• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Civil Disobedience

Started by Michael Fisher, April 11, 2005, 12:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

Quote from: FTL_Ian on May 26, 2005, 09:58 PM NHFT
No, what we need is a mass smoke out on the capitol steps.? Medical users, recreational users, first timers...? ;D

This would be amazing.

They'd crack down on you so fast and so hard that in some states you would be beaten by the police in public.

The Drug War is worldwide, but the end of this war can begin with only one person if necessary.  The difference between a normal drug bust and a civil disobedience arrest is enormous.  You are declaring to the government that you're going to do what you want, harming no one, and no law can stop you.

This would significantly increase public support for ending the drug war, although the opposition would still be enormous.

Michael Fisher

Because of today's Total Police State, people visualize drug users as secret back-alley crackfiends.

Imagine what will happen when a bunch of well-dressed everyday people walk up to the steps of the State Capitol and smoke marijuana, regardless of the instant arrest that will occur.

The public's visualization of drug users will change.  They will realize that these are everyday people that are not hurting anyone.  The government's brutality will finally be apparent to those who have closed their eyes to it for so many years.

This is definitely something that must be done.

Michael Fisher

Here's my article for the Newmarket Business Association's quarterly newsletter.  I could not condense the article any further without sacrificing crucial information.

'Outlaw Manicurist' Defies State Licensing Laws

Concord, NH, May 9, 2005 - Michael Fisher, 23, of Newmarket, who said he was inspired by the movie "Gandhi", was arrested outside the state licensing offices in Concord on May 9th and jailed overnight for selling a manicure without a license, a criminal misdemeanor.  A lawsuit to prevent Fisher's act filed by the state Attorney General's office was unilaterally withdrawn days before the event.

The purpose of Fisher's act of civil disobedience was to call attention to the hardship caused by what he believes are unnecessary and harmful regulations which hurt entrepreneurs and entry-level workers in many industries.  In his letter of intention to the state licensing board, Fisher wrote, "All that is necessary to protect responsible consumers in a free society is the natural system of professional reputations and optional private sector certifications."  "In a free country, people do not need permission to start a business."

Fisher was arrested, refused to pay bail, and was held overnight in Merrimack County jail.  He pled guilty "to help get the message out there" and received a 30-day suspended jail sentence that can be triggered within a year by a single traffic ticket.  His event resulted in heavy statewide media coverage of licensing regulations.

Michael Fisher

The New Zealand Herald
Police Arrest Man For Giving Manicure
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=466&ObjectID=10127476

The Wire NH
under the dome
http://www.wirenh.com/stories/2023

"After last week's arrest of rogue manicurist and Free Stater Michael Fisher for giving out unlicensed nail jobs in Concord, state lawmakers continue their assault against errant estheticians on Wednesday when the Senate Public and Municipal Affairs Committee will meet to discuss HB 239, which would require shampoo assistants to receive a license from the state's Board of Barbering, Cosmetology and Esthetics. This means anyone who shampoos, rinses treated or untreated hair, or performs "other cleaning or sink related functions" for a living will have to shell out $20 to the state for a license. The Cosmetology Board expects the licenses to net the state almost $2,500 in revenue the first year the law is in effect. Fisher was giving an illegal manicure to a fellow Free Stater in front of the offices of the Board of Barbering, Cosmetology and Esthetics in protest of licensing requirements by the state."

Freedom1776 from Monterey County, California
Man Arrested for Manicuring Without a License
http://www.freedom1776.com/news/manicuring.htm

John Stark Review
CLIP FREE OR DIE
http://www.johnstarkreview.com/archives/2005/05/

"Does government regulation protect the consumer better than market forces? Michael Fisher, who was arrested last week for giving a manicure without first obtaining a license from the Board of Barbering, Cosmetology and Esthetics, doesn?t think so.

Fisher, who moved to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project, wanted to draw attention to the licensing law, which he believes reduces competition without providing any commensurate benefit to the consumer. He said it took him only 30 minutes to learn sanitary manicure procedures from the internet. As opposed to the 300 hours of training the Board believes is necessary for a license, at a school approved by the Board.

A common justification for government regulation is that consumers aren?t sophisticated enough to protect themselves from businesses that would provide dangerous products or services to maximize their profits. But the profit motive has just the opposite effect.

A manicurist who cuts off fingertips is not going to develop a faithful clientele. It is in his self-interest to provide a service that will result in continued patronage. As Adam Smith wrote in Wealth of Nations, ?It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.?

In contrast, the consumer is not served when a manicurist sitting on the state Board acts in his self-interest. In that capacity, his self-interest is to erect as high a barrier to entry as possible in order shut out competitors who might offer better or less expensive manicures. As a result, the regulations he will support have much less to do with health and safety than with protecting himself from competition. By law, the state Board consists of a licensed barber, licensed cosmetologist, licensed esthetician, licensed manicurist, licensed cosmetology school owner, an owner of a registered tanning facility and one public member.

While consumers are free to not patronize manicurists who sever digits, they are powerless to prevent the Board from issuing regulations designed to prevent competition and to bolster attendance in cosmetology schools. Gubernatorial elections are decided on issues such as education and taxes, not appointments to state agencies that most people may not even know exist.

