• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I've got the blues...

Started by Crocuta, June 07, 2007, 01:19 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Crocuta

Well, my timeframe for moving to the Free State just went from "maybe a really long time" to "possibly never".  We were getting everything slowly arranged and dealing with all the family and economic mess, slowly eliminating one thing at a time, but we were making progress.  I finally got title to the house so we would be able to sell it, and the bloody IRS slapped a combined $80,000 in federal tax leins against it.  Nothing that we owe, naturally.  They just decided that it was a good target to persecute a family member.  So now we get most of the family and economic problems back in spades and I get to look forward to court fights to get them to remove the leins.  Can't sell it or get a mortgage with federal tax leins in place.  Not that I anticipate them actually removing the liens just because I show them that it doesn't have anything to do with me.  They are a law unto themselves.

Meanwhile, since I can't do either of those things, I can't get what I need to pay off our high interest debt.  I can't even move out of this house and into a rental now, much less move out of state.

I may have to stop reading NH forums for a while.  It's just too depressing to read about other people making the move and living the dream.  :'(

If I ever get personal freedom, I am NEVER getting myself this tied up economically again.

Ever see the backwoods hiking philosophy that says "Leave no trace"?  That seems like a good life philosophy too....

KBCraig

:(

Man, I feel for you. And I understand about the IRS stuff. We had something similar happen, where one family member had a payment plan worked out with IRS for some back business taxes. A different IRS goon comes along, does some searching, and *bam*, seizes all the IRA and CD accounts of another family member.

In the rural South, it's common to add a trusted family member as signatory to bank accounts, so they can "take care of things if something happens", and avoid probate when there's a death. It's understood that the signatory doesn't have any right to the money, and probably has no idea how much is there. For instance, until this incident, my sister and I had been joint on all my parents' accounts since we were teenagers.

No more. All it takes is one IRS goon searching for all bank accounts listing a certain SSN. "Ah-HA! You were hiding your assets in that other account, so we're going to seize it!" Never mind that person had never made a single deposit or withdrawal, and had no idea how much money was in the account, because it wasn't their money!  >:(

Best wishes to you, Crocuta. I hope it works out.

Kevin

Kat Kanning

Wow, that sucks!  Anything we can do to help?