• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Civil Disobedience

Started by Michael Fisher, April 11, 2005, 12:01 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

seth wrote:

<< We might disagree on specifics... in fact, we probably DO disagree on some specifics... but we'll all here working in the same direction for the most part.>>

very cool seth :) yeah isn't that interesting...how roles switch...I am usually the voice of conciliation and wasn't even exactly a libertarian when I signed on but now I'm in the radical branch of a radical bunch.   Important thing is we don't lose sight of the common goal and the ways we can take advantage of the things each other are doing.    if we fight too much we are just making true the predictions of those who say freedom lovers can't work together.

Michael Fisher

Update on May 9th civil disobedience event:

I received a very positive call tonight about the event.

Apparently, a significant number of lawmakers and lobbyists have approached a certain liberty-oriented person in Concord regarding my arrest.? They are sympathetic to the cause and could not believe there are such laws on the books.

There is a plan to introduce a bill in September to create a commission to review business licensing laws and similar unjust regulations.

I told this person that I would not be willing or qualified to talk about licensing regulations, but I could help by giving this person some talking points.

I wonder if this really might go somewhere.? ?:)

Pat K

AlanM

This sounds hopeful. Every step in the right direction helps us achieve our goals.

Dreepa

Quote from: DadaOrwell on June 09, 2005, 09:52 PM NHFT
seth wrote:

<< We might disagree on specifics... in fact, we probably DO disagree on some specifics... but we'll all here working in the same direction for the most part.>>

very cool seth :) yeah isn't that interesting...how roles switch...I am usually the voice of conciliation and wasn't even exactly a libertarian when I signed on but now I'm in the radical branch of a radical bunch.? ?Important thing is we don't lose sight of the common goal and the ways we can take advantage of the things each other are doing.? ? if we fight too much we are just making true the predictions of those who say freedom lovers can't work together.

Yeah my friends and wife think that I am a radical but compared to most of the people here I am super conservative.

KBCraig

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on June 09, 2005, 10:51 PM NHFT
I told this person that I would not be willing or qualified to talk about licensing regulations, but I could help by giving this person some talking points.

I wonder if this really might go somewhere.   :)

But you are qualified to talk about licensing regulations. You proved that in Concord!

Talking points are the essence of the argument against licensing laws. Such laws do not protect consumers from malpractice. They harm consumers by limiting choice. They raise prices by limiting competition and increasing overhead. They harm business by restricting potential competitors. They empower state bureaucracy to engage in petty recrimination. They place those with conflicts of interest in a position to personally benefit from the regulations they impose.

You've spent two days in jail, and face another 30 days should you suffer a burned-out tail light in the coming year. All that for performing a simple file-and-buff, that millions of people do for themselves every day. It would be the same if you'd shampooed her hair, as almost everyone in America over the age of 10 does for theirself every single day of the week. And if Kat had worn shorts and a tank top, and you had shined a black light at her, even though she was already in the sunshine, you could have suffered the same penalty.

Mike, who BETTER to speak about licensing laws?

Take them up on it! Keep the initiative going!

Kevin

jgmaynard

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on June 09, 2005, 10:51 PM NHFT
Apparently, a significant number of lawmakers and lobbyists have approached a certain liberty-oriented person in Concord regarding my arrest.? They are sympathetic to the cause and could not believe there are such laws on the books.

There is a plan to introduce a bill in September to create a commission to review business licensing laws and similar unjust regulations.

Excellent, Smithers........

And YES, you ARE qualified, Mike.... You're a small business owner, AND I think that explaining the story from a first hand perspective will sway a lot of people on the committee, whose recommendation is all-important to it's passage through the legislature.

JM

Lloyd Danforth

I'm sure these lawmakers see the silliness of licensing for manicurists and hairwashers, but, we need to convince them to end business licensing altogether.

jgmaynard

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, Lloyd..... :)

JM

Russell Kanning

They  could first get rid of the overnight in jail penalty......then cheaper licenses.....then less training needed.....then no training.....then no license. :)

They should do all of that over the next month.  8)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: jgmaynard on June 10, 2005, 10:50 AM NHFT
And YES, you ARE qualified, Mike.... You're a small business owner, AND I think that explaining the story from a first hand perspective will sway a lot of people on the committee, whose recommendation is all-important to it's passage through the legislature.

It is very useful to let people know about the harm done by the law, but such harm is not the primary argument against the law.

The primary argument is this:

Licensing laws take away a consumer's rights and responsibilities in an attempt to protect him from small risks - risks that a responsible consumer will easily minimize on his own in the absence of these laws.  These rights and responsibilities should not be taken away from us as consumers.

That's it!

Do you really need me at all?  :)

JonM

Yes we need you.  It is much harder to ignore the words of someone who has been thrown in jail for something as ridiculous as giving a manicure without a license when they explain that these licensing laws go too far.  If it's someone else describing your experience it will not hold as much weight as it would coming from you.

Michael Fisher

Point well received.

But from the perspective of the "primary argument" I outlined above, it is obvious that Kat's rights are the primary focus of our argument.  Kat would be the best one to talk about her consumer rights and responsibilities.  I suffered for her rights and responsibilities as much as for my right to start a business without the government's permission!

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: jgmaynard on June 10, 2005, 11:15 AM NHFT
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, Lloyd..... :)

JM

I know that Jim, I just try to resist getting all giddy when I don't stumble during that first step ;)

Dave Ridley

Outlaw manicurist LTE in Monitor

To each his own, CALVIN PRATT, Goffstown - Letter

May 26. 2005 8:06AM

I
appreciate Bill Dampier's understanding of the event staged by the rogue manicurist Mike Fisher that led to his arrest (Monitor"My turn," May 24). It is truly a waste of limited government resources to pursue police and court action for the alleged "crime" of a voluntary manicure.

However, as the media contact for the Free State Project in this area, I must correct an error in Mr. Dampier's commentary. The FSP is a grassroots independent movement not affiliated with any political party. We welcome members from all parties who deeply care about the erosion of liberty that has occurred in this country in recent decades, which is why we have a large number of Libertarian Party members. However, the party itself is not associated with the FSP nor is our organization working actively to get Libertarian Party candidates elected.

Whatever goals our members pursue are entirely up to them. How could it be any other way if you truly respect freedom of choice?

CALVIN PRATT

Goffstown