, May 29, 2007, 06:41 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Edwin Sheldon

Facebook and The Washington Post have added a new application to their website called "The Compass".  The application allows users to take a short political quiz.  The user is provided with a political statement, and the user can choose Strongly Disagree, Disagree, No Opinion/Indifferent, Agree, or Strongly Agree.  So far, so good.

The first bad part is all participants are graded on the overly-simplistic left-moderate-right scale.  ::)

The second bad part is the questions are loaded such that almost any answer you provide makes you a diehard Democrat or a diehard Republican, depending on how you answer.  Some opinions would grant a civil liberty while requiring the government to financially support those receiving the liberty. Because I agreed with the civil liberty but not with funding it with my tax dollars, I ended up answering 'No Opinion/Indifferent' to many of the questions.  As such, they scored me as a moderate!  ;D

QuoteThe federal government should raise taxes so it can provide more help for people who need it:

Law-abiding citizens should have more access to guns:

Except in rare instances, such as when a woman's life is threatened, abortion should be illegal:

The United States must do more with its military power to fight terrorism around the world:

A same-sex couple should have access to the same marital benefits as those given to heterosexual couples:

The military should be given a timetable to leave Iraq:

The government should increase funding on embryonic stem cell research:

The death penalty should be available for those convicted of heinous crimes:

Affirmative action is still needed and should be used to promote diversity in the workplace and higher education:

Illegal immigrants who have shown they are productive members of society should be given amnesty and receive social services:

eques

The false dichotomy between "left" and "right" is so prevalent... and a mistake that's all too easily made.  There was a recent poll on this forum somewhere that had two options, defined in the thread, with a third being "I don't know."  I pointed out that I was a member of neither group as defined, but since I knew I was a member of neither group, I couldn't select "I don't know," either.