• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

You made the paper

Started by Erethizon, January 07, 2005, 01:15 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

What I do and don't like about the way things are playing in Dover:

Very shaky to intervene in local politics from out of state, I've said that before.  I bet we will learn the hard way not to do that.

On the other hand I love that the article paints us as a right wing group because we're only strong enough to have much impact when we're allied with conservatives.    Also the article shows how hard it already is to pin us down as a group...we have no center to attack; causing lots of confusion among the liberty-challenged.  Claire Wolfe would approve. 

Lloyd Danforth

You're right Dave, the Tim Condon thing (getting out) is questionable, but, Dave Mincin, backing a Lower Tax, Pro-responsibile organization in the city he lives in, Dover, using the help of other Porcs, who have signed on for just such activities? is very, very good.
Lloyd

Kat Kanning

Kat Kanning

These nine candidates are recommended for The Charter Commission

Ted Anglace
Raymond Curti
Michael Graves
Ron Huml
David Landry
Scott Rawding
Charles Reynolds
David Weller
Phyllis Woods

The winners chosen from the pool of 35 candidates are, in order of votes received: former State Rep. Phyllis Woods, former Police Chief Charles Reynolds, former Mayor Pro Tem Tom Dunnington Jr., local attorney Allan Krans, former Mayor Wil Boc, former Fire Chief David Bibber, former fire Lt. Charles J. Mone, former City Councilor David Landry and former state House Rep. Gary Gilmore.

Looks like 3 out of the 9 were ones that Davie recommended.

Russell Kanning

I wonder... is that good or bad?

Kat Kanning

It sounded to me like neither the Dave Scotts efforts and the news article had much effect.

davemincin

Just my thoughts on our recent effort to help.

Given the number of city employees, union members, and various friends and family our chance of success rested on a large voter turnout. ?We figured that group, given there vested interest in the status quo would bring at least 1500 to the polls.

While the weather no doubt contributed to the low voter turnout, truth is we didn't do a good enough job getting the word out, but the effort and experience gained will serve us well as we move forward.

While the Seacoast Porcupines played a rather minor role in this effort, we are beginning to get involved, and are beginning to be recognized. ?On the more positive side, I believe the press we recieved and the scare we put into the progressives was in itself worth the effort. ?

As we learn and become better organized, I believe we will be able to deal with our progressive friends on a more equal footing.
Keep in mind we are just being the fight, and it will be a long one.

Bottom line, the folks should have a voice in how there local government runs, and expect we need to concentrate on letting them know that is what we are all about.

No one said this was going to be easy, but hey, remember guys, we are it! ?The last line for Freedom!

Dave

Russell Kanning

Maybe next time you guys can start informing people early and often about what you are trying to accomplish in Dover. Seems like many ordinary people don't even realize "special" elections are happening until it is too late.

davemincin

Truth is Russell, it was my call to not have a Seacoast meeting in December, and made that
call at our November meeting, before I was even aware of the Charter election.  Thinking
Holidays and family time, we needed a break from freedom stuff.

When I found out what was going on, early December, my envolvement was just as an individual.
Ask some of the folks for help, at our January meeting and they responded.

A couple days before the election, the LETTER became public.  Was just doing my best to do
damage control.  Truth is the press gave us much more credit for our envolvement that what we
actually did, and had no idea what was going to show up in print.

Do agree that in the future we need to do a better job in getting the information out.

Hey partner still learning. :)

Russell Kanning

I am totally new to this political game. :)
Maybe next time we should have a "letter" leak out for the press to gobble up way before the election. :)

rothamerica

I would like to see in the future some way for the Seacoast Porcupines to have a better handle on what goes into the press.  Not that Tim Condon's two cents caused any real problems.  But when information like that is printed in a local rag, from someone who does not live instate, and relates the information therein to some local group, the press will chew it up and spit it out, but not in the same framework as the writer intended, which could cause the local group to have to do some "damage control".  Remember, the press is liberal and could misinterperate what was really being said.  AND, at least in NH, people hate outside lobbying in local affairs, which is exactly what Tim's info may look like.  Better to have someone appointed by the local group "read" it first, and then release it to the press, so as to keep the information focus local.  Not that we want "controls" (hate that word), but just another pair of eyes to "see" what is being said. 

Russell Kanning

The only problem is that the press usually does get things wrong and intentionally misrepresent liberty minded people. No matter what we say and were we say it, they will try to spin it. So I think we should just keep shouting what we believe and try to get through to the people not the press. :)

davemincin

Sweet jesus! :D  Defending the press?  Adam was fair to me...didn't try to slant what I said.  Hey just my thought.
See that as a win for us!  Hey you guys who know me, spent an hour or more talking to him...Imagine that! ;D  Expect
he could have twisted my words, but he didn't.  What he quoted re the LETTER was true and in the letter!  Not the
the presses fault for the loose cannon crap!

More important is the FSP leadership has asked us to not use them when we do anything here as members, and I agree.
Just think we should get the same respect.  Hey LETTER writer, please help us gain more members nationally, folks
committed to come to NH and help, but keep you nose out of what we are doing until then.  You know what is good for
the goose, is good.... stuff?

Scott totally agree, guess I'm the Porc spokesman here by default, but see little we can do about getting blindsided by
someone who doesn't live here, regardless to what type of structure we have set up.

Thinking we will get better as we move forward, but know the LETTER writer got a personal mouthful from me, but have little hope that it will be of any help as we move forward.  You know, the look at me and what I am doing crap ???...Just my thought, but this ego crap gets us nothing, fortunately only a few are into that.

Oops...sorry back to the trenches! :D

rothamerica

Good thoughts, Dave.  It was great meeting you and the Seacoast group.  Look forward to getting together again.