But what about the poor consumer who has his fingertip severed by an avaricious manicurist? Isn?t it small consolation to him that market forces will protect other consumers from the same fate, and isn?t that why we need government regulation?

Licensing is not more of a guarantee against rip-off artists than market forces, however, because attending cosmetology school will not change a person?s character. Moreover, consumers would be more apt to check out businesses before patronizing them in the absence of licensing because regulation creates a false sense of security.

Licensing also is no guarantee against accidents and mistakes. While in theory compelling 300 hours of training may result in safer manicures, there is no empirical evidence that this theoretical benefit outweighs the higher costs to the consumer resulting from reduced competition and higher barriers to entry.

And even if licensing could be shown to reduce accidents or mistakes, what about the principle that what goes on between two consenting adults is none of the government?s business? Why should it just apply to s*x? Shouldn?t one be able to put his digits in the hands of an unlicensed manicurist, if that is what he wants to do?

While economic liberty may not matter much to the cultural elites, it matters quite a bit to those who are still climbing the economic ladder. Especially those with little capital and education. Unreasonable licensing laws prevent these people from climbing the economic ladder because it puts the bottom rungs out of reach.

If the Legislature and Governor really want to help working people, instead of raising the minimum wage, which is a hidden tax on business, they should repeal unreasonable regulations that make it harder for working people to realize the American dream and that hurt consumers."

Kat Kanning

Wow, they're talking about it in New Zealand?

Michael Fisher

Here's a picture Lexi Keyes drew for me at our May 23rd Meet and Greet at the Keyes' home.? Margot told me Lexi gave it to her and said "Mommy, here's a picture of the nice man that was in jail."  :'(? :)

Kat Kanning

Aww :)

Is it showing you with long manicured fingernails?

Russell Kanning

I think those are hooks.....and I like the dress......but at least he is smiling.

davemincin

Wow...That Lexi sure is a talented young Lass.  That looks just like you Mike! :D

Pat McCotter

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on May 29, 2005, 10:55 AM NHFT
The New Zealand Herald
Police Arrest Man For Giving Manicure
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=466&ObjectID=10127476

I like the shopping bag in the picture with this article:

[attachment deleted by admin]

davemincin

Foster's today.  Sounds like one of those invaders from MA! ;)

Monday, May 30, 2005
Letters to the Editor - 5/30/05

Silly event was not worth covering
To the editor:

Foster's has covered a silly event while ignoring news of substance by placing a so-called Free Stater with an emery board on the front page while ignoring the 5,500 service men and women who have refused to go to Iraq or Afghanistan.

One wonders where these Free Staters were during the debates about Terry Schiavo and the Patriot Act. Where were they and where is Foster's during the upcoming trials of Kevin Benderman, who has already served once in Iraq, and Pablo Paredes? These men face courts martial and prison time for being men of conscience and refusing their call-ups.

This symbolic action by the Free Stater highlights the fact that they care more about the effect of government regulation on business than personal freedom. I doubt that Free Stater has ever been in a nail salon. I have, once, and observed the high level of hygiene practiced there. Existing regulations are meant to insure that the 1,000 salons in the state have manicurists who disinfect cutting tools between clients so as not to spread nail fungus, AIDS or any other infectious disease.

The last time the Free Staters got this much buzz was when the hummer-driving former Gov. Craig Benson Benson welcomed their invasion of the state.

Foster's is shirking its duty to cover all the news about the war in Iraq. Some are distracted by stories such as this one that you put on the front page, but most are not.

We are waiting for the media to cease this yellow journalism and bring us the stories that will help us engage in the reasoned debate that makes a strong democracy.

Pat Frisella
Farmington

Michael Fisher

Pat obviously does not realize that I organized anti-war protests in Burlington, VT before the war even began.

Besides, they probably covered Iraq on the front page the other 364 days out of the last year.? It's nice to read something about our own country, and even our own state, for a change.

QuoteThis symbolic action by the Free Stater highlights the fact that they care more about the effect of government regulation on business than personal freedom.

Pat will eat his or her own words after Russell's event.

War is a great diversion for the state to trample all over our freedom.  This person proves it.

Russell Kanning

If we would have commented on the Sciavo case....they would have told us to keep out.

How was Mike's think not about personal freedoms? My wife got robbed of a manicure by the cops!

Kat Kanning

I only got 20 cents worth of that dollar I paid!   :o

I bet Mike has spent plenty of time in a nail salon.

Michael Fisher

I must have missed this one:

Exeter Newsletter
May 24, 2005

Man should reimburse state and local agencies
To the Editor:

I am glad Mike Fisher has decided he is satisfied he made his point and no further action is necessary. I have a further action for you - Mike - how about reimbursing the state and local agencies that expended money and manpower for you to play your game?

With all this recent discussion about immigration, too bad we can?t deport people back to Vermont.

Chris Carr
Newmarket

Perhaps if people weren't arrested and imprisoned for filing fingernails, the state wouldn't need to spend any money on licensing, inspection, and enforcement.? There's a novel idea.? Why didn't I think of that before?? ?;D

If you don't think people should be arrested for giving a manicure, then eliminate the licensing laws.