• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I want to move to Northern NH

Started by Fragilityh14, June 04, 2007, 08:14 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Fragilityh14

For whatever reason...and I think it may be because I don't fancy myself an "East Coaster" (being from Washington and all) I would much rather live in Northern New Hampshire than in the south, even if that is largely "where the action is"

I would also very much like to work on a farm of some sort...

anyway, I know that that area is showing a negative population growth...so I dont know if there are people there trying particularly hard to rent out houses/find employees for their businesses, but if anyone knows anything about people trying to recruit Porcupines to move to the north, I would love information on it...

Kat Kanning

KBCraig

Welcome to the forum!

I'm also drawn to the northern part of the state. We'd love to settle in Lancaster.

It's a different world north of the Notches. In many ways, it's a step back in time. There are farms there, but no big agricultural concerns other than tree farming. Ever done any logging?

Kevin

Fragilityh14

I have never done logging, but my stepdad's Mom grew up in logging camps. (So, I have heard various stories about logging over and over again).

I was kind of wondering if there were people with small organic farms, specialty dairies etc, that might need someone. I really love to garden, and would be extremely excited about working in agriculture.

I would actually be surprisingly interested in logging if it was my ticket up there: I am not a particularly strong person though. The thing is, I am not opposed to labor as a concept, I just want to be doing something where I am building skills and feel like I am doing it for a reason besides to take home a check. (So, for working at a farm: because I run out of things to do in my garden). I'm guessing the logging up there is really sustainable being as they are still logging after all these years?

And, as far as how far north...well, where ever, but Coos County just looks really cool...I mean anywhere but the East Coast Super City part of NH (I currently live on the I5 super city, though not in a particularly urban part but still far too much.)

Basically, I grew up in a rural area often wishing to be in an urban and hip sort of place, and having spent some time in the urban part of Washington instead of the rural part...it's the last thing I want.

anyway, I'm certainly not averse to doing hard work and actually getting stronger and more in shape and in more of a position to generally be a harder worker, I just dislike working hard for almost nothing and then still being stressed about not having enough money and needing to work more...

KBCraig

To get a taste of the place, I suggest reading two sister newspapers: Colebrook Chronicle and Lancaster Herald. Both are published on Friday and distributed free, including a free .pdf version online. There are definitely small scale farms there, and some of them might very well hire occasional labor.

http://www.colebrookchronicle.com

(Warning, they're pretty big files.)

Fragilityh14

I'm talking to someone over craigslist about getting a summer job in Lincoln

KBCraig

Quote from: Fragilityh14 on June 05, 2007, 05:34 PM NHFT
I'm talking to someone over craigslist about getting a summer job in Lincoln

That's about as far north as you can get without being in "northern" NH, so it's a good jumping-off point. Plus, since it's on I-93, it has good access to the southern part of the state.

Lex

Grafton, NH may not be as far North as you're looking but there are a few freestaters here and it's a nice place. There are a bunch of farms around here.

aries

It's very different from the rest of the state.

If you can find a job or work from home it's a great area. I like the colebrook area / northern Coos county better than southern Coos county or around Berlin.