• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Civil Disobedience

Started by Michael Fisher, April 11, 2005, 12:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

I just finished watching the movie Gandhi last night and am truly inspired more than ever before to throw a wrench into this system.

Alright, guys and girls, I wanna do some civil disobedience, but need some ideas.

Requirements:
-MUST be peaceful, non-violent, non-cooperation.
-MUST violate a blatantly unjust law (especially laws which discriminate based on race, sex, age, nationality, etc.).
-MUST attract at least 50 people, including the police and the press.
-MUST cause an immediate, severe response by the police.

[The plan so far...added by Kat for the calendar]
I don't think we'll be arrested unless this is done on Monday.  We need to do what we can to guarantee an immediate reaction.  I'll do everything in my power to bring as many people as I can to the event but I really need help with publicity otherwise the media will not pay attention to our arrests.

It's probably a good idea to announce it as a civil disobedience.  We are fighting against these laws because they have destroyed our freedom to make a living without government approval.

Please feel free to bring your friends, family, anti-licensing signs, cameras, and a positive attitude!  Smiley

When:  Monday, May 9, at 12:00pm (noon).  We will preferably begin services when the police arrive.

Where:  NH Board of Cosmetology.  2 Industrial Park Drive, Concord, NH  03301

What:  Haircuts, massages, and manicures.  Shampoos if possible, but we will need a source of warm water and a way to drain used water.  We will be accepting cash payment, with tips, for these services.  Free services do not violate the law.

Directions to the Board of Cosmetology:

FROM THE SEACOAST

VIA RTE 4,9,202

AFTER THE WEATHERVANE RESTAURANT, THE ROAD SPLITS- RTE 4 IS TO THE RIGHT WITH 393, RTE 9 IS STRAIGHT AHEAD.  STAY STRAIGHT ON ROUTE 9 OVERHEAD SIGN SAYS CONCORD BUSINESS DISTRICT, CONCORD HEIGHTS

AT LIGHTS, TAKE A LEFT ONTO RTE 106 SOUTH.  AT THE 3RD SET OF LIGHTS TAKE A RIGHT ONTO PEMBROKE RD.  TAKE THE SECOND LEFT DOWN BETWEEN TWO LONG INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS.  WE ARE THREE QUARTERS OF THE WAY DOWN ON THE RIGHT.
THERE IS A SIGN NEXT TO OUR DOOR.

OR

RTE 101 WEST TO MANCHESTER TO 93 NORTH
or 89 SOUTH to 93 NORTH

FROM 93 NORTH OR SOUTH
TAKE EXIT 15E THAT PUTS YOU ONTO 393E GO TO EXIT 3. AT THE END OF THE RAMP BEAR TO THE RIGHT.  THAT PUTS YOU ONTO RTE 106S GO TO THE 4TH SET OF LIGHTS AND TAKE A RIGHT ONTO PEMBROKE RD.  TAKE THE SECOND LEFT DOWN BETWEEN TWO LONG INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS.  WE ARE THREE QUARTERS OF THE WAY DOWN ON THE RIGHT.

Kat Kanning

Aha, now you know what happened to us!

Michael Fisher

Quote from: katdillon on April 11, 2005, 12:15 PM NHFT
Aha, now you know what happened to us!

Apparently.? :)

Idea:

-Publicly set a time and place to sell alcohol to anyone 18-20 years old.

Michael Fisher

Idea:

-Publicly set a time and place to burn $1 bills.

From what I hear, this is against the law.? This will help us promote recognition of Gresham's Law and protest against fiat currency laws and the Federal Reserve.

Michael Fisher

Idea:

-Publicly set a time and place to sell manicures, pedicures, haircuts, and other cosmetological services without a license.

List of Licensed Occupations in New Hampshire
http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/licertreg.htm

New Hampshire Board of Barbering, Cosmetology, and Esthetics
http://www.state.nh.us/cosmet/

This would be pretty fun actually.? :)? Here's all the stuff we could do:

Manicurist:? Clean, shape, and polish customers' fingernails and toenails, and remove previously applied nail polish, using liquid remover and swabs. Shape and smooth ends of nails, using scissors and files. Clean customers' nails. Polish nails, using powdered polish and buffer, or apply clear or colored liquid polish onto nails with brush.

