• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Civil Disobedience

Started by Michael Fisher, April 11, 2005, 12:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Hey, ignorance of the law is no excuse!  Why aren't you spending hours per day reading the tomes of law that apply to zoning, for instance?  Aren't you a good citizen?  A good citizen knows the law.  Now get reading, boy!

>:D

Michael Fisher

Quote from: president on May 13, 2005, 09:23 PM NHFT
I know, but when you plead guilty, you saying that you are guilty, you give up your right to a trial, and you are willing to take the maximum punishment.

You are 100% correct.  The sentence initially shocked me so I considered my legal options.  I spoke with that reporter less than an hour after the sentence was read and I was still in shock.

But sticking to the principle of honesty is what I'm going to do.  I did this on purpose in order to take the state's punishment willingly.  There is no reason to fight against the result because this is self-inflicted suffering.

There is no reason to fast because of my punishment either.  The only reason I will fast upon triggering my 30-day sentence is because it would be too much to bear, and I have only myself to blame for it.

Michael Fisher

Strike the Root wants me to write an article for them about civil disobedience!!!   :o :)

Dave Ridley

This following draft press release is very time sensitive:
I'm working today and can't finish or distribute or get clearance from mike for this press release. can someone  complete those steps for me?

---- 

Outlaw manicurist says he'll fast if jailed

Remaining both polite and uncompromising, New Hampshire's "outlaw manicurist" is responding to his harsh sentence with a page straight out of the movie "Gandhi."

Mike Fisher, 23, of Newmarket was arrested last week for performing an unlicensed "protest manicure" in front of the state licensing office.

He is attempting to draw attention to the issue of business licensing, arguing that it is an unnecessary barrier to entry for startup entrepreneurs.   After refusing to pay a $30 bail fee, Fisher spent one night in ___ (Merrimack County Jail?) and received a 30 day suspended sentence from Judge ____ (which judge was it?)

Authorities vow to "unsuspend" the sentence if Mike so much as gets a traffic ticket during the next 12 months.  Fisher says that weighed heavily on his mind...at first.

"I've figured out what I'm going to do," he announced Friday on the state's most active web forum (NHfree.com)
"I'm going to fast if my 30-day jail sentence is triggered."

Fisher, weighing in at less than 115 pounds, admits it is unlikely he would be able to go without food for the entire sentence.  But he's indicated the fast would be "prolonged."  Quoting Gandhi, Fisher says the act would not be a protest, merely the most appropriate response to imprisonment.

" 'Whenever there is distress which one cannot remove, one must fast and pray.' "

Contacts:  Kat Dillon (603) 357-2049, backup: Dave Ridley (603) 721-1490.  Mike himself can be reached at (603) _____

----

Pat K

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on May 14, 2005, 08:52 AM NHFT
Strike the Root wants me to write an article for them about civil disobedience!!!? ?:o :)

Very good!! :)

Dave Ridley

ethan yes there is something you can do to pitch in from out of state. Or anywhere.   I think it is a lot of fun, and it has proven effective:

check out

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=804.0

and follow the instructions there if you want to have a real effect from a distance.

There are other things you can do to help the NHLA with research of course but I"m no expert on that....just head to nhliberty.org and let them know your avalailable.

Dave Ridley

Sorry if my actions and posts are a little out of sync with mike's requests on this thread....I haven't been on the net much for the last two days and was acting without having read mike's not-so-fast message and what not.   I'll defer to Mike as to whether that press release is ok to send out and/or should be changed.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: DadaOrwell on May 15, 2005, 07:51 AM NHFT
Sorry if my actions and posts are a little out of sync with mike's requests on this thread....I haven't been on the net much for the last two days and was acting without having read mike's not-so-fast message and what not.? ?I'll defer to Mike as to whether that press release is ok to send out and/or should be changed.

Definitely send this out if and when I'm in jail for 30 days, but it is not going to be relevant until then.

Michael Fisher

We need some people to write LTEs in response to today's Foster's Daily Statist article.   ::)

I'm busy today, sorry.

Russell Kanning

I don't get the Fosters paper delivered.....they are a little too STATIST for me......what did they say?

Kat Kanning

It was too ugly for your tender little eyes, dear.

KBCraig

Quote from: russellkanning on May 15, 2005, 10:31 AM NHFT
I don't get the Fosters paper delivered.....they are a little too STATIST for me......what did they say?

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050515/NEWS13/105140017

And THEY want to say someone missed the point?

Kevin

Russell Kanning

So should we all just start ignoring this paper?

AlanM

Quote from: russellkanning on May 15, 2005, 12:28 PM NHFT
So should we all just start ignoring this paper?

Not ignoring, but rather, not buying.  >:D
It's good to pay attention to what the opposition is up to. What they are saying, opposing, promoting.

Dave Ridley

Not sure if it is worth the trouble to write Fosters...I hear they reject stuff from conservatives and liberty types. If I'm wrong someone let me know; I'm trying to track which papers print our LTEs most consistently. 

Seems like they made most of Mike's points for him, however, just like the bureaucrats did....and any LTE from me would thank them LOL.  I'd write one if I thought it would print.