• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Announce your move to the Keene area

Started by David, June 02, 2007, 02:35 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Quote from: maulotaur on May 19, 2008, 06:04 PM NHFTIn the past few years here in southeast VA we have gained great things like face-scanning cameras on sidewalks, license-plate photographing at intersections, and city council trying to ban any sort of public gathering  in "their" new town center park.  We also have the state govt wanting all kinds of ridiculous fees like thousands dollars for "speeding" and new tolls on old highways. 

-Paul in VA

we don't have any of that in Keene

maulotaur

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on May 19, 2008, 07:37 PM NHFT
Welcome Paul
The Keene area folks are hosting a bus of visitors from Porcfest on Tuesday, June 10.  We'll show them around with a tour guide,  feed them pancakes, and maybe get them to help with some building project.  It will be a good time to visit.  Hope to see you soon.

Thanks.  The tour sounds interesting - If I can get there by that date, how would I get in on it, and what is the cost?  Is this exclusively for Porcfest registrants or anyone in Keene on that date? 

-Paul in VA

TackleTheWorld

The bus is a porcfest attribute.  But you could follow the bus once it got to Keene.  We have some insiders on the forum that could tell you when and where it will be.  New folks are welcome at the events on the calendar.

srqrebel

Welcome, Paul!

I hope you'll like the Keene area. It's a gorgeous place.

Puke

Speaking of Paul's, what happened to the Paul that just moved hear?

I have now christened this phenomenon of people moving and then disappearing as "Porc-Fading".
Don't succumb to Porc-Fade, stay in touch with Sprint!

dalebert

Quote from: maulotaur on May 20, 2008, 07:33 AM NHFT
Is this exclusively for Porcfest registrants or anyone in Keene on that date? 

I would repost this question over on the Free State Project Forum, but I will go out on a limb and say that I doubt they would turn anyone away from buying a ticket for the tour as long as there's room on the bus for you, and there probably will be. I don't think they'll insist that you get a Porcfest registration. On the other hand, if you're in NH during Porcfest, why the heck wouldn't you want to go?  :D

maulotaur

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on May 20, 2008, 10:22 AM NHFT
The bus is a porcfest attribute.  But you could follow the bus once it got to Keene.  We have some insiders on the forum that could tell you when and where it will be. 

Since I don't know anything about the geography of the city or anyone in it, I probably should get on the bus rather than try to follow it around.  But I have no problem paying a reasonable cost for the tour if it will help introduce me to the area.  Otherwise I don't have much more than a map and some articles to go by at this point.  I'm not sure if me and my partner are registering for the other events/festival so I will just assume not for now.  Anyway, if anyone can tell me more about meeting up for the bus tour, it would be helpful.  Once we get there and have a chance to look around, we can figure out what is where.  If anyone can recommend a decent motel also, thanks!

-Paul in VA

Russell Kanning

Keene is small and the bus ride was leisurely last year ....

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Puke on May 21, 2008, 02:49 PM NHFT
Speaking of Paul's, what happened to the Paul that just moved here?

I was curious about this as well.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: maulotaur on May 19, 2008, 06:04 PM NHFT
HI all - I just joined the FSP recently and am planning to visit the Keene area in a few weeks to check it out.  From what I have heard & read, it sounds like it may be the place for me and my partner.  I have been where I am for most of my life so it will be a big step to actually get out of here, but I am certainly looking forward to it.  In the past few years here in southeast VA we have gained great things like face-scanning cameras on sidewalks, license-plate photographing at intersections, and city council trying to ban any sort of public gathering  in "their" new town center park.  We also have the state govt wanting all kinds of ridiculous fees like thousands dollars for "speeding" and new tolls on old highways. 

Welcome! ;D

maulotaur

Quote from: Russell Kanning on May 21, 2008, 04:35 PM NHFT
Keene is small and the bus ride was leisurely last year ....

Small compared to where?  I was thinking that Keene was a urban city with a downtown and some amount of sprawl.  I wonder if there is an art district there.  Is it the kind of city that would have an 'alternative' nightclub?  I am vegetarian, would I be able to find good places to eat there?  Is there an infoshop or would anyone know what I was asking about. 

-Paul in VA

Russell Kanning

meaning .... it would not be hard to follow a touring van/bus .... as in if you are in downtown ... you can see all of it at once

srqrebel

Quote from: maulotaur on May 23, 2008, 09:01 AM NHFT
Small compared to where?  I was thinking that Keene was a urban city with a downtown and some amount of sprawl.  I wonder if there is an art district there.  Is it the kind of city that would have an 'alternative' nightclub?  I am vegetarian, would I be able to find good places to eat there?  Is there an infoshop or would anyone know what I was asking about. 

-Paul in VA

Coming from the urban sprawl that is Sarasota/Bradenton, Florida, I consider Keene a small town. It is a remarkably vibrant small town, though -- probably in part because it is a college town.

I am not aware of an actual art district, though downtown Keene does have an artsy feel to it -- again, largely due to college kids' influence. Probably the closest thing to an alternative nightclub would be the Ceilidh House Pub in nearby Westmoreland. I am not a vegetarian, but I get the impression that vegetarian fare -- as well as organic -- is abundant in Keene. It also has a thriving farmer's market, twice weekly.

Russell Kanning

Kat says that place is good.
The salad place on main is awesome too.

William

Don't know about "moving" to the area but definitely checking it out. I'll be in the area (from Arizona) on the 7th and would like to meet with some freestaters. Also, if you could direct me to a nearby campground or rv park that would be great. We'll be staying a few days till porcfest but won't be returning on the bus tour as we'll have already completed our personal bus tour.  ;)