Cosmetology:? Help people look attractive by giving shampoos, cutting and styling hair and giving advice on hair care. Straighten, curl, bleach, or dye hair. Give manicures and facials, advise on the use of makeup, and clean and style wigs and hairpieces.

Barber:? Cut, trim, and style hair. May also color or straighten hair and fit hairpieces. Many barbers offer other services such as hair and scalp treatments, face massages, shaves, and shampoos.

Esthetician:? Provides beauty services for customers. Give facials, apply makeup, give therapeutic skin care treatments, remove superfluous hair, and apply eyelashes.

Massage Practitioner:  Massage clients and administer other body conditioning treatments to promote, maintain, or restore health and well-being.

If we do this, we'll need to make sure we take all the necessary safety precautions, and preferably know what we're doing.? ;)

FTL_Ian

I love your energy, LR6.  This is very exciting, and I can't wait to announce whatever you decide on Free Talk Live.

I'd be real wary of the burning $1 bills one, that will raise the ire of the Secret Service.  If you're going to be arrested, better they keep you in NH in a jail we know about, instead of packing you into some private plane and taking you to who knows where.

Stick with violating an NH law for now untill you have 50 people willing to burn bills all at once.

Dave Ridley

These ideas sound interesting...I think I like the liquor sale idea best so far, since it would draw in young folks of whom we have a deficit.  but maybe it's not innocuous enough.  The shampoo wash might be more likely to generate support.

Russell Kanning

I like the selling alcohol idea and the burning dollars thing. 8)
I bet if everyone on this list read Civil Disobedience and watched the Gandhi movie....we would have a dozen more crazy activists like Mike Fisher and myself.
I have a few more days to decide what I am going to do otherwise I will never get started. We have to act .... not wait for our numbers to be high enough. We can always keep putting off action.

Russell Kanning

Is it really illegal to burn your own money?

Kat Kanning

A cadre of liberty ladies going to a nursing home and, in defiance of the law, shampooing the old ladies hair for them.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: russellkanning on April 11, 2005, 08:15 PM NHFT
Is it really illegal to burn your own money?

Yes, and technically, it's the FED's money that you're holding.  By burning it, you're effectively setting $1 of the national debt on fire.  I don't think we're ready to take on the Secret Service quite yet!   :o :o

Michael Fisher

We want a government response.? Here's how I rank these by the severity and likelihood of the government's response:

Selling alcohol to adults ages 18-20:? Very High
Burning $1's:? Medium to High
Publicly violating professional esthetics licensing laws:? Medium to Low

Selling alcohol is the highest risk, highest return idea we have to go with so far.? We'll be arrested for violating liquor licensing laws, selling to "minors", and probably a host of other laws.

Any other ideas?

Michael Fisher

Idea:

-Publicly perform letter-delivery which directly competes with the US Postal Service.

Risk:? Low.

-Actually deliver letters into mailboxes.

Risk:? Medium to High

From what I hear, this was banned in 1825, but I cannot find the actual law anywhere.? The risk of being arrested for this is very low unless we actually put something in someone's mailbox, in which case the risk is medium to high.? I've heard that such action would be a federal offense.

Michael Fisher

Idea:

-When passports are required to travel to Canada, we can organize a public passport burning.

It is likely that passports will soon be required to travel to Canada.  Passports are usually the property of the issuing government, not the citizen.? High risk, potential for a very large effect.? This is almost exactly how Gandhi started out.? In South Africa, he organized a public burning of ID papers that were only required for non-whites.

Risk:? High

Michael Fisher

Here are some government monopolies we can target.? Maybe this will help us come up with more ideas.

Current US and NH Government Monopolies:
-Public schools.
-Postal services.? (http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=913)
-Lotteries.
-Currencies.
-Roads.
-Alcohol sales.? (Except wine and beer.)
-and many more.

Did you know...
-In British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Quebec, the government has a monopoly on auto insurance.
-The US government heavily regulates the insurance industry.? Significant price controls are in place, a de facto monopoly.