• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I owe the city $1500/month

Started by Quantrill, June 11, 2007, 04:11 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Spencer

I've now figured out why my karma went down by one -- I'm guessing that guy did it to get back at me for speaking out against his attempts to use the government to control other people for his benefit.  Damned statists!  Maybe those lousy workers should complain that he's trying to park where they park their trucks, or lobby to outlaw the ownership of cars by people without driveways.

Rochelle

QuoteBecause if they're parked there, I can't.  Why can I not park in front of my home, just because some business decides to set up their parking lot there?  Isn't there something about life, liberty, and property?  My property, however, doesn't include the street.  That is government-owned.  Should I pull my car into my living room?
Let the air out of their tires. A couple nights of that and they'll park elsewhere ;)

See, independent action wins over government action any day!

guy

I found out that it is indeed a city-wide ban.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: guy on July 18, 2007, 08:26 PM NHFT
Because if they're parked there, I can't.  Why can I not park in front of my home, just because some business decides to set up their parking lot there?  Isn't there something about life, liberty, and property?  My property, however, doesn't include the street.  That is government-owned.  Should I pull my car into my living room?

Have you actually asked the owner of this business, or any of the individual drivers doing it, not to park there?

Try raising a stink with their customers or potential customers, or other people around the neighborhood; losing money is an effective way of persuading a business to behave nicely. Maybe a big This truck is driven by an inconsiderate asshole! sign in your yard directly in front of the spot where their truck is parked.  >:D

Try blocking off one of the parking spots for yourself with traffic cones or something. (Check with the city first to make sure you don't get in trouble for doing this.) People in Boston do this with their residential parking spots, usually during the winter after they've shoveled snow and don't want some freeloader taking their spot the moment they drive off. It actually isn't legal to do this in Boston but it's seldom enforced, and the few times they've made noises about stepping up enforcement, it always seems to get quickly dropped.

And if none of this works... let air out of the tires like someone else suggested... graffiti tag their trucks in the middle of the night with paint that washes off... maybe, um, "decorate" your parking spot with some nails or caltrops after dark...

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: Ogre on June 15, 2007, 07:59 AM NHFT
Okay, since you said that "by the plates it's commercial" -- then I'm assuming that NH has those annoying plate that actually have "commercial" printed on them.

There are "commercial" plates (e.g., you can see them available here), but I have not seen a single vehicle using them. In New Hampshire it seems the standard-issue white van with business stenciling on the side uses normal passenger plates ("apportioned" plates are required on vehicles over 13 tons, though).

WithoutAPaddle

Quote from: Bald Eagle on June 11, 2007, 07:11 PM NHFT...they can have a grand old time trying to extradite me from the Free State, the Republic of New Hampshire. 

For some classes of violation, they don't have to extradite you to make your life miserable.  If you are ticketed for a moving violation in Vermont and you default on it, they can create a Vermont license for you and then suspend it, so when your New Hampshire license is up for renewal, it will not be renewed until the Vermont suspension is lifted.

As my father's sargent used to tell him, "We can't make you do anything, but we can make you wish you had."

KBCraig

Quote from: KBCraig on July 18, 2007, 12:21 AM NHFT
Quote from: d_goddard on July 17, 2007, 10:48 PM NHFT
Quote from: guy on July 17, 2007, 06:58 PM NHFT
is this a city-wide ban?
Easiest way to find out is to call the city clerk's office (the number is earlier in this thread)

Or just go down and see Dale Robinson.

Follow-up:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Official%3a+Man%2c+71%2c+invaded+%27my+space%27&articleId=16116d09-fca5-4b7b-b71c-0b253d075441

Official: Man, 71, invaded 'my space'

By MARK HAYWARD
New Hampshire Union Leader

MANCHESTER – Cleared of wrongdoing in a City Hall fracas, former deputy Police Chief Dale Robinson yesterday detailed the confrontation that led up to him pushing a 71-year-old Manchester man over a $50 parking ticket on July 17.

Robinson said Kenneth Adcock had invaded his personal space, putting his finger about an inch from his eyes and going "belly to belly" with Robinson as he tried to enter a secure area in the Ordinance Violations Bureau.

It was then that Robinson, the supervisor in the office, pushed Adcock, who tripped on his own feet and fell to the floor, Robinson wrote.

"I retreated from this gentleman several times. I stop him from committing a criminal trespass into our office and protect my office staff," Robinson wrote in comments sent to UnionLeader.com.

"I think most people if they had someone towering over them ... and pushing them several times might have reacted differently," said Robinson, who is 60.

A reporter left a message on Adcock's telephone answering machine, but it was not returned last night.

On Thursday, Manchester police released results of the investigation of the incident.

Police said no charges are expected against Adcock and Robinson acted appropriately, given the circumstances. Hillsborough County Attorney Marguerite Wageling, who reviewed the investigation, said the matter did not rise to the level of a crime.

Robinson submitted a lengthy written explanation to UnionLeader.com yesterday after several people submitted comments critical of his actions. Others criticized the fact Manchester police investigated a former fellow police officer.

"I'm dumbfounded. What do people expect me to do?" Robinson said in a brief interview yesterday. "I'm the one that kept backing down. I'm the one that kept retreating."

In his comments, Robinson said Adcock is 6 feet 2 inches or 6 feet 3 inches tall. He said Adcock paid the parking ticket, then asked to see the ordinance that prohibited parking on a sidewalk.

Robinson said the man eventually invaded his space. Robinson said he walked backward and told Adcock he could take the ticket to court.

Robinson then returned to his inner office, but Adcock went to the back door and started yelling at an Ordinance Violations employee. Robinson said he opened the door and attempted to give the man his business card. Adcock kept blocking Robinson from shutting the door and continued trying to enter the office, Robinson wrote.

In the interview, Robinson said Adcock never pushed him with his arms, but made "belly to belly" body contact.

"He was definitely in my space. He tried to force his way into my office," Robinson said.

Robinson said he pushed Adcock back and told him three or four times to get away from the door and not push him. Robinson said he told an office worker to call police. When Adcock blocked the door again, Robinson pushed him, and he fell backward.

Adcock left City Hall in an ambulance and was treated at Catholic Medical Center.

penguins4me

QuoteRobinson said he pushed Adcock back and told him three or four times to get away from the door and not push him.

So, he pushed and didn't push. @.@

I wonder if this guy had any beef with Humpty Dumpty...