• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Civil Disobedience

Started by Michael Fisher, April 11, 2005, 12:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

OK with regard to the idea of a mass manicure...here are some pros and cons that ran through my mind about it.

Pro: 

Of all the ideas I've heard, it follows most closely the historical precedent set by Gandhi's followers during the "salt rebellion."  Gandhi made salt, then a bunch of his supporters did the same.

It would build on the current momentum Mike has generated, giving a sense of snowballing.

It should be easy to generate pre-publicity

This has proven to be an issue that resonates with the public and media

Con:

A follow up protest would require quite a few people to be really successful, ideally five or more willing to do what Mike did and able to show up that day.

If turnout at the follow up protest is less than at the original; that would be a problem.

Not sure what we would do *after* such a mass protest

It takes time to change the law, even if everyone in the legislature wanted to.  So we probably could not expect to see quick change as a result of this second protest

It tends to lock us into a fight against one bad law rather than making the point that we are against all kinds of bad laws

Normally I tend to like the idea of a "war of movement" better than sending all your troops to defend a position you've occupied.   Would it be more effective to have one person disobey a totally different law?

Not sure....

Overall I think maybe the pros outweigh the cons a bit.

mvpel

A big thank you to Varrin for providing the fodder for my letter to the editor published in today's Union-Leader!

Kat Kanning

Amethyste

Quote from: katdillon on May 12, 2005, 06:33 AM NHFT
BTW, did you know Varrin's wife is not allowed to put makeup on other people (she runs a Mary Kay business) without a cosmetology license/degree?? Absurd!

Yeah! At my work, they wanted me to start putting on people make-up to increase THEIR product sales... I am no fool. I said no way! I dont want to pay a fine and lose my manicurist license. Besides, I don't have a clue on how to apply make-up, they would have looked like Krusty the Clown in the end...

I want to BET you $100 that the ladies at the make-up counters in the big stores like Penneys or Sears DO NOT have a license. It's funny, though, they still apply make up and spray us with perfumes until we look and smell like french whores!

-=Amethyste

mvpel

Hey hey!  After three open-heart surgeries and a pacemaker... This ain't makeup!!

mvpel

Quote from: Amethyste on May 12, 2005, 08:53 AM NHFT It's funny, though, they still apply make up and spray us with perfumes until we look and smell like french whores!

Tsk!  Watch what you say about French Whores, honey![/b]

Russell Kanning

Thanks for the info Mike....I had wondered what the cops were thinking.

So what did the cosmo board do and say?

What was it like for your one day in jail? I might be there soon.

mvpel

Here's the text of my LTE published today in the Union-Leader:

===
To the Editor, for publication:

Under New Hampshire law, to become a licensed manicurist requires 300 hours of coursework at a government-approved school, and passing a government-administered practical and written exam.  Becoming a licensed barber or cosmetologist requires 1,500 hours of coursework and 3,000 hours of apprenticeship within 18 months.

Under FAA regulations to obtain a a Private Pilot license, 40 hours total flight time are required, or 35 hours if you go to an approved flight school.  Twenty  of those hours must be flown with an instructor.  You must also pass the private pilot written exam, for which there is no minimum amount of classroom instruction - you can do it entirely through independent study.

Demanding 300 hours of classes to be licensed to trim & polish fingernails, or 1,500 hours to be licensed to trim hair or apply makeup; versus 40 hours plus enough study to pass an exam to fly an airplane.

Does this make sense to anyone except the Board of Cosmetology?
===

JonM

Oh that so rules.  Good work mvpel, just wish they published LTEs online.

Russell Kanning

GT

Contact information:

New Hampshire Board of Barbering, Cosmetology, and Esthetics
http://www.state.nh.us/cosmet/

Board Member Contacts
http://www.state.nh.us/cosmet/bdmem.html

List of State Approved Tanning Training Facilities (None of them are located in New Hampshire)
http://www.state.nh.us/cosmet/documents/ApprovedListofTrainingCoursesContacts.pdf

Michael Fisher

Quote from: mvpel on May 12, 2005, 09:14 AM NHFT
Demanding 300 hours of classes to be licensed to trim & polish fingernails, or 1,500 hours to be licensed to trim hair or apply makeup; versus 40 hours plus enough study to pass an exam to fly an airplane.

Does this make sense to anyone except the Board of Cosmetology?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!

Kat Kanning

BTW, here is what Varrin said about the liberator online article:

"I believe Liberator Online is the largest circulation
email list of pro-liberty people in the world.  I considered at one
time buying advertisements in here for the FSP.  This article is worth at
least a handful of ads (maybe more)... that's hundreds of dollars worth."

I'm loving the unintended consequences of what Mike did :)

davemincin

Quote from: katdillon on May 12, 2005, 10:10 AM NHFT
BTW, here is what Varrin said about the liberator online article:

I'm loving the unintended consequences of what Mike did :)

While I hesitate to speak for Mike, do not believe the national press, as well as the positive attention brought to the FSP was an unintended consequence, but part of the plan.

My personal believe is you folks are the best thing to FSP has going for it!  Our activity offers hope for freedom, and the more we do, and the more folks hear about we are doing, the more folks will consider joining us.  Consider all the super NH folks who have
helped in our efforts.

It's not nuclear science, just getting the word out, and heads up to you Mike for your effort, but would be remiss to not also thank all the folks who showed up in support.

Just hoping the folks keep comming, because we sure as hell can use there help! :)

Kat Kanning