• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

You made the paper

Started by Erethizon, January 07, 2005, 01:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Erethizon

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/01072005/news/57674.htm

Group plans to protest Hampton apartment lawsuit

HAMPTON - A group calling itself the Liberty Tree Society is planning "an anti-zoning demonstration" in support of two Hampton women who are being sued by the town?s building inspector for construction of an allegedly illegal apartment in a neighborhood zoned for single-family homes.

Liberty Tree Society spokesman Jim Perry said plans for the demonstration were made after he and other members of the group read an electronic version of a story published in the Herald on Jan. 3 that described the lawsuit. The demonstration is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. on Jan. 25 at the Rockingham County Courthouse, to coincide with the scheduled court appearance of Myrtle Woodward and her niece, Barbara Burbank.

Woodward and Burbank are named as defendants in a lawsuit filed by Hampton building inspector Kevin Schultz claiming that the two ignored previous decisions by the town that prohibited the construction of an apartment over the garage at the Winnacunnet Road home they share with Burbank?s daughter, Kim.

The suit, filed Dec. 13 in Superior Court, asks the court to order the women to demolish everything not approved by the town, prohibit further construction and pay the town?s costs and legal fees as well as a $275-per-day fine for every day since Feb. 27, 2003.

Burbank estimates that the civil penalties add up to more than $185,000. She told the Herald last week that she had promised not to put her 95-year-old aunt in a nursing home and hoped to use the garage apartment for her daughter, who is allergic to Woodward?s long-haired cats.

Perry said the Herald story "really caught our attention" and motivated members of the Liberty Tree Society to take action.

He described the Liberty Tree Society as "a mishmash" of New Hampshire residents, including members of the Free State Project, the Libertarian Party, the Republican Liberty Caucus and the Constitution Party, among others, seeking to "take back rights and freedoms being trampled on."

The lawsuit against Burbank and Woodward was filed after the Hampton building inspector, the assistant building inspector and a police officer arrived at their home on Nov. 19 with a court-issued search warrant to gather information about their over-the-garage living space. The suit details an elaborate two-bedroom apartment that includes a kitchen and laundry room. The women say Schultz found a sink and washing machine stored in the area but that neither has ever been connected to the plumbing system.

"We are asking for all pro-freedom, pro-liberty residents of the state of New Hampshire, and in all other New England states, to come out to Rockingham County Superior Court to show support to Burbank and Woodward ... and to protest our government?s use of authority to break up families and destroy private-property rights," Perry said in a prepared statement issued Thursday.

Reached on Thursday afternoon, Burbank said she hadn?t yet heard about the protest on her behalf but was pleased to learn of the support.

"That?s fantastic. I?m thrilled," she said. "We?re just a family trying to stay together and help each other."

jcpliberty

Lloyd Danforth

Dave Ridley

Russell Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Michael Fisher

"We?re just a family trying to stay together and help each other."

Oh MAN, this article did some serious damage to the other side!

I'm going to tell everyone I know about this.  And I have a LOT of contacts.

This will be very interesting.

AlanM

I wonder how Kevin Schultz "THe Grinch of Hampton" is sleeping tonight.

Michael Fisher

Can someone make an effigy of him?  Is there a Liberty Tree in Hampton yet?  Maybe we should choose one this week while we're there.   ;)

AlanM

Quote from: AlanM on January 07, 2005, 09:33 PM NHFT

Wow, 5 Stars!!!!! I guess there are benefits for those over 50. Am I the oldest here? I'm 53.
AlanM

Michael Fisher

Michael Fisher

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on January 07, 2005, 09:35 PM NHFT
Can someone make an effigy of him?? Is there a Liberty Tree in Hampton yet?? Maybe we should choose one this week while we're there.? ?;)

Oh yeah, we'll need some rope, too.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: AlanM on January 07, 2005, 09:59 PM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on January 07, 2005, 09:33 PM NHFT

Wow, 5 Stars!!!!! I guess there are benefits for those over 50. Am I the oldest here? I'm 53.
AlanM

No

jcpliberty

19 going on 20 in a few days!!!